RS Warrior Forum banner

201 - 220 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
hoe-leigh crap.

I didn't realize this was such a huge issue until I searched for this specific problem.

Mine is an '02 as well.

I have two major issues with mine at the moment.
The major one being the fuel leak. It seems like a relatively easy problem to fix that I am going to hopefully have the time to jump on this weekend.

The other one is the shock under the bike.
A local place here in Charleston quoted me a price of about $900 (give or take a few dollars) to replace the shock with a new one.
And I'm too much of a pansy to tackle that one so I'll leave it to the professionals. :D

·
Administrator
27,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
The shock is deceptively easy, there's photo threads around here someplace. Plus you can buy one for a 2003-or-newer and get the better unit. They come-up for sale here used on occasion, place a want-to-buy ad in the Marketplace Forum. Saves big bucks.

Which type fuel leak are you having? If its the left-side dry break, the Yamaha parts to fix the fuel leak are pricey but do the job the quickest. Those parts are all now 2003-or-newer style parts even from the factory. But these dry breaks also come up for sale here, just have to see pics first to know for sure its not a 2002 part. There's pics in this thread of the differences.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The shock is deceptively easy, there's photo threads around here someplace. Plus you can buy one for a 2003-or-newer and get the better unit. They come-up for sale here used on occasion, place a want-to-buy ad in the Marketplace Forum. Saves big bucks.

Which type fuel leak are you having? If its the left-side dry break, the Yamaha parts to fix the fuel leak are pricey but do the job the quickest. Those parts are all now 2003-or-newer style parts even from the factory. But these dry breaks also come up for sale here, just have to see pics first to know for sure its not a 2002 part. There's pics in this thread of the differences.
The leak is actually on the left side much like several of the previous posts.

I guess I need to pull the tank and inspect the dry brakes.
Do you mean pricey for what they are made of?

·
Registered
649 Posts

What type of shock are you getting for $900.00 ..?? I have a stock one off my 05 You can have for $85.00 shipped .... and it is not really that hard to change it out .... If it is a stock shock set up you have been quoted 900 for that to me is ridiculous ...you can buy an air ride system for not much more ...or here is a new take off (0 miles) unit for 225.00 with links and relay arm ...This is an 02 unit that does not have the "tuning " ability as the 03 up shock but still a decent deal
Yamaha RoadStar Warrior Rear Shock | eBay

·
Administrator
27,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Dayum $85 for an 03+ fully adjustable stock shock is a helluva sweet deal you should grab it before I do!

The dealer parts always cost more but in the case of the dry break its worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What type of shock are you getting for $900.00 ..?? I have a stock one off my 05 You can have for $85.00 shipped .... and it is not really that hard to change it out .... If it is a stock shock set up you have been quoted 900 for that to me is ridiculous ...you can buy an air ride system for not much more ...or here is a new take off (0 miles) unit for 225.00 with links and relay arm ...This is an 02 unit that does not have the "tuning " ability as the 03 up shock but still a decent deal
Yamaha RoadStar Warrior Rear Shock | eBay
I'll take it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
An update:
After taking the side cover off I found out just like many other people has, that the dry break was in fact broken. It's a slight crack on the back side of it that can't be seen until I took the dry break off.

It was VERY easy to take off.

I ran a temporary 3/8 fuel line from the tank to the pump and whamo.
I did get a set of dry breaks coming from Pulsator2199 and he provided the confidence via text and email! Words can't express how thankful I am to him and the vast amount of knowledge on this forum! :D:D

I think I'll tackle the shock next. (As soon as I can get my @$$ back home...):)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
This is in another thread, but I'm putting it here too, so the leak info is in one place.

Yesterday, while I was taking my new to me 05 to get registered, I found a puddle of gas under it when I went for the VIN inspection. It was leaking from the dry break under the seat. That was an easy fix (although I did panic a bit :rolleyes:). A $1.66 O-ring and it's all good.

An hour or two and a few short stops after the first leak was fixed, I'm going about 60 mph and suddenly my left leg is getting soaked and my whole left side is getting sprayed with gas. The nipple from the gas tank outlet had pulled out. Luckily I had read about that here on the forum and knew what was going on. I just pushed it back in place and got it home. When the nipple falls out, that gas really pours out quick! :eek:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I found a wet spot on the floor and my garage smelled like gas. quick investigation and found that my filter assembly on the left side of the tank was leaking. Just ordered new parts from boats.net #8 and #9 in the fuel tank diagram.

looks also pretty dirty under there and oily too.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
This!

I also got a leak this year and just recently figured out the issue. I've made a separate thread to highlight the defect and not hijack this thread.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/183264-warning-another-type-fuel-leak-if-you-own-warrior-please-read.html
this is exactly what happened to my 2008 today on a full tank of gas. it was a total cluster fu*k. luckily it happened in my driveway not on the road or the motor heat could have caused a fire. I'm guessing I have to replace this entire unit now. so lame. I'm sure this tiny unit is several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I found a wet spot on the floor and my garage smelled like gas. quick investigation and found that my filter assembly on the left side of the tank was leaking. Just ordered new parts from boats.net #8 and #9 in the fuel tank diagram.

looks also pretty dirty under there and oily too.....
isn't yours an 08? mine has a leak there too.

201 - 220 of 246 Posts