RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Warrior, blue with flames.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to update my pc3 usb firmware tonight.. had it all connected and reading pc3.... went to do firmware and lost the 9v battery power mid way through. Now pc3 won't even turn on with fresh 9v AND bike will not start either........
Someone tell me I didn't labotomize my pc3...

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,482 Posts
99% it's dead. Common trouble back in the old days. The best way to do that is direct connection to a laptop that is plugged in. But candidly, even then there are many things that can go wrong and the hardware is aged on top of everything else.

My question is: does your pc3 have a crimp connection on the TPS wire (between the jugs)? If yes, that crimp needs to be very gently pried-open it took me seems like half hour. Don't break or damage the TPS wire. Gently clean any corrosion then heal the insulation.

Or if it has a Perfect Install connection at the Warrior's ECU Connector, figure the best disconnect method and heal that. Both need to be done with care in order to head-off future repair needs.

Don't sweat any of this, the firmware update back then was known to be risky. The crimp was common and the Perfect Install was a great solution to performance issues in the early years before the all-plugs PCiii-USB Version2 came out. There's helpful information in the Documentation Forum's fuel managers section. You can look at Perfect Install instructions and use it to back-out of it if exists. Same for early crimp connections (Google how to gently open crimp connectors and find the one that looks like what you have).

IMO the only viable air:fuel managers today are the newest PC-V models, and of course the newest CVT models of the Cobra PowrPro autotuner. Don't waste time or money with prior versions of any of these fuel managers. Life is too short!

Does your bike already have Ivan's?

[deleted chrome covers question my bad]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99% it's dead. Common trouble back in the old days. The best way to do that is direct connection to a laptop that is plugged in. But candidly, even then there are many things that can go wrong and the hardware is aged on top of everything else.

My question is: does your pc3 have a crimp connection on the TPS wire (between the jugs)? If yes, that crimp needs to be very gently pried-open it took me seems like half hour. Don't break or damage the TPS wire. Gently clean any corrosion then heal the insulation.

Or if it has a Perfect Install connection at the Warrior's ECU Connector, figure the best disconnect method and heal that. Both need to be done with care in order to head-off future repair needs.

Don't sweat any of this, the firmware update back then was known to be risky. The crimp was common and the Perfect Install was a great solution to performance issues in the early years before the all-plugs PCiii-USB Version2 came out. There's helpful information in the Documentation Forum's fuel managers section. You can look at Perfect Install instructions and use it to back-out of it if exists. Same for early crimp connections (Google how to gently open crimp connectors and find the one that looks like what you have).

IMO the only viable air:fuel managers today are the newest PC-V models, and of course the newest CVT models of the Cobra PowrPro autotuner. Don't waste time or money with prior versions of any of these fuel managers. Life is too short!

Does your bike already have Ivan's?

May I ask exactly what chrome covers are giving you grief? Is one of them the cool right-side active-butterfly intake? Have you inspected the vacuum hose associated with that bad boy? It's possible to go to a screw-clamp or better yet a basic wire clamp you can squeeze with your fingers.
Arizona it is a PC3 USB model there are no Chrome covers that I am having issues with the bike just won't start. I will call Dynojet today and see what they say I did a lot of digging last night kind of went down the rabbit hole with it found out that it can be saved I need to buy a park called pcprog to re flash myself, or send the unit back to Dynojet for a reflash and if it is in fact an older model they will usually upgrade it to the newer model that has the TPS direct plug-in my question is will I be okay to ride if I just remove it and run on the stock e c u

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay update just got off the phone with Dynojet the unit is indeed dead there is a part number h d r e v that could possibly bring it back by forcing a flash to it at sixty bucks they no longer do the rebuild process they only accept them for trade in as a loyalty toward a new Power Commander 5 which they will sell to me for $250 with a tune already loaded now the debate starts on what I should do

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much on Ebay right now. Maybe on the Facebook page.
I think anything right now will be in the 250 to 300 range.
Hefty, that's what Dynojet is offering to sell it to me for ...$250.. free shipping for a new complete kit.
Wonder if I told them about being a member here if there would be another "discount" to help out. They list the PC5 on thier website for $479...so basically they are giving almost a 50% discount for turning in a dead PC3.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will be removing pc3 tonight... my concern is if I will be dangerously too lean with the mods I have.. samson shorties, big air, a.i.s delete.
Anyone have a similar combo with no tune? Suppose I will just ride it and pull plugs and see what they say... can I just pull one or do I need both?

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,960 Posts
Will be removing pc3 tonight... my concern is if I will be dangerously too lean with the mods I have.. samson shorties, big air, a.i.s delete.
Anyone have a similar combo with no tune? Suppose I will just ride it and pull plugs and see what they say... can I just pull one or do I need both?
Can you just park your bike until the new tuner comes in? I'd do that if at all possible vs risking damage. Too lean and you'll melt parts...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you just park your bike until the new tuner comes in? I'd do that if at all possible vs risking damage. Too lean and you'll melt parts...
I would, but don't know if/when I can swing the $250 for the new one.... lots going on at home at the moment.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,960 Posts
I would, but don't know if/when I can swing the $250 for the new one.... lots going on at home at the moment.
That's tricky.... been there... might just have to park it, though... sucks missing out on good rides and such, but better than ruining your bike.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,482 Posts
Its true that with the PC-V you'll get an approximate map pre-loaded. Sometimes it's close enough. Most of the time the map needs dialing-in, and for most folks that means a couple hundred for a dynotune, plus the set-up and preparation of the bike as a whole to prepare the bike for the dynotune.

There is a help file in Documentation forum titled something like preparing your Warrior for dynotune. That will guide you through creating a list for your exact bike's conditions. If the baseline is incorrect then the dynotune is less effective. It's good to verify baseline first. Make any corrections. Then install the new fuel manager, then dynotune right away.

The following are just examples, I'm not aware of the history and conditions of your bike.

Folks will be able to identify if possibly their Warrior ECU has been bumped. Checking for intake leaks. Checking TPS wire for a crimp connector. Clean air filters. You know the drill. Lots of things. It's a lot easier than it sounds because the help file guides and reminds. Use the service manual having both supplements in conjunction with the Documentation forum info. Make your list, read-up on each, check it off your list.

Along the way, some folks stumble-across other things needing made right that they would have missed. When the bike is right, the fuel manager mapping is simple so one dynotune most often does it. Or, if you go to the CVT then with good baseline it'll work correctly out of the box. No tuning or re-tuning costs ever.

This is my way of suggesting it's better to slow down and discover the big picture, then move ahead.

Do you have access to any other transportation?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Update. Removed PC3... was plug and play, no tps crimp. Plugged all the wiring back to stock and bike fired fine. Phew.. no other damage than PC. Contacted Dynojet today and asked about expedited shipping, they will expedite, for a fee. Standard ground free. did get them to let me purchase new PC5 with tracking number confirmation that my old one on the way ( they usually wait til it arrives before releasing new one) so that will shave a few days off. Started bike again today and let run for a minute to see what exhaust did... still smelled raw fuel in exhaust.. tempting but I didn't go for a ride. New unit should be here early next week fingers crossed.

Now... about that auto tune.... anyone got an idea how to pitch ANOTHER $400 to 1stwfe??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok... update time. Pc5 arrived yesterday and I put in last night. All I can say is the worst part is the wiring to the coils for the timing portion.. if you have not relocated coils yet, this is your excuse!! Also, in left side coil pay close attention to wiring colors.. there are 2 wires on the coil, one black w/red trace the other is black w/orange trace. The red and orange look very similar in the little bit of space you have to work with and if you hook up re ersed, the coil does not work (ask why I know...) but other than that everything is plug and play easy peasy. Will bring laptop home tonight, verify map settings and then ride tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts