RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just picked up my bike from the dealership 2wks ago. this is my first bike and i absolutely love it. now i just have to learn how to ride lol. heres a couple pics:

Insert Image:

57.5 KB

Insert Image:

50.6 KB

Insert Image:

58.16 KB

DAMAGE PICS ON PAGE 3

when i got the bike off the truck and into my job parking lot i began to teach my self how to ride lol well i was doing fine for the first 2hrs putting along but at the end of the third mile i wound up laying the bike down at about 18mph and sliding on the clutch side for about 20 ft. i am ok there is minimal damage to the bike but i would like to know if you guys can recommend agood place to get oem parts for cheap

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome to the forum...I have about 10 miles of riding time on mine and I love it. I have ridden on other bikes in the past and this is a dramatic increase in enjoyment, and that is only 10 miles of ride time. You might have a hard time ever going to anything else after.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys im looking forward to learning all that i can from this forum

i have a couple questions for eveyone what does your bike idle at? mine idles at 1000 and can do 10mph with no throttle is this normal?

and when you release the throttle in 1st gear from 1500 rpm does your bike dive forward like you just locked the front brake?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
1st, welcome to the best dam forum on the web!

2nd, this is your 1st bike, and with your minimal riding experience you may do well to invest in a driver training course. learning by dropping can get expensive, not to mention dangerous.

I'd recommend MINIMALY spending some quiet time in a LARGE parking lot somewhere when it's empty so you can practice. Last thing you want to do is drop it in traffic at higher speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wasnt planning on riding till i went to the training but the excitement got the better of me but it is a lesson i will never forget.
i was in the parking lot of my job at low speed learning how to ride it i was just about to put it away when i hit the deck too lol

i dented the gas tank bent my clutch lever chewed up my passenger foot peg adn got some road rash

but i am definately going to the driver training courses

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on the W W W.

Once the bike is fully warmed up, the idle speed is 900RPM. Fully warmed up is after riding it for about 15 min.

I would not ride it at idle and the clutch fully engaged. The motor is putting out minimal power. One hickup and you are going down.

As gchalifo said, get some training. All new riders go down at low speed.

Parking lots at this time of year and in this part of the country are not good places to learn. They are covered in sand and salt, elimination traction and the salt will age the bike before it's time.

Also, don't wash the salt with warm water. It will activate the corossive nature of the salt, use cool water.

Enough of a lecture. Welcome and Congratulations.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
on another note, I think I saw a midnight tank on ebay. unless you want to live with the dent for a while til you are ready to either repair or replace it.

BTW,,,I dented my share of tanks. They are easy to fix. Little sanding and a little bondo and walla...then the challange is trying to match the repair to the tank, OR repainting the tank. Thats why I mentioned the ebay option ->http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-XV17-Road-Star-Midnight-Warrior-Fuel-Gas-Tank_W0QQitemZ260215745702QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260215745702

Also keep an eye on the classifieds section of this forum, as well as the "WANTED" section, where you can post your needs and see if someone can help out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info on the salt bear and ty gchalifo for the link i am in the process of trying to get the parts replaced/repaired

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i also was thinking of switching my grips cause the stock ones are to sticky but i would like to keep as much black as i can on the grips any recommendations?

the other thing that i was looking for an opinion on is that i am 6'-0" 350lbs do you think i should have the dealer stiffen the suspension a little to stop it from traveling so far?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
The tool is in your tool pouch under the seat. I think its called a spanner wrench? You should be able to do this yourself man.

locate your spring preload adjustment nut and lock nut from the back underside of the bike. It would be easier if you had a lift, but I believe you can do this right on your back on the ground.

back the lock nut off, then crank the nut forward til you have say 1/2 to 3/4" thread showing, then roll the lock nut back up to the adjuster nut. You should feel a considerable differance.

if I am off track on this one of the other pro's will slap me silly and tell you how to do it yourself. After all, I learned from them!![/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

1 thing you will learn quickly.....is the dealers will KILL you...I mean suck you dry of all your spending money.

If however you feel more comfortable having the shop do it...by all means go for it.

quote:Originally posted by MIDKNIGHT

i also was thinking of switching my grips cause the stock ones are to sticky but i would like to keep as much black as i can on the grips any recommendations?

Oh, you should locate and download the service manual and start looking through it...it is VERY helpful,,,here ya go;
http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/handbuch/handbuch.htm#warrior

the other thing that i was looking for an opinion on is that i am 6'-0" 350lbs do you think i should have the dealer stiffen the suspension a little to stop it from traveling so far?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. That sucks that you dumped your brand new bike like that though. Hopefully it won't be too costly but I'd definitely recommend taking a safety riding course for sure. Lower insurance rates, proper practice techniques, a possible DMV drive test exemption, and a whole lot of useful tips on not just safety but bike maintenance and gear selection as well. I'd kind of agree with the above about not completely trusting your dealer to always do what's in your best interest also. Afterall, you have never ridden a motorcycle and they just sold you a 1700cc beast to learn on. Hopefully now that you've sent it sliding across the lot 20' you've got that all out of your system and can keep control of it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Like everyone else already said, the riders safety course is fantastic!!!!
Even after years fo riding bikes, you DO learn quite a bit.
Welcome by the way !!!!
Sorry to hear about the bike, but I am sure you will have it fixed in no time at all.
Also, great to see that Yamaha finally got rid of that "water heater" exhaust !!! lol
Enjoy the bike, the forum and RIDE SAFE !!!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts