RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First off I've been lurking these forums for a couple weeks. I'm looking to buy my first motorcycle and currently I have little to zero riding experience. I'm going to sign up for a MSF course and I'm technically shopping around now.

Why do i want a bike? My father in-law rides and most of my friends dads ride. My father in-law has owned many bikes but just traded in his '05 Kawasaki Vulcan classic on a Victory Kingpin. He swears up and down by the Vulcan and wants me to buy one. I however am more drawn to the sport cruisers like the warrior, M109 or meanstreak. I like the way they look and after going to the dealership here and siting on a few I realize I need a bigger bike for my body. Dealer said at least a 1300 or bigger.

My question is this. Is a warrior too much bike for a new rider? Do I need to sacrifice the looks I like for something less "cool" but more of a "safe" choice. My wife is ok with whatever and wants me to be happy as long as we don't go broke buying it.

I've been all over these forums and other forums that relate to the motorcycles I'm interested in and I keep coming back to rswarrior.com. You seem to have a great helpful commmunity and seem very helpful to newbies. Thanks in advance. I'll probably not post much since I can't share stories but I'll be reading. Thanks again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
hey dude... I had zero riding experience i just took the msf course and went bike shopping.. i fell in love with the warrior, to the point that i just could not stop talking about how good it looked.... and just like you, i tought it was a little out of my league sinse i had no experience. but a good friend said something that made sense, "why get a small bike that u will out grow in a few months when u could get a bike that u will not out grow and all you will need is a little self control while you get confortable"... well, went out the next day and bought the bike....... it was the best decision i have made:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
papajakx said:
hey dude... I had zero riding experience i just took the msf course and went bike shopping.. i fell in love with the warrior, to the point that i just could not stop talking about how good it looked.... and just like you, i tought it was a little out of my league sinse i had no experience. but a good friend said something that made sense, "why get a small bike that u will out grow in a few months when u could get a bike that u will not out grow and all you will need is a little self control while you get confortable"... well, went out the next day and bought the bike....... it was the best decision i have made:)

I was basically in the same boat.. hadn't ridden a bike in YEARS, and never anything over 600cc. A friend of mine said the same thing to me.. "why get something you are going to grow out of and trade next season, go for it!". My first few rides on the Warrior were a bitscary, but I grew into it quickly and have NEVER regretted it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
First off I'd like you to considerbuying used. Let someone else take the loss and hopefully you will beat the odds and not ever have any problem (crash, lay down, etc) on this first bike. Then you can sell it without losing money like you would buying new and be in a better place to buy what you REALLY want once you get some experience and a better knowledge of what's what. Above any other advice (other then making SURE you take the MSF) that would be my first recommendation.

As far as what bike to start on, I'd say the Warrior is a lot of bike for a beginner. A whole lot actually. It can, and has been done many times as you'll soon see from replies to this but you'll need to show patience, respect, responsibility, and have a little luck. A Vulcan or a V-Star 1300 or something of that nature would probably be a better choice and you can find those bikes used much easier and cheaper and at that size you shouldn't grow out of it too quick (some never go bigger). If you find a used Meanstreak it could also be a good starter for some because they are less bulky feeling (my little wife likes it) but if you're that large it may feel too small physically for you even though it offers enough power. Whatever you get, don't force yourself and the wife to believe it HAS to be THE one you stick with.

With that said though, if you're a patient and responsible type of person and happen to come across a Warrior at some really great price (nice condition under5500 or so) then it would probably be foolish NOT to take it. It's an excellent bike and easily the choice over the other two afterall.

Best of luck on whatever you decide and welcome to the forum. And make SURE you take that MSF course asap, it's worth every penny and will give you such a good base of knowledge to practice from and start gaining experience from.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Marco Polo said:
First off I'd like you to considerbuying used. Let someone else take the loss and hopefully you will beat the odds and not ever have any problem (crash, lay down, etc) on this first bike. Then you can sell it without losing money like you would buying new and be in a better place to buy what you REALLY want once you get some experience and a better knowledge of what's what. Above any other advice (other then making SURE you take the MSF) that would be my first recommendation.

As far as what bike to start on, I'd say the Warrior is a lot of bike for a beginner. A whole lot actually. It can, and has been done many times as you'll soon see from replies to this but you'll need to show patience, respect, responsibility, and have a little luck. A Vulcan or a V-Star 1300 or something of that nature would probably be a better choice and you can find those bikes used much easier and cheaper and at that size you shouldn't grow out of it too quick (some never go bigger). If you find a used Meanstreak it could also be a good starter for some because they are less bulky feeling (my little wife likes it) but if you're that large it may feel too small physically for you even though it offers enough power. Whatever you get, don't force yourself and the wife to believe it HAS to be THE one you stick with.

With that said though, if you're a patient and responsible type of person and happen to come across a Warrior at some really great price (nice condition under5500 or so) then it would probably be foolish NOT to take it. It's an excellent bike and easily the choice over the other two afterall.

Best of luck on whatever you decide and welcome to the forum. And make SURE you take that MSF course asap, it's worth every penny and will give you such a good base of knowledge to practice from and start gaining experience from.

+1

I would go used for your first bike. It drives me crazy when people mention the warrior/begginer bike in the same sentence. Comparing the warrior as a begginers bike is like comparing a GSX-R 1000 as a beginner bike on the sport bike aspect.

This thing has massive torque and if you are not use to working that throttle right; the warrior will buck you off before you know what happened. I would stick with something under 1300cc until you hone your MC skills. My buddy has a Honda VTX 1300 and that bike has plenty of power. He even impresses me with that bike when we are riding side by side.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hi Athos.

Welcome to the forum. The Warrior is indeed an awesome machine. It looks mean and stylish at the same time. It is renowned for its braking and handling (at least in the sport-cruiser world). It is a blast at the stop lights. And there is no limit to the hours that you can spending modding it -- both performance and cosmetic mods.

Zero riding experience? Hmmm...

I bought my Warrior 18 months ago. It was the first, and still only street bike I have ever ridden. However, I had ridden dirt bikes for years, which certainly gives one a sense for how easily and quickly something can go differently than planned when riding around other people or even by yourself. I also had the same dilemma when I bought the Warrior. I knew I wanted a sport-cruiser (versus full sport or full cruiser), and was looking at the same bikes that you are considering. I was also wondering if I should start out on something smaller (less power and less weight) to learn on. In the end, I made the decision that I'd buy the right bike the first time. I was pretty sure that I would out-grow a Virago very quickly, and I would have.

I remember being scared the first time I rode it and was full of anticipation the first couple months. 18 months and 6000 miles later, I have a healthy dose of respect for the machine. I'm basically still learning how to ride -- my limits, the bike's limits, always being on the defense when riding, ready to execute my escape plan when the car next to me starts coming into my lane.

Definitely take the MSF course, at least once. Definitely buy used. Definitely spend LOTS of time and miles practicing your maneuvers -- find a large empty church parking lot, next to a hospital (that's what my MSF course instructor told our class)

Hope to see you around, if you end up with the Warrior.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome to the greatest forum on the web. I have stated before, dealers should use this site as a perk to buying a warrrior. I would say there's more knowledge on this site than at your local dealer!! anyway....

I had never owned or even rode a street bike before buying my midnight (the best color hehe) not quite 2yrs ago. I grew up ridingdirt bikes andquads butnothing for the past few yrs though. I would say if you've had experience riding dirt bikes thenyou should be fine for many 125's will pull harder than a warrior.No one's mentioned this so far, butthe warrior is pretty light in weight ESPECIALLY compared to thatM109 (looked at those as well). I was also looking at the Vulcan (meanstreak) and when I saw my warrior sitting in the show room,it was a hands down decision.

I agree with Marco, try to find a used one first. You can find one that's already been modded out and save you some time and $$$$

Good luck and hope to see you around.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reall appreciate the warm welcome and kind advice. I've always wanted to ride but my parents never had the money (or nerve) to let me get one. Now I'm out of my twenties and looking for a grown up hobby (I mastered drikng in college so now it's time to put that behind me).

Looks aren't the only reason I'm interested in the warrior but it is a big plus. When I went to the local dealer I sat on several and before leaving the guy showed me a warrior. Honestly I was dreaming exclusively of the Meanstreak prior to that.

Seeing the upgrades and tweaks many of you have done/are doing makes me drool. As a few of you said I don't want a bike I'll out grow in a year. Frankly, I like being different as well and after looking at the Arkansas rider section of the forum it looks like this would be different enough around here. Sure, price matters but the local dealer has good prices and is willing to deal with me since my father in-law has been such a good customer.

So I love the Warrior for those reasons. Give me some reasons to think twice about it. I know that's an odd question but give me to bad and ugly side. I like to have a 360 degree view and who better to give that honestly than current owners?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Athos said:
Give me some reasons to think twice about it. I know that's an odd question but give me to bad and ugly side.

lol I completely understand this logic. I have a post currentlyasking for any downsides of something I'm considering as well. Hmm... let's see.... Well, for starters you might get tired of people always coming up to you when you put the stand down telling you how great your bike looks and then asking what it is (never got old to me). It has gone relatively completely unchanged since the first year. Part of that is due to how well done it already it is but part is due to them not thinking their Warrior market is worth listening to when it comes to recommendations about the exhaust and other minor things. Oh, here's one... the Warrior's signature quirk is that it has a lot of popping and even backfiring on decel even when no tuning or other problem exist. Some like it, some just live with it, most do the AIS block and get a good dyno map for their PCIII. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who likes the stock seat for comfort also. If you buy used you'll need to check and see if it's recalls have been done. All minor stuff but that's all I could think of.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, here's one...  the Warrior's signature quirk is that it has a lot of popping and even backfiring on decel even when no tuning or other problem exist.  Some like it, some just live with it, most do the AIS block and get a good dyno map for their PCIII.  You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who likes the stock seat for comfort also.  If you buy used you'll need to check and see if it's recalls have been done.  All minor stuff but that's all I could think of.
Does this problem ever cause stalling?

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Most of the time if a warrior stalls, it is because the idle is set to low. That being said the warrior has gobs of torque, so if you buy the warrior as a first bike learn throttle control. What I mean is the warrior can get from point a to point b in a hurry. But it can also just relax and lope around until you get there. Its all in the right wrist.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Athos said:

Nope. It backfires on decel because of the AIS which is an emission control thing, it pumps fresh air into the exhaust. Completely useless and only cost $18 to get rid of.

#1 thing I hate about the warrior: People coming up to you to ask "what kinda of Harley is that"or "is that a vrod"

LikeMarco said, getting gas might take a little longer than usual cause people will wanna know more about thebike lol. OH and the mod bugcan bite HARD so hold onto that wallet lol

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Athos said:
Oh, here's one... the Warrior's signature quirk is that it has a lot of popping and even backfiring on decel even when no tuning or other problem exist. Some like it, some just live with it, most do the AIS block and get a good dyno map for their PCIII. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who likes the stock seat for comfort also. If you buy used you'll need to check and see if it's recalls have been done. All minor stuff but that's all I could think of.

I've seen a few post where people complained that during the break in period they had stalls occassionally that cleared up after that period but I'm more inclined to say their idle was misadjusted (as mentioned already) or that they experienced the problem when not letting the bike warm up before taking off on a cold day or that sort of thing. If that was a common problem it wouldn't be just a few post, it would be a well known thing by everyone here. I wouldn't let that affect your decision in other words. The TPS and CPS recalls can stall you if they haven't been done but it varies. Some have gone several years before they ever thought about having them replaced. I don't think recalls are too uncommon for vehicles and it's better to have them then be a M109 owner hoping they'll issue a recall for your faulty shaft drive but being continually refused.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
wyomingwarrior said:
OH and the mod bugcan bite HARD so hold onto that wallet lol

Oh yeah, that's probably the worst one actually.
On the plus side, if you don't count the mod money you put in your bike you can easily sell them for more then what you paid for it. lol

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I know lots of people try to get rid of that occasional signature Warrior 'popping'. I would be disappointed if my Warrior stopped popping. Personally, I love the sound. It's an attention-getter. It's a bad-ass bike, and it makes a lot of noise! hee hee...

·
Registered
154 Posts
My first bike is a Warrior. I almost pulled the trigger on a 650V-star, would have been a huge mistake. Just respect the power the Warrior has and you will be fine. Good luck!

Dino

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
hey Athos,

I got my Warrior from your neck of the woods. It was at Searcy yamaha or is it called sunrise? They are right next to each other you know

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Arkansas Warrior said:
hey Athos,

I got my Warrior from your neck of the woods. It was at Searcy yamaha or is it called sunrise? They are right next to each other you know

I saw you on here and told my wife there was a guy from Jonesboro and someone else recently said something about Marietta, OH which is where I lived for about 10 years before moving south. I don't know if those are signs saying buy this motorcycle but it is nice to find such a welcoming and friendly community.

I was shopping around Sunrise Honda and thier used motorcyles when I saw one of the 3 Warriors they had sitting around in there. As I said before I was kind of looking for a Means Streak and they had one but after sitting on it and looking at some of the other thigns they had I decided the MS wasn't for me althoguh they look cool.

I am seriously shopping around and obviously not going to do anythign until after I take my saftey course but I just keep coming back to this forum and the looks of the warrior. If it rides as well as it looks I honestly don't think I'll be able to go with anythign else.

So, I'll ask another question and keep this thread alive. Long rides...how is it? I read all over the internet that it beats some machines in the 1/4 mile and seems to be the best sport cruiser for the twisties but my friends live in Nashville/Bowling Green and my folks and quite a few other friends live in Ohio. Am I even gonna want to try and take it on long trips? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It was good to read your note, because I am the same way. I don't have any riding experience yet, but I plan to buy a new Warrior. I'm an engineer and I can afford it, so I hope everyone doesn't resent me for that, I think people recommend that you get a used bike because new ones are expensive. But I like new becauseI will know where it's been. My ex-wife got a Yamaha Majesty scooter from a guy who sold it cheap, such a great deal, and it turns out it had some serious damage that had to be fixed later $$.

But I appreciate your questions, becauseI needed to hear some of the responses, too. Thanks to everyone! But the research I have done has not come up with anything better than the Warrior yet, no matter what angle you look from, technical, reliable, quality, handling; and very well-liked by the ones who own them.

I have my Rider Training Course (MSF) set for April 2 and 3 here in Houston at AwesomeCycles,I can hardly wait to get started. I will probably go to the Yamaha (Star) dealer the next day (Just kidding, butI thinkI'm going to WANT to buy one right away.)

Thanks again,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts