RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?] I have never ridden a large bike such as this i have only ever ridden dirt bikes and such - im going to enroll in a driver course at the DMV i took the test and have the permit - can you guys give me some tips on how to get used to the bike - where is the best place to try and learn ... etc..etc. thanks[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
RIDE IT! Seriously though just find an open parking lot adn ride it around. get used to the cornering and braking and acceleration.pactice take offs and stops. set up some cones and practice some handling skills.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
definitely get use to the bike before you start dropping any money in it, in terms of custom parts, paint etc..... like most beginners your gonna drop it a couple times and no sense in damaging any nice parts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Welcome to the Forums Bro. As the guys said, just take it real easy and get lots of practice in an empty parking lot somewhere. The Training Course in an absolute must for you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I was in the same boat last October. Had ridden dirt bikes for years. Never even sat on a street bike until I owned this one and rode it off the lot. I was SCARED, mostly of making a fool of myself in front of the people at the dealership.

I took a MSF course beforehand, which prepared me a little bit. But even at that course, I got stuck on an enduro dirt bike.

But, it was fine. Took off from the dealer parking lot, made the right turn at the light with no problem, and been absolutely loving it ever since.

Just take it easy on throttle, braking, and turns until you learn the bikes capabilities as well as your own. One noob to another... [8D]

Definitely recommend the MSF course.

Oh, and remember to put the kick stand down before setting the bike down. That's been my only little mistake so far. Pulled up at a party, and found myself a nice spot on the side walk where nobody would run over it. Feeling like the biggest bad ass around, I kind of forgot what I was doing. Set the bike down without putting the kick stand down. 650 pounds is REALLY heavy when it's about half way over. Adrenaline kicked in and I managed to set it up again before anything touched the ground, that wasn't supposed to. Whew. That would have been really embarrassing.

Relax and enjoy. But keep your wits about you and respect the bike, and constantly have an "exit" plan for any possible situation that could come up on the road.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Respect the power and go easy at first. Find some roads that are not heavily traveled. Find some sweeping curves and gradually move towards twisties.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I spent a lot of time riding around parking lots and stuff getting used to stopping and starting and turning and swerving at slow speeds. I found it real easy and tempting to just take off and go for a ride but you don't learn much at that speed. I think you already get the point about taking the MSF course but I'll be one more to suggest taking it. You'll get plenty of good pointers and learn techniques that will greatly reduce your chances of dumping it or getting in trouble.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great motorcycle. I'm sure you'll love it (the bike and here).

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Follow the advice above but the main thing is KNOW YOUR LIMITS! We all would rather wait for you to catch up than wait for the ambulance.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I agree with taking it easy for a while but dont ride too slow. Its definatly easier to manouver with a little speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Take a motorcycle safety course.

I took one last year and I have been riding for over 20 years.

Your life is worth the small investment. You can also find a parking lot (empty) and work on your skills as suggested above before your class. Always be alert and drive defensively.

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around for a long time!

John

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
+1 on the MSF course and lightly traveled roads. Most important thing to learn is how to STOP! Try to give yourself plenty of room to react till you get more comfortable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your great advice it will help me greatly in learning to ride - I am not alone with friends such as these.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts