RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello warriors
, greetings
I don't know who to ask, sorry for the inconvenience, but I need the help of experienced people

the case is this:
I have my yamaha warrior, I want to change to 110, but I live far from the USA, I cannot send my cylinders to Patrick Racing, I could only buy the 101mm (110) pistons, but I would have to do the cylinder work here in Mexico, my question is, what needs the original cylinders to assemble the 101mm pistons?
its an impossible mission?
somebody have instructions?

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
Nice bike.

After complete disassembly a local shop can bore. The cylinders are nikasil lined, its a real nice feature. That nikasil can be done by some shops. Plus you'll need the correct rings. And gasket kits. While you have it apart you can check wear and dimensions on the other interals. Pay attention during disassembly to orientations and things like the position of the long push rod. Take pics during disassembly. Get the e-copy of the service manual with supplements: Road Star Warrior Documents

Its also possible to find bored and nikasil-lined jugs out there on-line. They must be for R*W (not plain R*).

Also, if needed, great hydraulic lifters for this beast are Melling #JB-2011 Hydraulic Lifters (I got my spares at a local car parts shop). Props to Churchkey.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
On the 110 kits, the cylinders are usually re-sleeved. You can see if Patrick Racing sells the sleeves and have the machine work done locally. Also make sure you get the right rings to work with a new sleeve rather than a nikasil lined cylinder.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A member of the Forum GDWarrior put a 110 kit in his Warrior. He would be the man to talk to. The only way I know of contacting him is through his YouTube post. However I think someone here would have an email address or something to contact him.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
On the 110 kits, the cylinders are usually re-sleeved. You can see if Patrick Racing sells the sleeves and have the machine work done locally. Also make sure you get the right rings to work with a new sleeve rather than a nikasil lined cylinder.
Alexmm Did you try this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice bike.

After complete disassembly a local shop can bore. The cylinders are nikasil lined, its a real nice feature. That nikasil can be done by some shops. Plus you'll need the correct rings. And gasket kits. While you have it apart you can check wear and dimensions on the other interals. Pay attention during disassembly to orientations and things like the position of the long push rod. Take pics during disassembly. Get the e-copy of the service manual with supplements: Road Star Warrior Documents

Its also possible to find bored and nikasil-lined jugs out there on-line. They must be for R*W (not plain R*).

Also, if needed, great hydraulic lifters for this beast are Melling #JB-2011 Hydraulic Lifters (I got my spares at a local car parts shop). Props to Churchkey.
But i only bore, or need new sleeves?
If only need to bore, the work is easy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A member of the Forum GDWarrior put a 110 kit in his Warrior. He would be the man to talk to. The only way I know of contacting him is through his YouTube post. However I think someone here would have an email address or something to contact him.
Thanks. Good idea

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
But i only bore, or need new sleeves?
If only need to bore, the work is easy
If you bore aluminum then it needs to be sleeved or it needs to be hard-plated and/or nikasil coated. That costs about $200 per jug plus the boring.

I think PR went to linings for their race bikes because its cheaper and at the time there were not many vendors doing nikasil work.

The biggest reason I did not bore this bike is the stock nikasil jug coating is race quality and very expensive to duplicate even after a 108ci bore.

I still have dreams of buying nikasil lined 122ci jugs etc but I know it will at my age never happen.

Adding: Road Star 122ci Dyno sheet Post

Note that in the years after this was posted here, the data supports the thinking that steel liners actually retain heat longer so need to be changed more often in air cooled motors. Aluminum jugs that are hard plated / Nikasil lined are known to transfer heat much much faster and today the costs have come down because there are plenty of shops qualified and experienced. Today it seems clear that there is no reason a 122ci cannot be bored hard-plated / Nikasil lined with great street success, as long as 6000rpm max and undertank cooling fans are added (simple fans and thermo switch from other motorcycles). If the pistons are also 10.5:1 the motor will approach 150hp and the pop-up's will only slightly reduce displacement. Sorta like a 360ci 5.9 magnum mopar motor transformed for hemi and hc becoming a 5.7 Hemi. Still bulletproof like the Magnum but significantly more fun!

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I sent a email to patrickracing, waiting for answer
Because if you look at their website they offer the 108 replate but the 110 kit is only offered sleeved. It might have to do with the thickness/thinness and therefore liners are needed but I am not 100% sure because I have never experimented with this. If you do decide to go with a 110 kit then a competent machine shop can bore & insert the liners and do the job for you. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts