RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles should a RSW motor last before major work would be needed[?] A stock motor with no internal mods. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] I am considering buying a used bike and have found a few with different miles on them. I'm sure that it depends on the maintenance, but for this discussion lets say that we expect the maintenance to be good.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
16,000 and you have to get in there for some matenance. I bet you can get 50,000 out of one of these with no problems as long as you keep it up right.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I am not sure man, I mean if you look these warriors are fairly new. Ummm.... You could possibly look at how yamaha has produced their engines for the past few years and make an assumption there. My friend who produced the beast Grimestone.http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=2 He told me that Yamaha warranties their engines by themselves for 100,000 miles. If you are seriously interested in purchasing one... ask to have it inspected before you purchase it. people do it everyday when purchasing buildings. If something is found to be deemed a "problem" or "in need of repair" bring the estimate back to the seller.... if they would like to reduce the price for the price it would cost to fix. You may have found yourself a deal!

[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][8D][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
364 Posts
A yamaha trained tech.told me that the rings aren't fully seated until 20,000 miles.The expert at Daytona 2002 told me they ran a warrior motor 8hrs. straight without an oil pump and all it did was warp the valves.I don't know how many miles but I feel like this motor of mine will go 100,000 without any major work.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked at some bikes with about 2k miles with very few mods, then the other day Dunkherron said he would take $9000 for his bike with 21,000 miles. He has a great looking bike and doesn't live to far from me. I may have to go take a look at it.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
You guys are running up some serious milage. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] I only got into the 8 thousands but the bike feels better with every mile. I am actually thinking of buying a bunch of oil test kits and starting to put more miles on it between oil changes.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Oliver,
Yup! Us Northern Folks Ride Hard during our limited riding season, but...brother for a Californian with only 8K on your Warrior you are spending way more time looking at that Warrior then riding it. Ha! LoL!

Ed

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been great to have a sight like this while doing research on buying a new bike. I have learned so many thing about mods and just general stuff. Looks like 21,000 miles on a well maintained bike should not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Frankenstein

You guys are running up some serious milage. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] I only got into the 8 thousands but the bike feels better with every mile. I am actually thinking of buying a bunch of oil test kits and starting to put more miles on it between oil changes.
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. My commute to work is 100 miles round trip, so it doesn't take long to hit 3000. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've gotten on the bike without putting 50 miles on it before I pull back into the garage. With all the highway miles I do, I bet I could safely go 6000 between changes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Im closing in on 24,000 miles on my 02 and it runs just as strong and doesent use any oil between oil changes,you cant say that about some other v-twinn air cooled bikes out there that cost WAAAAYYYY more!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts