RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
it is totally true. dealers are removing parts from the store.... and is a mess, because some parts are interchangable with bigger bikes... and because it fits in a children bike, has to be removed from the store...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Aarrgh......"I'm as mad as **** and I'm not going to take it anymore" aptly describes how I am feeling at this moment.

Now the government is deciding what is safe for us to buy for our kids, and bungling the who f-ing thing up. Sure you buy your kid a GI Joe from China and your glad that the goverment has this regulation in place so they don't slather the thing with lead based paint and junior sucks down the M16 gun he put in his mouth and gets lead poisoning. Yeah OK great, but how many kids are out gnoshing on their motorbikes? Totally f-ing rediculous. I like America but the same freedom that we all praise is seriously starting to be infringed upon if this is actually true

·
Registered
263 Posts
just try and get a throttle sleeve for a klx650(?think this is the model i heard about) it is shared with the kx65 and can no longer be sold!

all the big boy accys for the 50's are pulled as well. eg shocks for someone 200 lbs., tall bars, big bore kits. if you can find used then ok, but not new and not at a dealership.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i am doing more research on this and have found some quick details.

only parts that contain lead are being suspended from honda. evidently lead is used in the production of cases, wheels and other alloys.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Don't fret people you can still order them from other countries. The USA just doesn't want anything to be made, sold or profited fromhere because it could hurt someones feelings.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm sure the MC manufacturer's lobbyists will get this fixed. One more thing for our elected officials to get there palms greasedfor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The first of many revisions...
[url]http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr09/electronicinterim.pdf[/url]PART 1500—HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES AND ARTICLES: ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT REGULATIONS ¦ 1 .
The authority citation for part 1500 is revised to read as follows: Authority: 15 U.S.C .1261–1278, 122 Stat .3016 .¦ 2 .
Add a new § 1500.88 to read as follows:
§ 1500.88 Exemptions from lead limits under section 101 of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act for Certain Electronic Devices .
(a) The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) provides for specific lead limits in children’s products .
Section 101(a) of the CPSIA provides that by February 10, 2009, products designed or intended primarily for children 12 and younger may not contain more than 600 ppm of lead .
After August 14, 2009, products designed or intended primarily for children 12 and younger cannot contain more than 300 ppm of lead .
On August 14, 2011, the limit may be further reduced to 100 ppm, unless the Commission determines that it is not technologically feasible to have this lower limit .
Paint, coatings or electroplating may not be considered a barrier that would make the lead content of a product inaccessible to a child .
(b) Section 101(b)(4) of the CPSIA provides that if the Commission determines that it is not technologically feasible for certain electronic devices to comply with the lead limits, the Commission must issue requirements by regulation to eliminate or minimize the potential for exposure to and accessibility of lead in such electronic devices and establish a compliance schedule unless the Commission determines that full compliance is not technologically feasible .
(c) Certain lead-containing component parts in children’s electronic devices unable to meet the lead limits set forth in paragraph (a) of this section due to technological infeasibility are granted the exemptions that follow in paragraph (d) of this section, provided that use of lead is necessary for the proper functioning of the component part and it is not technologically feasible for the component part to meet the lead content limits set forth in paragraph (a) of this section .
(d) Exemptions for lead as used in certain component parts in children’s electronic devices include: (1) Lead blended into the glass of cathode ray tubes, electronic components and fluorescent tubes .
(2) Lead used as an alloying element in steel .
The maximum amount of lead shall be less than 0.35% by weight (3500 ppm) .
(3) Lead used in the manufacture of aluminum .
The maximum amount of lead shall be less than 0.4% by weight (4,000 ppm) .
(4) Lead used in copper-based alloys .
The maximum amount of lead shall be less than 4% by weight (40,000 ppm) .
(5) Lead used in lead-bronze bearing shells and bushings .
(6) Lead used in compliant pin connector systems .
(7) Lead used in optical and filter glass .
(8) Lead oxide in plasma display panels (PDP) and surface conduction electron emitter displays (SED) used in structural elements; notably in the front and rear glass dielectric layer, the bus electrode, the black stripe, the address electrode, the barrier ribs, the seal frit and frit ring as well as in print pastes .
(9) Lead oxide in the glass envelope of Black Light Blue (BLB) lamps .
(e) Components of electronic devices that are removable or replaceable such as battery packs and light bulbs that are inaccessible when the product is assembled in functional form or are otherwise granted an exemption are not subject to the lead limits in paragraph (a) of this section .
(f) Commission staff is directed to reevaluate and report to the Commission on the technological feasibility of compliance with the lead limits in paragraph (a) of this section for children’s electronic devices, including the technological feasibility of making accessible component parts inaccessible, and the status of the exemptions, no less than every five years after publication of a final rule in the Federal Register on children’s electronic devices .
Dated: February 9, 2009 .
Todd A .
Stevenson,
Secretary, Consumer Product Safety Commission .
[FR Doc .
E9–3025 Filed 2–11–09; 8:45 am]

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Well this answers my question WTF total b.s

A piece of a article fron dirtrider.com

Effective today, February 10, 2009, all youth ATV and motorcycles are banned from dealer floors, service shops and made illegal to sell by anyone in the United States.

This is actually happening. It’s not made up or exaggerated. You cannot buy a youth (defined as being intended for children 12-years old and younger) motorcycle or ATV.

You can’t even buy one from a private party or your own parents.
This is one of the dumbest fucking things I have ever heard . Sounds like I have a 1200.00 dollar paper weight in my garage

·
Registered
326 Posts
The exemptions seem to cover bikes. If the bike is assembled in functional form, then the kids can't access the battery, right? I'm having a hard time understanding how this act bans the sale of dirtbikes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I understand it's the alloys that are exposed have some sort of lead content. Hold on boys, soon you won't be able to take your kids fishing either, sinkers?

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Ban on selling motorcycles intended for kids? That's easy to get around. How about those tiny pocket bike things? They're um... "for novelty use by adults." Dealers just have to start saying the small bikes are novelty bikes for adults. Problem solved, glad I could help.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If everybody doesn't collectively start looking seriously at rules
that limit the freedoms of others that may not affect "you", this kind
of thing is NEVER going to stop until we are imprisoned and personal
safety will be the bars on the cell. It started with seat belts, then
helmets, then second hand smoke, then lead. Next, fast food, beef,
pork, candy, all motor sports or motors in general. They are coming to
get YOU tomorrow, and you are helping them come get YOU tomorrow if you
LET them legislate the behaviors of others today that don't affect you
today!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gives me yet another reason to dislike Democraps!

I did the email thing to send emails to both my Senators and Congressman. I don't off-road, but I feel for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Cycle World International Motorcycle show just stopped in Mpls, MN and there was not a single kids bike there. No PWs - No small TT-Rs - None from any manufacture. I put a post about this a while ago and got nothing. Glad to see a couple people are realizing their freedoms are being taken away by the phucs in Washington!

You can take action by visting the link to the American Motorcyclist Association'ssite http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

·
Registered
361 Posts
SWODude said:
Gives me yet another reason to dislike Democraps!

I did the email thing to send emails to both my Senators and Congressman. I don't off-road, but I feel for you. Good luck.

It would seem that Dems and Republicans are equally culpable for this one...

House: 407 Ayes, 0 Nays

Senate: 89 Ayes,3 Nays

1 - 20 of 21 Posts