RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've wanted a bike for years now and I wanted a warrior(or vtx1800c- I cant help it, its a nice looking bike as well /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

well, the bug bit me hard a few days ago and I want to get one bad.

Problem is, a rs warrior is around 7500. I have $5000 and 0 credit so I cant get financed.

Questions:

1. Should I get a bike now for under $5000 or should I wait out this winter and get what I really want next year.

2. I have never owned a bike. is it advisable to get a beater first?

3. if I should get a bike, what is a bike under $5000 that in one year will lose less than $750 of value so that I can sell it and buy my dream bike when I have saved some more money?

4 which ones are big enough for me ( 6-5, 240 lbs) I wear 36 length pants.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Wait for the warrior, riding season is almost over to learn now would be daring....IMHO.
For your height and weight you need a big ride!

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I would wait for the warrior Spudly, Metrick and I our all your size or bigger. The only thing I would recommend is forward controls and a 1000lb soring but none are required

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
For $5K, you can get yourself a pretty decent used bike. Definitely something thats not a beater. I would get something a little less than that, something that you wont feel bad if you drop it. I dont know how much bikes depreciate, since alot of owners add and add onto them their "worth" varies.

The one thing I would seriously advise you doing is to take a MSF course. Almost all insurance companies look for that and offer pretty considerable discounts. The amount you save in insurance will make up for what you spent for the course less than two years. Plus, it will make you a safer and more knowledgable rider.

I hope this helps a little.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just throwing this out there. How about a suzuki sv650 for about 4k. I read that it fits taller riders and is more forgiving

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Wait for as long as you need to and get your dream bike. I was in the same boat as you. I've never owned a bike... ****, I've never even been on a bike, but I made up my mind that I had to have a Warrior. And I have my Warrior. It's been about a month now, and I couldn't be happier.

I've heard that the Warrior isn't a beginner's bike, but I've had no problems. I trailered my bike home on a Friday, and that same night, I was on the road learning how to ride! It is definitely a whole lot of bike. If I would have gotten another bike, I wouldn't have been happy knowing that as soon as I was good enough, I'd be trading up for the Warrior that I should have gotten in the first place.

That said, I also agree with Warrior Dave, take the MSF course. Everyone I know that's taken it has taken something away from it. I plan on taking it as well, for the tips, info, experience, as well as the insurance discount!

And don't settle for anything less than your dream.

Ray

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would take the MSF course, and wait. Get what you want. Save up and get your dream bike and make it yours!! Believe me, it will be worth the wait!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Your a big dude, if you get a little beater to learn on you will look like lurch riding a moped. Just wait and get what you want. In the down time while waiting find a training school that provides bikes and learn how to ride. The warrior is no starter bike so head the advice and take a few courses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys.

I will definitely take the msf course (I need it to get my license right?)
.As things stand right now, my thinking self is telling me to wait, get my tax refund, have all the money, and buy one right around february, when prices (I hope) are down.

Darn I want to ride.

Now, road star warrior VS vtx1800c? which one will I buy?
I have two friends. One is a member of this board (troy aikman ford should ring a bell). The other one rides a vtx1800c. They both brought their bikes to work for me to check out and I honestly could not pick one I preferred.

Darn I hate it when that happens.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Take the MSF course. Learn to ride. Buy a beater to practice your skills and improve on them. Then buy the bike of your dreams.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Originally posted by CyanJaguar

thanks guys.

I will definitely take the msf course (I need it to get my license right?)

When you take the MSF course you'll get a lisence when you finish with it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It depends; if you have zero credit oppose to bad credit. If you have bad credit buy a bike for 5K. If you have no credit history this is a good time to start. The only problem a bike is consider a luxury item so it is hard to get a loan. I would go the the dealer a tell him I want to build a credit history. Buy a use bike from them not from individual. Spend 2 to 3k on the bike. Pay it off in a year and then trade it in at the same dealer. Now you have some credit history and also with that dealer. Trade the bike in for a Warrior. I the long run you will be better off. Cash is the only substitute for credit. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you get a "beater" like everyone is saying (which isn't a bad idea), be sure not to compromise mechanical well being for price just to get something to ride. I had a horrible experience with my first bike because it would not start properly or run properly (i.e. sticky throttle, electric start failed, horrible idle...) Anyway, I would suggest the course, a cheaper bike, then the Warrior. It'll make your experience and your appreciation for the Warrior that much more!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts