RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from down under. About a year ago I bought my Midnight Warrior after upgrading from an XVS650A - I know, a pretty big leap. I currently commute around Sydney on it every day, rain or shine. I just finally stopped doing a 50 mile round trip commute every day !

My quick question is this: I have a dent in my fuel tank and I since I ride every day I can't send the tank away to be fixed. So I am probably going to buy another tank, get the old one fixed then sell it on ebay.
Can anyone suggest a better alternative since I need the bike for daily transport ?

On a disturbing note, Yamaha Australia have removed the warrior from its website:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor/index.htm?model_cat.asp?modelcatid=11

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Ive heard of dent removal kits you can get for cars. Its basically a very strong suction cup device that pulls the dent area back into proper shape. Dont know if it will work on our tins but it might be a quick/cheap fix.

Yeah yammi seems to have dropped all most All advertising for the Warrior. But then again, when was the last time you saw an ad for a V-Max and they are still around.

Welcome to the forum and the Midnight club.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How big is the dent? Sometimes you can let the vehicle sit in the sun until it's real hot and then rub an ice cube on it. Works for hail dents sometimes.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bore_pig

How big is the dent? Sometimes you can let the vehicle sit in the sun until it's real hot and then rub an ice cube on it. Works for hail dents sometimes.

Is this true or are you kidding???????????????????????????????

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dude143a

Is this true or are you kidding???????????????????????????????

I haven't tried it, but it doesn't sound too far-fetched.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

I heard the same thing but with dry ice not regular ice.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
rapid cooling will cause the metal to "shrink" a bit which could in turn cause the dent to pop back out. Will it work... dont know... but it cant hurt to try.

Another option I heard of that should work (in theory anyway)... Plug every hole/fitting as tightly as possible. fill the tank with warm water to the very very top. Leave little to no air. Stick it in your freezer for 24 hrs. The water will expand as it freezez and since the dent will be a pressure point against the ice it will push the dent back into shape. I HAVE used this to de-dent an exhaust pipe on my 1/8th scale RC truck and it worked beautifully. But its MUCH smaller with a much thicker guage steel. WARNING!!! You run the risk of deforming the tank should the ice harden unevenly so instead of a dent you have a bump.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like a couple of interesting ways to remove dents. Makes me want to dent my tank just to see if either of these methods work[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Course maybe I could just submit this challenge to the myth busters

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who responded. There seems to be alot of people riding warriors in the US, but ive only ever seen one other in Australia on the road.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have seen the ice cube work. That freezer trick sounds scary![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Hope I get a chance to try it on something sometime. Just gotta cross my fingers that it won't be my tank![/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
i would try the heated tank and dry ice, but would never try the water and freezer trick on my yank. Your original Ebay idea is probably the best. I got an almost perfect tank for 150. Got outbid and then other guy didn't buy. Worked for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Get the other tank get it painted and keep it and change it when you want to sell it do you don't worry about further demts. I have two front fender for just that reason.

·
Registered
395 Posts
thats a great idea about the freezer, it may work on some things but not the gas tank. the ice will expand everywhere and deform the tank. since were in theory mode, you could also get a miget to crawl in there with a rubber hammer and knock it inside out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts