RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever ran across a situation where the rear turn signals quit working? Well, Mine quit and i don't want to ride bike in case it is an electrical issue that could lead to something worse.

I checked the connections, even put new connectors on and i got nothing. I put a meter on them and it would get to 6 volts (Flashes too quickly to get full 12v I think)
My front signals and all other lights work correctly. I don't see where the rears have their own fuse/ circuit. What could be the issue? I don't want to take to dealer if I don't have to and the weather is perfect today! I guess I will have to drive the other toy around...

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
Since you don't have a gallery page, may I ask if you have done any mods to the any of the lights including the signals? Also, on exactly what wire (color and location) diid you meter 6 volts and under what conditions? Do you have an integrated rear tail light or do you have stand-alone (like stock) rear signals? Are they LED or stock incandescent bulbs?

cltgt said:
Has anyone ever ran across a situation where the rear turn signals quit working? Well, Mine quit and i don't want to ride bike in case it is an electrical issue that could lead to something worse. I checked the connections, even put new connectors on and i got nothing. I put a meter on them and it would get to 6 volts (Flashes too quickly to get full 12v I think) My front signals and all other lights work correctly. I don't see where the rears have their own fuse/ circuit. What could be the issue? I don't want to take to dealer if I don't have to and the weather is perfect today! I guess I will have to drive the other toy around...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to figure out how to do a gallery. I bought the bike already modded and i don't know what rear bracket is on there. I will take pictures. I checked voltage at the bullet connectors on grenn and brown wires. They are not stock signals. I'll try to post photos when i get home. Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Read the post i entered today - I installed a brand new Clear View integrated rear light. The left side tail / brake lights don't work. Unfortunately with this brand of light, the lens cover is is molded to the light housing. I'm not sure if it's possible to seperate the two and do any more in depth troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Grab the service manual and identify all wires, to see if all
connections are proper. Don't forget to check how all connections are
made (soldered, with a coat of dielectric grease and tube shrink-wrapped is the proper way). While there, put on that old tee and turn on your camera... get under the bike and show us how your wire job is done.

Personally, I would take the fender out completly and work with it flipped on a comfortable position... it takes only 5 minutes.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
I'm not in a spot I can get to my bike or manual. Are your signals mounted on the sides of the rear fender where the stock one's mount? Or are your signals builtinside the brake light? Either way, if the rear signals are LED then it might help to know that some LED assemblies convert to 6v,there's some 'ink' in older posts on this forum try a search for '6v' or 6- volts' and see where it takes you.

From another post it looks like green is indeed rear right and brown is rear left. See if this helps you verify wires: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/12388.aspx(shows a stock set-up). For the stock set-up you should get 12v readingfrom each of the signal wires, and from the power wire for the tail light and the brake light.

·
Administrator
5,905 Posts
Just grabbing at straws here,but could it possibly be a ground problem since you have some voltage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not using integrated tail light/ turn signals. It's the stock tail light and some small incandesent turn signals.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to replace the connectors for the ground and turn signals and see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
cltgt said:
I'm going to replace the connectors for the ground and turn signals and see if it helps.
+1 ...
... Quality of Workmanship

They look to be very poor buttconnections for the turn signals as well as the license plate LED wiring if i'm not mistaken!

Here's a simplifiedTS circuit. You might want to just remove the 2-lights and check if they work off your car battery or connect to the Blue running light wire for testing on the bike.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
After you solve, as you re-make electrical connections use solder. Also dab a little bulb-grease (from auto parts store) on each plug-connector before connecting. That Florida humidity does damage. IMO pop for some better bulbs in those aftermarket signals, and put some bulb grease in the sockets too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the joy of buying used.. I love the bike and this is the only time consuming issue I have had. I have no idea what type of license plate bracket that is, but the plastic retainer that holds the light into place had be get cut to **** to fit. I want to get rid of those little turn signals anyway as people say they are not that easy to see in the Florida Sun...

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I had the same mess under the fender, I purchased my bike used also.

Look what I have to deal with now, under the seat (click on the picture to expand):

It looks like a rollacoaster in there, hehe. I already removed all wiring of my bike, all that is left are the metal parts.
The wires are pretty damaged, I need to order the full harness... It costs "only" $400.00.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced the ground and now I have turn signals... On to the next problem. Leaking fuel quick connect...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts