RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, buying a custum side mounted liscense plate soon. Since i do plan on riding at night, does anybody have any suggestions about how i can light that puppy up in the dark... Without spending alot.

·
Registered
850 Posts
several companies make license plate frames with lights on them. try kuraykan... cant ever spell it correctly... they have a few.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i purchased one by radiantz. around $26 bux and it does the job, plus it looks pretty good. can't remember where i purchased it, but it is available at phat performance parts.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I like the looks of this one. Is it a metal frame? Light or medium gauge? Does the light have two wires (+/-)? Did you hook it up to the old license plate wires from under the fender? Does it come with chrome hardware?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
One idea that's been bounced around is to mount a small spot type light (perhaps a powerful LED) under the fender pointing at the plate. It would be easy to mount, wiring would be a snap, and would be cheap.I had a side mount for a while, and this was the route I was going to go. Just a thought...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Justice said:
I like the looks of this one. Is it a metal frame? Light or medium gauge? Does the light have two wires (+/-)? Did you hook it up to the old license plate wires from under the fender? Does it come with chrome hardware?

its the one im buying from you buddyroll

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like the idea of these, i dont particularly want a chrome liscense plate cover, trying to stay away from chrome. You said you've used them before, how well do they work and how easy are they to install?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Justice said:
"its the one im buying from you buddyroll" - Arcwelder

I know. My questions were directed at Trick. He says he hasthe Radiantz frameand has installed it.
I digress

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Why do you want to light up your plate.Doesnt your plate have reflective paint on it? Why make it easyer for them to read it.Mine may be under my tailight but I have no light for the plate.Plus I have aclear plastic over the plate.All you see from behind at night is a reflection of light.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slngshott said:
Why do you want to light up your plate.Doesnt your plate have reflective paint on it? Why make it easyer for them to read it.Mine may be under my tailight but I have no light for the plate.Plus I have aclear plastic over the plate.All you see from behind at night is a reflection of light.
Because cops here in columbia SC can be ouche-days and several of my friends who have side mount plates have gotten pulled for not having them lit up. Just really dont feel like having my time wasted by bacon.

·
Registered
963 Posts
go to superbrightleds.com amd order a 12 volt white ledand mount it facing the plate. should be like $5. and some wire. Just an idea. Also in texas it is the law to have your plate lit up.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Guys, check with your local police department what is the status on the side mounted vertical plates.
Almost every State is passing laws against them (as we speak), so you might get a nasty fine... on top of spending the extra money for a billet plate.

I was reading the other day a thread where Arizona Warrior and other members were posting about vertical plates in their State and the fines you could get because of that... Be careful.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Arcwelder said:
forgot to quote.. that last comment was in reply to this..
mxjrb_651 said:

As with all of these side mounts you'll have to find a decent way to wire them up. I personally think side mounts are tacky, even more so when you have this piece of wire hangin down from the side mount to illuminate it. You can do it like some of the nicer custom HD ones where you mill out a space under the plate for the wire to run and drill the brackets accordingly. That being said, the acorn lights work so do the radiantz lights its just trying to find a nice clean way to run the wire that is somewhat hard to do. The acorn lights do a nice job lighting your plate up, especially if you use 2 of them.

I will add too that you probably will get bothered by law enforcement for this. I know several guys in here in MN that have been pulled over simply due to there position of the license plate.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea ive been worried about the wiring.. im going to find a way to get an l.e.d. light mounted on the swingarm or under the fender that will just shine on it so i dont see lots of extra wires. And luckily for me SC has some of the slackest motorcycle laws in the country; no helmet laws, no turn signal laws, and vertical mounts are legal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts