RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on numerous different websites that your sopposed to replace your helmet every three years. I bought a SHOE RF-1000 back in the spring of 2004. I bought it when I purchased my first street bike. An 04 Honda CBR600RR. I had that bike for two seasons, and sold it. Then my helmet sat on a shelf until August of this year when I bought my warrior. I'm still using the helmet even though it's over four years old. I paid almost $300 for this helmet, and there is nothing wrong with it. It has never sustained an impact and is in perfect condition.

I was just wondering why they reccomend replacing the helmet every three years, and also how many people actually follow this advice? I just can't see somebody throwing an undamaged helmet in the trash at three years of age.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
Cited most often areUV rays, sunlight breaking down the composites. In MN you'd be likely getting more than three years I would GUESS. Our helmets from Arizona, which were white to avoid brain-baking, stood up well for three years and we still use them as spares. The black helmets don't last so long. I guess I'm not as sold on the three-year lifespan as some guys. For one thing, it doesn't seem to matter how long a helmet was in the box before being sold. I'm sure other opinions will chime in maybe there's better reasons I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The sweat from your head breaks down the lining inside after a while.As for the 3 years...LOL.It's so the helmet manufacturers & the stealerships can make money.IMO as long as a helmet hasn't been in an accident where it hit something or the lining is rotted out like my 33 year old TrackStar they should do their job of protecting your head.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i replace mine every few years.... just because but still keep them as spares..... incase one gets soked but i always herd 5 years because the foam starts to break down over time but to each his own

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's the salt in your sweatages your helmet.ware a do rag or balaclava.Most helmet manufactures willinspectthe condition for service and return. Simpson would just charge me for the shipping....It's your head....What is it worthto U ?

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
+1 - except I've seen the damage UV rays do in hot sunny climates like Arizona. I had a ten year old helmet sitting on the seat one time and it rolled off. It cracked almost in half when it hit the ground. So I believe UV does damage. Otherwise I'm with you on this.

HoosierBusa said:
The sweat from your head breaks down the lining inside after a while.As for the 3 years...LOL.It's so the helmet manufacturers & the stealerships can make money.IMO as long as a helmet hasn't been in an accident where it hit something or the lining is rotted out like my 33 year old TrackStar they should do their job of protecting your head.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
read the Snell [us]and Sharp [uk] reports recently on testing helmets it's hard to decide whether £300 [say$600] is the answer - i go with sSnell [talks more commom sense] on if you're going to hit something so hard you need a carbon fibre helmet your brain may survive but your bod has had it!! - he talked of the most important part being after a nano secs contact, the shocked brain needs room to swell a bit to survive, so the lining thickness and density is just as important to let your head have a bit of room apparently - the upshot for me is i'm riding a bikewith great gruntaccelaration, but i'm notbreaking the soundbarrier so i chose a plastics based Viper with bluetooth phone/music built in [that bit costs $20 and works perfectly at any speed - helmet is plasticflip face with black pilot visor £149 ukas i use it to go into city to site meetings, i hate arriving to find loads of missed calls - as Arizona says, plastic's ok, buti change mine every couple of years at those sort of prices - the other interesting bit waspiercing of a helmet in an accident was very very rare, it's that momemt ofcontact when the helmets better starting to brakeup to sbsorb the shock that is critical [much like the front end of cars these days]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts