RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I amtrying to decide betweena 2003 Honda 919 (700 miles, 2 owners) and a 2006 FZ-1 (9500 miles, 1 owner) for a second bike. I plan on using it to commute/drive around town and the occasional highway ride of 400 miles or so. (For now, I am not thinking about buying luggage for it; for the trips I plan on simply strapping a bag to the tail.) I am no thrill seeker and will keep both wheels on the road and rarely drive no faster than highway speeds. Well. . .most of the time I hope
I have seen the 919 personally, it runs (after about five start attempts), and has minor damage from falling over when the previous owner forgot about the kickstand
. I have not seen the FZ-1 yet (I plan to), but have been assured that it is in excellent shape. Mymajor concernis this-- do you think it's fishy that the 919 only has 700 miles on it from 2 owners? Is there anything I can look for on the bike that would be a red light in this regard? And secondly, for those of you with experience with these bikes-- which, if any, would be easier to maintain?

Thank you very much-- I look forward to your responses,

Rodney

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I would say that the 919 sounds fishy. Kind of like th 2 owners beat it and then dumped it to the next person. And especially with the damage you describe. And that it takes 5 tries to start!

Even though the FZ-1 has more miles, 9500 miles isn't really that many miles!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I gotta tell ya, I happen to love both of those bikes but... The FZ sounds like the real deal.... I have a lot of questions about a bike with a few years aboard that just doesn't reflect the milage..... The wind screen on the FZ is a plus as well. The FZ-1 will feel a little soft at low revs. but let the rpm swing into where it's comfortable (7k -10k) and it will accelerate just fine :)

The Honda has better grunt and go and is a little more willing to float the front wheel but is a little dated techwise... imho the FZ-1 is a little more complete package. but I would not turn down either!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I can vouch for the FJR it si a great bike. I have never ridden an fZ but I love the look and have come close to buying one a couple of times this year. I would think for long trips the FZ is bes hands down. Like some of the others have stated a two owner bike with 700 miles that has trouble starting is suspect. My dad told me a long time ago if it is too good to be true it is too good to be true.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would go with the FZ.. The honda sounds fishy. I have a 02 ZR-7 that I bought last year for a second bike.Had 9,000 miles on it when I bought it.If the Honda had 7,000 miles I would beleive it,not 700 miles.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I can vouch for the fizzy. I put 5000 miles on my 07 this season. I'd post a pic, but I don't remember how. Doesn't seem obvious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Asking $4800 for the Honda 919, Dealership asking $5000 for the FZ-1.

Thanks for all the input-- seems clear I should try to get the FZ-1. . .

--Rodney

1 - 15 of 15 Posts