RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound foolish to some of you gearheads, but when you put your engine in for a recall, how can you be certain you get the same one back. Now I realize there must be some serial numbers somewhere to check, but are they on removable parts?

In a shop under normal circumstances, there wouldn't 5 of the same motors being worked on for the same thing. My bike has only about 1500 miles on it, how do I know some mechanic wouldn't put it in his buddies bike that had 14,000 miles on it and puts his motor in my bike and I would never know until I starting seeing premature failures? Then they say, "oh, sorry, with so many motors, it must have been an oversight". I heard some places are even running two shifts, what if one guy starts a job and another finishes the job, it could happen.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but even hospitals switch babies by mistake sometimes. Should I scribe a few marks in some key places or are the serial numbers enough? I'm just trying to be a little cautious here. Some of you were recommending taking pictures of the bike to prevent damage. But that only covers what is on the outside, I'm concerned about the inside.

Thanks - Paul O'S

·
Registered
889 Posts
Usually, even if there are splits shifts only one guy will be working on your bike and will be held responsible.
So, unlike babies they arent gonna take all the engines and throw em in a room somewhere where names tags fall off and get switched.
It would have to be a "planned Job" to ***** on your engine.
You can always put a mark somewhere (like underneath) it won't show normally, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya just couldn't help yourself, could ya Audio? The brain thought it and the fingers just typed away! /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Slag

Ya just couldn't help yourself, could ya Audio? The brain thought it and the fingers just typed away! /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] sometimes i just cant help myself, but you have to admit it would be effective! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The engine has a serial number stamped into the housing somewhere, have a look in the owners manual.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I hope to god it's not the same engine, cause I'm getting the 108 big bore kit. But seriously, there are numbers on it, and like said, only one tech per bike at a time. But then again, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I plan to stick a piece of smelly limburg cheese inside the case at an inoportune spot. When I get the bike back, one wiff on the oil tank will confirm my darkest suspicions...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Don't worried about it. Check your numbers. What I'm worried is about installing all the kit parts like new oil,filter,rings,etc.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I wish it was "just like babies". Had it, never left my sight, 4 hours later I took it home. Second one same as the first. Oh yeah, mom help a little.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I feel better....so the group consensus is to paint it orange, make it stink, check the numbers and don't have any more children? I'm so glad I keep coming back here....This forum should be renamed "RSTorturers".

I guess I should be thankful that nobody said "do a search"

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Hey about the baby thing. My parents have told me for decades that when they brought me home from the hospital my mom called me The Boy; 'cause she was sure I was not the right kid. Turns out there was another boy born at same hospital, same name, same day. My mom was sure I was switched.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Grab an engraver & stick your initials on it,sure help keep my tools from disappearing.I have engraved the vin on every part of the bike i can get to & taken pictures in case some lowlife decides to relieve me of it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HDSKS

Grab an engraver & stick your initials on it,sure help keep my tools from disappearing.I have engraved the vin on every part of the bike i can get to & taken pictures in case some lowlife decides to relieve me of it.
Umm, I suppose you're the guy who engraves his name on his chick's tee-tees before sending her to the store to buy milk?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts