RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - yes i checked the forums pretty extensively for a solution, I had a feeling some people were thinking that.

Second - i have tried a few things and i'm leaning towards an interlock or something causing an issue.

So she will not start, just got her yesterday and she started but just slowly.

Symptoms
turn the ignition on - lights come on - speedo selfchecks (swings) - neutral light comes on and fuel pump primes.

Press the start button and the relay clicks/check engine light comes on but the starter doesn't turn/enage

Troubleshooting
1. Checked the battery - o'riely's checked it out 12V 100% charged 160CCA.

2. Shorted battery to starter and she turn's over like a hawse.
engine doesn't start
3. Shorted starter relay and it turns over.
engine doesn't start

i'm leaning to a interlock that stops the ecu from sending spark? hmmm idk any ideas?

actually if you could give me a call that would be awesome 757 513 5385

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
OK, I know you know this -but your symptoms are classic weak battery symptoms. So, couple of questions:

1) Just to confirm -you know that the decompression solenoid kicks in after 3-5 revolutions. Sometimes new members don't realize this, and think there is something wrong with the bike -because every other bike we've all had starts right up. This one is different.

2) When you had the battery checked, and it read 12 volts, was that directly after a charge, or you had let it sit overnight or what? Immediately after a charge, it should be about 13.2ish volts. After sitting awhile, it will drop to about 12.6 volts. So when you say it's at 12 volts, that could be a little low (if we were expecting 12.6 volts) or a lot low (if we were expecting more than 13 volts). Here's a thread on this: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/177866-battery-question.html

3) Have you tried to charge the battery?

4) Have you double checked that the battery cables are tight? If a battery is good, you can still get a weak connection and thus have starting issues. The cables on this bike are notorious for vibrating loose and causing all sorts of problems. I have had my ground cable actually come loose while I was riding. Not a good experience.

I'm sure you've probably thought of all of this, but wanted to cover the basics before we get to the harder stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
A couple of places to look at

Take a look at you Diagnostic check and see if you have any codes. Instructions start on line 5
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/12-general-discussion/148556-has-anyone-used-diagnostic-mode-actually-solve-problem.html

Front horn disconnected?
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/172951-horn-wires-can-keep-warrior-starting.html

Maybe the wires under the relay have worn thru?
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/151824-faulty-starter-relay-symptoms-fix-w-part-no.html

I'm sure smarter people will chim in soon.

Sounds like a week battery to me too.

G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Covering basics is good. Now i'm second guessing my thoughts. Yes is did read 12.0 volts exactly after an all night trickle charge. Didn't think about that since i saw 160cca right after that. it's a gel cell so i assumed that it's probably good but i don't know how old it is. Hmmm so since i short the battery straight to the starter and it will turn over doesn't mean it has enough power once you add the ECU/lights?

A gentleman called me with a CA number and helped me get to the diag - THANK YOU VERY MUCH BTW - I didn't catch the name because of the cell phone breaking up but thanks again!

Anyways diag codes were all within ranges with the exception of the decompression solenoid. It flashed the check engine light 5 times but i didn't hear clicking only the fuel pump running.

I was starting to panic since i just got it yesterday and was thinking a got a lemon but with the support here i feel like i can fix anything haha!

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
OK, -that was probably 1256day calling :)

Try this -jump your bike off your car, but make sure the car is NOT running (it will possibly blow your electronics). If the bike starts right up, then you've got an issue with the battery. If not, then we start down the list.

The horn one mentioned by 1256Day is also a good one to check.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
M

If you can pull the left plug out of both cylinders, you can then check and see if both are firing and if the bike is turning over freely, by passing the need of the decompresion selinoid.

Now this leads to another issue. If your bike has LED signals or a LED Lic. plate light, or if you have a Custom Dynamics Intergrated tail light You always should put the bike in nuetral and turn the bike off with the key.

Its called the "Click of Death" "COD". To avoid this, some members have put in a relay or a little light in the system.

take a look at this thread.
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/110752-clicking-sound.html

G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thanks for the responses.

I tried to start it using the truck and when I connect the cables to the bike battery and I try to start it I run into the same issue (doesn't turn over only a clicking noise from the solenoid)

But when I connect the jumpers to the neg of the battery and positive to the starter itself the bike turns over and starts like a charm.

Rides fine till i stop and turn the bike off. Then it won't start again.

I currently have no turn signals and just the stock brake light, lol funny real safe I know I just got it. I also just ordered a integrated tail light from custom dynamics so I will have to take care of the COD.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah shoot I didnt pull the plugs and the wife is tired of me playing with the toy all day. I'll pull them tomorrow. I think I'll just replace the starter solenoid too since its cheap and at the same time I'll have the battery looked over at the yammi dealership. Let me know if you guys think of anything different from what I said in the last post. I have a feeling the starter solenoid terminals inside are dirty.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That was my thought in reading all of this. Sounds like the solenoid is bad to me. If you jump it, you are bypassing the solenoid and if it's turning over, I'd THINK that the battery is good as that's not a 125cc engine it's cranking there. :)

Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Check the starter relay. Try bridging it with a screw driver and if the bike fires than that is your problem.