RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 260 kit and am trying to put it all back together...however, I'm getting my butt kicked. The drawing below show's the details, but bottom line, the assembled wheel appears to be too wide to fit inside the swing arm. I suspect the problem are the spacers (piece 27) not being flush with the seals...if that is so..any help on how I fix it? The spacers seem to be hitting the internal bushings before they can mate with the seals, I'm so confused.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If I remember correctly they shouldnt sit against the seals. They are suppose to hit the bearings and leave a 1/8 inch +/- between them and the seals. Yours sound about right to me. How much more room would you say you need?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the dimensions above with a tape measure rather than a caliper, but I'd say I'm about 1/4" too big...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sounds to me like everything is sitting right from the way you describe your spacers. let me go measure my swingarm real quick

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Measure just the inside of your swingarm at the back. It is hard for me to tell with everything mounted up but it looks like im measureing right at 12 inches inside diameter. Looks like im 10 3/8"from left side to start of brake caliper bracket.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't guess it could be the rubber dampners (piece 6) in wrong? The strap connecting the skinny side to the fat side goes on top right? And it straddles the "fins" if you will in the hub?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
baclay9 said:
Measure just the inside of your swingarm at the back. It is hard for me to tell with everything mounted up but it looks like im measureing right at 12 inches inside diameter. Looks like im 10 3/8"from left side to start of brake caliper bracket.

hmmmm...thanks for measuring that up....I'm assuming then that the 12" doesn't include the thickness of the brake caliper?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to have to look at it again this weekend with a new set of eyes...it was cold in the garage today, and i think the fumes from the kerosene heater may have been effecting me!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm at my wits end...I've taken the pulley off the hub and retorqued, I've pulled the hub off the wheel several times, I've lubed **** out of everything, i just can'.t get the wheel to fit on the swingarm. when i make sure everything is all squared up, I'm still about 1/16" too wide. Tomorrow I'm going to put on of the spacers on the lathe and take some metal off.

Does anyone know what kind of clearance is necessary btw the wheel assembly and swingarm? I'm going to guess I need to be within about .030"?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What kind of swingarm is it? Maybe it warped inward during the welding process. Don't lathe anything! Your parts should slip right into a properly made swingarm. You need to find the culprit here. Dont jerry-rig it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stock swingarm....just modified for the 260. I thought it may have drawn up during the welding, but it measures right at 12", which sounds right for a stock swingarm...I'm really at a loss. Is it possible that the powder coat has added width to the assembly? Including the the swing arem, caliper, pulley, rim and hub, that 10 surfaces with coating. Even if it added only 3 mils per surface, that addes up go about 1/32"

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Man if it is that close to fitting I can't believe it won't go. I just can't believe powder coating would make a difference. Good luck with it bud, I'm kindof at a loss. Let us know what you end up with, I am really curious.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Powder coating will make a difference, especially if you have several items coated. Are your bearings seated properly. As stated before, please don't jerry rig anything that your life is staked to.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Dont shave anything, It should just slide in like stock.I have installed 240's and 260 Kits and they all go together as if it were stock.Contact the vender that did the work.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
If you are sure you have all the bearings seated properly etc then spread the swing arm a bit.

How to: Score a length of 1/2" threaded rod, 2 nuts & 2 large flat washers. Insert the threaded rod into one side of the swing arm, install in the following order: flat washer, both nuts & the last flat washer. Feed the threaded rod through the other side of the swing arm, adjust the nuts & jack the swing arm apart. Take a measurement before you start. You will have to spread it a # of times as the spring in the metal will bring it back to where it was when you started. You need to get past the spring action to get the clearance you need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds to me like it may have pulled during the welding process, I have seen this quite a bit with my work. I would try to angle the wheel slightly during install, Like start with the right side closer to the front then turn the wheel into place. Even if you have to pry it slighty, once you have everything in spin the wheel this will tell you if everything is seated properly, if it is not you will have drag on the wheel when you spin it. make sure you leave the caliper off while you check it, Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Bottom line: Yes, powdercoating can create clearance problems, especially of you have several coated in a "stack-up". I had my wheels powdercoated and really had to work to get my pulley positioned properly on the rear wheel.

I don't believe you have a swingarm issue. I think your bearings aren't fully seated. When reinstalling my wheel it's always a real tight fit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts