RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brewery I work for handed down a old Mac box ...years ago we removed the latching system that holds the door shut when locked because we lost the key...now I'm in need of this latch system to make box lock again .but I need a model number ...I don't see a serial plate or engraving anywhere.....there was fire damage to the left side ....so maybe it was removed ....here are pics of the box
Wood Packing materials Gas Box Rectangle

Wood Rectangle Gas Magenta Composite material

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Heftysmurf
I spent 4 hours cleaning this thing with **** and span and I could not find any stamps ...I heard it got painted to cover some of the damage you see .
Other than that no stamps it may be buried underneath the paint.
Good news is the casters weren't too bad though I don't think those are original Mac coasters..
I'm missing a few clips on the slides the slides don't look too bad but I'd like to replace those as well.
Going to try some removal stuff on the handles and cart handle.....
The real question is should I sand this thing down ...and try to do a better paint job ?
Outerwear Sleeve T-shirt Gesture Glove

Hood Rectangle Wood Automotive lighting Red

Rectangle Wood Chair Gas Composite material

Attachments

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
Those mechanic's roll-away boxes can be roughly dated by the drawer handles. Into the 1960's they were fastened with nuts and bolts. Early 1970's they went with blind holes meaning just screws from the inside of the drawer. Later in 1970's the drawer handles were still blind but were cast with Mac in them, which is what your box has. Maybe by the 1990's the drawer handles were integrated into the sheet metal (no longer a separate thing).

My bet is the back of the box was black-ink-stamped with the model info. That box might have a dolly-frame under it, a square frame with the four casters bolted into it, and the box sat on and was bolted to that frame. Some had sheet metal in the frame so it's a solid dolly and not an open frame dolly. I mention it because some bottom roll-away boxes were stamped on the bottom.

You can contact Mac Tools and send those pictures and suggest it's likely a 1970-1980 era box and you want to find parts. These days who knows if they will take the time.

If it were me, I would remove the tumbler (retainer clip underneath behind the box face) and take it to a locksmith. With the tumbler out you should see the locking rod and might follow it to be sure if you need any of those parts in order to make it lock.

Those style boxes were not known for having great drawer glides. But modern glides are sturdier. I would not buy old used glides. Unless you don't intend to stock very much weight in the drawers.

I think it might have been in that era when Mac also made a couple other brands or maybe got bought, and some parts were shared between brands (different color paint). One of the younger guys might remember better.

I think I remember seeing those style boxes in factory maintenance shops where they did not get moved very far. I think the automotive shop boxes had bigger (transport) casters. Again, maybe Mac will know. Sort out the casters before loading the box.

Woody might remember more.

If I'm remembering something wrong I hope someone sets the record straight!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@arizonawarrior I will check the bottom again I was so busy cleaning I think I just got in the zone ...

Yea those casters on it now seems tiny for such a heavy cart ...and boy is it heavy ...

I was on the phone with Mac about the box and when I described the handles the guy pretty much knew it was a really old box....
He said they don't really have parts for that box anymore ...

I brought up casters he said no...then again it probably didn't help that I didn't know the model number ...

As for the glides kinda wonder if I can upgrade to ball bearing glides ...

And the key cylinder is at the locksmith as we speak ...I followed the key cylinder to the back where there was a rod screwed into the cylinder the rod had a horse head that lifts a duel water fall hook system. To lock and unlock the drawers...hope that made sense.

So now I'm crossing fingers on locksmith.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Seems like you are well on your way. I personally like the old paint with the patina as it has character. I would do the upgrades like the roller bearing slides and maybe some nicer casters. Other than that she is beautiful.
I have some old Kennedy boxes that are 50 & 60 years old still with the original felt inside.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
Both sides of the replacement drawer glides need to clear, plus the drawer suspension height has to be exact. It's really hard to make it happen. So you need an expert. One thing I would do is search-out a Mac Tools user forum.

Back in those days, the boxes were often just identified by base or top, number of drawers, and sometimes by industry, and sometimes by quality level. Like 7 drawer base. Or 7 drawer mechanic's base professional. They would have a catalog number if they made the catalog. But some of them got sold out of trucks as quick special items. Great tools, but confusing identification of products.

The drawer glides and casters were different for professional boxes. On some boxes the glides were matched to drawer height.

Yep on the lock, good job. That box has all full-width drawers so probably has drawer-height spring loaded rods in walled wells. When unlocked they spring up to level. When locked, the top rod gets pushed down by the cylinder rod, and the bottom of the top rod pushes the spring loaded rods below it down, locking all drawers. There were other locking systems too. But the takeaway is to inspect for missing or damaged lock system bits.

It was not uncommon for guys to weld a locking strap of some sort onto these smaller boxes. Often a flat bar in front of the drawers with hasp for padlock. Fugly, but your jobsite tools were there the next day.

·
Registered
2005 Warrior Midnight
59 Posts
Nice box, Garage Journal forum is great for toolbox/tool info. Think here but for tooling. I’d leave the paint and enjoy it as is. Dry graphite works great for living the slides.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Tquinlan I did join that forum ...and believe or not I have got more information here than there lol.
But I will post again with them ...so far I'm 8 hours of cleaning ...
And just got the tumbler back from locksmith he was able to make it match my Mac side locker that that was cool ...

I found a Mac dealer I sent him pictures of my box ...now I'm crossing fingers that Mac backs up there product...I just wanna replace the slides

·
Registered
2005 Warrior Midnight
59 Posts
@Tquinlan I did join that forum ...and believe or not I have got more information here than there lol.
But I will post again with them ...so far I'm 8 hours of cleaning ...
And just got the tumbler back from locksmith he was able to make it match my Mac side locker that that was cool ...

I found a Mac dealer I sent him pictures of my box ...now I'm crossing fingers that Mac backs up there product...I just wanna replace the slides
They’ve been knowledgeable when I’ve been on there. I should have asked our Mac guy today if you don’t get anywhere with it let me know and I’ll text him some pictures.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
That's a ~35 year old box. I'd say they supported it longer than most.

+1 I wouldn't bother painting it. Address the structure and toss a few drawer liners into it. Fill it up and get on with yer bike mods!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They’ve been knowledgeable when I’ve been on there. I should have asked our Mac guy today if you don’t get anywhere with it let me know and I’ll text him some pictures.
So far no response from MY local Mac dealer .so if you have any helpful info I would be grateful.....I feel like because there is no stamp or sticker they are trying to dodge this .I would just like to replace the slides even if there is a cost

·
Registered
2005 Warrior Midnight
59 Posts
Reactions: 209SamoanWarrior

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Tquinlan thank you very much I'll pass the info ...I was working on my warrior last night on a disassembled toolbox it was very annoying lol

·
Registered
2005 Warrior Midnight
59 Posts
Welcome I’ll ask my mac tool guy what he thinks when I see him either today or next Thursday.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,483 Posts
@Tquinlan

YOU ARE AWESOME!
YEP.

I realize there is no way to know for certain, but that probably is the exact bottom box, and scanning the referenced off-site thread provides a ton of information.

You are great!

·
Registered
2005 Warrior Midnight
59 Posts
I was wrong about the Mac making the boxes. Read somewhere that it was the other way. Matco was making the boxes for Mac. Might be someone else to talk to?

Reactions: arizonawarrior

·
Registered
2005 Warrior Midnight
59 Posts
Talked to our Mac Tools Salesman yesterday. They don't have any parts for those boxes anymore. Could try a Matco rep?

Reactions: 209SamoanWarrior
1 - 20 of 21 Posts