RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Yamaha Roadliner S Midnight
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well boys and girls it's 4:18pm the day before I go on my 1800ks ride to Victoria to see my Granddaughter. Am I apprehensive, no. Am I a tad scared, yes. This is only because I haven't done anything like this on a bike for 40 years. So I stiffened up the rear shock on the Roadie and have as much extra weight that would feel like having a chick on the back ( I wish lol ).
I'm going to try and do videos on my camera so I can do a can show you guys
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

the trip along with some photos.
Wish me luck.
1st update of Trip to Victoria. First off there will be no video of the drip down to Victoria as my camera didn't want to play the game. I left Gympie at 5am on the 26th January. I rode for 700ks the first day where I encountered rain rain and a tad more rain. I stayed overnight at a town called Narrabri. $100 for a motel room and $31 for a crummy pizza. The next morning I woke up feeling like death warmed up lol. I did another 700ks and stayed at Narrandera, $100 for a motel room and $50 for a chicken chips and salad. Friday 29th Jan I knew I had a 600k ride it was 95 degrees, but I knew there was going to be a real bad storm which was going to hit Melbourne that afternoon. My timing was impeccable because I'm an hour from my destination when the storm hit. There was 60kph wind ( great fun when you have a large screen ). So traffic was crawling because visibility was poor. I was on a section of road that was been worked on so there was only one lane either way. I was keeping my distance from the car infrastructure, mainly because he had weak tail lights. Then out of the blue I red car travelling in the opposite direction decided to do an overtaking manoeuvre which wasn't there so he was heading straight for me. I had no option but to get off the road which meant I hit the grass and mud on the left side of the road. Because I gunned the bike to get out the way of the far King idiot, I couldn't use brakes of engine break. So I closed the throttle and just let the mud and grass take me on an adventure ride ( like riding on ice ). Just when I thought I was going to escape the front wheel hit something and before I knew it I was sliding on the right side of the bike. Just to add a bit of interest whatever the front wheel hit the bike and I started spinning. Now I'm still on my seat hanging on to the handle bars. When the spinning stopped I ripped off my helmet and noticed that my right leg was caught under the bike. Luckily 2 guys pulled up to get the bike off of me. They both saw what happened and one of the guys said he got the far King idiots licence number. They then stopped the traffic so I could get back on the road. I noticed later at the motel that the new bars took the brunt of the slide which protected the tank and side cover. Oops I digressed I didn't injure my leg that was trapped under the bike because it was pushed into the mud. The body wasn't impressed in the way it was treated and let me know in on uncertain terms.
So on Saturday the 30th Jan I got to meet my Granddaughter. I won't go into depth so I'll let the picture tell the story suffice to say it was amazing on so many levels. Tomorrow the 1st Feb I'll be heading home. Update number two, well I have been at my mates place for a week now mowing lawns. He has been away for 5 weeks and his lawn was up to my waist. He has a ride on mower, but it decided to die lol. So I have been pushing a hand mower around 4 acres of grass. My mate has emphysema and he can't push a mower anywhere. I looked at it this way, I only have a stuffed back. It can't get any better or worse, so I mapped out a plan on how I was going to do it. The weather has been stinking hot which hasn't helped. My mate owns a 2008 1200 Special Edition HD. We had to ride to Albury to get some parts for the ride on. The bike is filthy because of dirt roads, but she will have to wait until I get home to clean her. So far I've done 2,500 ks on this trip with about 1,000 to go to get home. I finished the mowing this morning so tomorrow Wednesday I'm going to rest, then I'll hit the road to go home on Thursday. All being well I should be home on Saturday. I'm not going to comment on how the bike is going because I don't want to jinx it lol.
Water Sky Tree Road surface Asphalt

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Sky Fuel tank Plant Tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Tree

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Ecoregion

Plant Tree Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface
Land vehicle Wheel Jeans Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
40 years in the making, you're gonna have tons of fun on that two wheeler couch and you'll love every moment. Screw sore butt syndrome. Go ride that thing. I can't wait for those films!
Thanks Bud. Bumblebee is still in a showroom in Brisbane and she's been there for 6 months. I decided to ride to that dealer to have a look. They have $11,500 plus on roads and gov charges. I nearly cried ( I'm serious ) she looked dirty and there was surface rust. I thought to myself farkman if only you had 12G's. I don't regret getting the Roadie as I believe I couldn't do it on BB. It's just so far King sad.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,960 Posts
Thanks Bud. Bumblebee is still in a showroom in Brisbane and she's been there for 6 months. I decided to ride to that dealer to have a look. They have $11,500 plus on roads and gov charges. I nearly cried ( I'm serious ) she looked dirty and there was surface rust. I thought to myself farkman if only you had 12G's. I don't regret getting the Roadie as I believe I couldn't do it on BB. It's just so far King sad.
Yeah. I’ve learned a couple things from heartbreak.

1. Never sell a vehicle to a friend. They might treat it really well but they might not and seeing it in worse shape than you’d ever allow can be friendship ending.

2. Never seek out anything you let go of that you had a serious connection with. It’ll just break your heart, regardless if it’s in better or worse condition.

Enjoy your Roadie and remember why you had to make that choice. I recall your tales of back numbing pain and such, even on shorter rides. You’ve made the right choice, but just remember BB in pictures and your heart. Those memories will only grow stronger and be more positive as time goes on. Don’t let seeing it tarnish those memories.

Looking forward to seeing your adventure, brother! Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Bro you look more than ready in that photo. Very well rested and that sneaky smirk of a smile,
Get the tunes ready, take fluids, proper clothing (not sure how hot or cold it will get) and of course the right tunes LOL. I am sure that bad boy at a steady cruise will get you at least 240 before having to fill up.
I am super jealous and we will be with you in spirit every km of the way. Plenty of pics and videos please to make the working stiff here wish we were on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well boys and girls it's 4:18pm the day before I go on my 1800ks ride to Victoria to see my Granddaughter. Am I apprehensive, no. Am I a tad scared, yes. This is only because I haven't done anything like this on a bike for 40 years. So I stiffened up the rear shock on the Roadie and have as much extra weight that would feel like having a chick on the back ( I wish lol ).
I'm going to try and do videos on my camera so I can do a can show you guys View attachment 255397
the trip along with some photos.
Wish me luck.
Safe travels and best of luck brother 🙏 you got this! Have fun and enjoy the ride 😉

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Enjoy every moment of it, maybe bring a little extra warm clothes! I just got back from a little (250 mile) ride to our local mountains. and froze my a$$ off! Way underdressed..take it all in and have a great time!

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Not sure how but I didn't see the update to this thread.
So the ride was interesting to say the least.
How you feeling these days?
How did the bike fare after the little roadside slide?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Not sure how but I didn't see the update to this thread.
So the ride was interesting to say the least.
How you feeling these days?
How did the bike fare after the little roadside slide?
Mate as far as the slide goes, the new handlebars took the brunt of it so no marks on anything except for a wear mark on the right bag. The mark is so tiny you couldn't even notice it with it being pointed out. Now jump ahead to April, I took another trip to my mates place ( 1566 k's ). On the way down I was zooming along at about 70 mph when something black caught my right eye. I heard a sound and thought wtf was that. I pulled up and noticed my right saddle bag wasn't where it was supposed to be. So I turned around and rode back and there it was in the middle of the road. After nearly 900 k's all 3 clasps decided to give way. My heart sank to my knees when I surveyed the damage. I put the bag back one and hooked it back up. I got all the way to my mates place when it went walkabout again, but I was only doing about 5kph when that happened. Now the chance of me being able to afford another bag or set of bags is impossible so I now have to think of some replacement for them.
I should step back a bit to the morning of the bag slide. I ended up spending the night in Coonabarabran as I was freezing on the bike. The only accommodation was at a Hotel (pub). I didn't park the bike at the rear because there was no security lighting. I decided to leave the bike parked out the front as there was all night lighting. I get up the next morning to find that my left rear blinker cover had been broken off and stomped on. The rear right blinker cover was also broken off and I found it under the bike, but not stomped on. I was able with the use of tape stick the right cover on. I ended up calling the police at the insistence of the hotel manager. The police arrived and basically didn't give a ****. So I leave Coonabarabran heading to Dubbo when the bag parted company. Now as bad things always come in threes we jump ahead to ANZAC Day a week later. I take my niece into town for the ANZAC Day service and march. We ride in and get a good park in the main street. So the whole thing took two hours. So after the march we headed back to the bike and Jenni said " uncle Rob, someone has taken the passenger footpeg". I looked and again it was a WTF moment. So I had to arrange for someone to take my niece home. So once again I called the local cops. They were unhelpful as it was a mystery as to where the peg and bracket were. One of the cops said it MST have vibrated off lol. I said I find that hard to believe as it would have to vibrate off whilst parked. So I found a bolt with the right thread so I could secure the saddlebag frame on that side of the bike. Despite all that crap the bike didn't miss a beat.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Hood

Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Jeans Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Trunk

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I have read on their forum that some guys peel that leather off and paint the bags. You might look into that option. And super glad the bars saved the more important stuff like the tank.
Might be time to look into a set of crashbars or highway bars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts