RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I scored a Tach Cowl for cheap. Was the wrong color (Someone had tried to paint it before and royally screwed it up),had some deep scratches and, didnt come with any hardware. I spent the last 3 days after work sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, and painting and when it finally looked decent I put it aside only to knock something off the shelf above it and ruinpaint job. So I had to do the whole process over again this time more impatiently and not "as" nice as the first time but still decent.Anyway, the point is, I spent alot of time and effort on this.

So tonight I'm anxious to get it installed, I take the screws out on either side of the tach,I get everything lined up and put the screw in on one side. I go to do the other and it seems like the bolt is too short. Well in my anxiousness I figure I'll just kinda squeeze the plastic cover a bit and make it fit. Bullin the china shop method. I get it started, turn the screw one complete turn and it pops out pulling thethreads out of the housing.WTF!!!! So I take everything off, check with a flashlight to make sure there are still some threads left and Im good except the first maybe 1/8th inch is smooth. I put the stock bolt back in without the cowl for nowand everything went back in fine.

Finally to the question.... After some research,it appears when you buy the tach cowl brand new from Yammi they send longer bolts. Being that I got mine second hand I dont have the longer bolts. Anyone know either where I can get the longer Yammi bolts or what size the screw is so I can try to find one at HomeDepot or Lowes or something?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just take out one of the existing bolts and bring it will you to a decent hardware store, find a nut that fit and viola, it's sized. Then find a longer bolt with the same or similar head size that's the right length and buy two so each side matches and you should be good to go, prolly won't run you more than a buck

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
You can try all the Lowe's and Home Depot's you want but the only place I've ever been able to find virtually every screw to fit my bike is Ace Hardware.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Pep said:
You can try all the Lowe's and Home Depot's you want but the only place I've ever been able to find virtually every screw to fit my bike is Ace Hardware.

Not trying to boost sales for any one particular HW Chain, but in my areaI have had the best luck with Lowes.I can find screws withthreads that match but the heads are different.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I went through this with another member in the last few months(July, I think). There are longer factory style bolts available that are used on the 04-06 R1 that will work for this application. I'll see if I can find the topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts