RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just took delivery on a 2004 Warrior. What's the best way to remove that funky warning sticker on the gas tank without damaging the paint finish?..........................dean

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
a hair drier to soften the adhesive and it will pull off. rubbing alcohol will make short work of what remains

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Yep - what Monstrddg said. Just make sure that you don't tear off the Warning sticker on your Matress, I hear it's a federal offense - or something.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
try peeling it off with no heat first. if it comes off, thats good. if it doesnt, use the heat. however, try to get a bottle of "GOO GONE". thatll take the globs of adhesive off after the decal.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The tank sticker comes off easy using one of the suggestions above. The sticker behind the seat is more of a pain in the a$$. As with most things, patience is a must! Have fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allsmiles, when you say "sticker behind the seat" are you referring to the YAMAHA lettering , the 4 plastic tabs under the passenger seat or perhaps you have another sticker that's not on my bike?.....dean

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Be sure to clean the goo-gone/goof-off/rubbing alcohol off afterwards with soap and water. You should also wax it too.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The big white one that sticks out like a sore thumb if you put on a solo seat. Yhe Yamaha lettering will come off with just your fingernail and a beer. Left the clear plastic tape on just in case I ever put another seat on. After you clean them all off, just wax everything and smile.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oly

Top tip: don't use a hammer and chisel or sandpaper

****, I knew that I did something wrong [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Often these stickers have a clear coat of their own and it's normally the layer to acquiesce first.Feel free to peel that up now.Continue applying heat until you can grab a corner of the sticker and have it come off the surface cleanly.If it wants to tear,apply a little more heat.It takes some patience and practice to know just how hard to pull, but as a general rule the gentler the better.Once the sticker has been removed,clean up any residue with a shot of WD-40 or Goo Gone. Alright,one down,15 to go!

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Twine, gum, fish hook, hammer, duct tape, the jaws-of-life and the this site's search engine, the only tools you will ever need.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Why all this stickers?Some would argue that because we're such litigious pinheads in this country we deserve every warning label and ludicrously obvious attempt to save us from ourselves.Manufacturers,particularly the large ones,are intensely sensitive to lawsuits,which is why your motorcycle is festooned with stickersthat might as well say,"Don't do anything stupid." As Americans we're free to dispense with such folderol. Believe it or not,some of those stickers are useful,like the ones that remind you of recommended tire pressures or to avoid putting jet fuel in the gas tank.However,most are just a bunch of sticky-back corporate CYA.Off with them!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
You could try what a mental giant girl-friend I once had tried. She had a new RX-7 with some dried bugs on the hood from her first drive of the car. They were not coming off easy enough for her; so she took a scotch-brite and went to town. NO KIDDING!!! She removed several DOZEN that way. A real rocket scientist.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Another marvel of cleaning residue is Ronsonol lighter fluid. Also, I have always reattached my stickers to a plastic sleeve saver (plastic protector for note book pages) and stored them away in my file. That way you have the info for future needs (some of the stickers actually have useful info).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts