RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried this? i know a lot of the hot rod guys will buy drag radials and the like and have them heat cycled for extended treadwear. anyone try this on a scooter tire yet?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not a new idea, it's been around for quite a while. it's hard to believe that it wouldn't be much of an advantage when getting only 5k out of a battlax or other similar tires. i don't do a lot of burn outs or anything, and don't have that much tread left after only 4200. honestly i thought that because of the lightweight of bikes that tires would go a loooong way....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Bad idea. Tires are meant to run so many heat cycles, heat them up too much and they start to break-down. Take a look at some hard worn sportbike tires, you'll see a blue tint around the edge of the tires, that means they're toast, no matter how much tread is left.

Even if you managed to produce some gain in the tires, your sure to wear out other parts of your bike faster.

Tires. Put'em on. Fill'em up. Wear them out. Repeat.

P.S. I read someplace that older dirtbike guys use to cure their tires in the sun. It hardened up the knobbies. But with new tire tech, ya don't need to do that anymore.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wasn't referring to any homegrown heat cycling procedures...i was always under the impression that it could be done by the dealer..perhaps i'm wrong

here's a link....

http://www.tirerackwholesale.com/tires/tiretech/heatcycletech.htm

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
When a tire heat cycles it gets harder & will not have the same adhesion it had when new untill it again reaches or exceeds the highest temperature it was at previously.

I ran Hoosiers (track specified tire) for years & the best ones, the fastest, were the softest, & were the ones that came out of the molds that week, as far as durameter (rubber hardness) goes as tires continually cure through out their life.

There may be some merit to the air bubble & belt thing but laboriatory testing would be required to descern any difference. I doubt weather the seat of your pants could tell any difference.

CK

·
Registered
291 Posts
Never heard of anything like what their site shows. I tend to think it's a bit of snakeoil myself, but that is a lot of equipment to design, create and then use for nothing.

AS far as our motorcycles are concerned, I've always been lead to believe that we, motorcyclists, have the most cutting edge tires/compounds first. And that the reason they do not last as long, is due to the fact that our tires have to do so much more work compaired to our cage counterparts. The Warrior is also burdened with the fact that it wears a sport tire, and 4k miles from a sport tire is pretty good. On my old Ducati, I would wear tires out in under 1k miles.

In the end the best thing you can do for your tire's life is to keep a check on tire presure. I check it every ride, every weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts