RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I put a gas tank on (after it was painted), I was able to pour only about 2 gallons of gas. I was pouring it on a side stand. Could this be an issue?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There are two tanks on the Warrior

Fuel tank capacity
Total (including reserve) 15 L (13.2 Imp qt, 15.86 US qt)
Reserve only 3 L (2.64 Imp qt, 3.17 US qt)

15 L = 3.9585000000000003 Gallons
12 L = 3.1668000000000003 Gallons (Tank)
3 L = 0.7917000000000001 Gallons (Reserve)

I doubt being on a side stand prevented you from getting a whole gallon of gas in to the tank.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Everytime I fill up on gas I have never been able to go 3 gallons. I think the most I was ever able to fill was 2.7 gallons and that was after riding 20 miles after the fuel light came on.
I agree w/ NOIZE, I doubt being on a side stand is an issue. Depending on how I ride, I usually go about 100 miles or so before I start thinking about fuel. My longest range was 135 miles and I just made it to a gas station...[/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It is worth checking that the dry breaks are properly connected. They should engage with a positive click.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's strange.....
How's that possible? Dry breaks seems to be in place.
The dent could take a few drops out of the tank's capacity if it was not repaired and just painted over, but it was repaired and the dent was straightened back. Not 100%, but more than half went back into place and the rest inequality was filled with fiberglass. Well... anyway, there is no chance for the dent to take almost a gallon?!
May be I should wait a while for the air to come out or smth?
Silly questions come on my mind.... [xx(]

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm with MDF I always seemt to fuel up at the 100 mile mark and never have put more than about 2.7 in. But then again I still need to do the Perfect Install to see if I get better fuel milage.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
aww....com on now you guys all fell for the joke.....

"How much gas in dry tank" ??

the answer is ZERO....nada....nothing.....dry is dry man...

But seriously. If the dry breaks are not connected, and the total capacity of the main tank is 3.1 gals, then he minimaly should be able to get the 3 gallons in there if all conditions are perfect....um, maybe bike is upright and level as apposed to sitting on the kick stand? seems to me the main tank has 2 sides or "lobes" for the gass to settle into? sometimes I wiggle the beast between my legs (Oh...did I just say that!) to get the gas to fill right up!!! Just a thought...wow...beast between my legs.....that came out funny!...

·
Registered
581 Posts
haha, that's what i was going to say, "0".

But in reality, with my fuel light on, i can get close to 3 gallons. I have put in more than three after riding for a long time with the light on.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You will never be able to fully fill the tank as there will always be an air gap at the top. You can gey a bit more in by carefully punching a couple of holes at the top of the filler tube. This will allow air to excape and help get some more fuel in. I would not recommend this if you just going to park up as the fuel will expand and possibly overflow but if you are going to ride for a while then it will be OK. Alternatively you could fill the tank with the bike upright.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I fill it while on the side stand it takes about 1/2 gallon less compared to straight up "while shaking the beast".

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Yup, that's a lousy design. There aren't many gas pumps that allow you to fill the tank slowly enough so extra gas doesn't blow out as you fill. I may get brave enough to punch a hole in the baffle. End of problem....well, until I fill it full, park it in the garage and come back and find a pool under the bike! Oh yes, your question:} You should be able to easily get about 2.7galls in the tank assuming the reserve is full. Can't imagine why you only got 2 galls unless it's the ole American vs Imperial gallon trick.............

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Maybe the pump is off in your favor. Go back with a empty SUV and see if you can fill that tank and pump still only reads 2 gallons dispensed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by gchalifo

aww....com on now you guys all fell for the joke.....
"How much gas in dry tank" ??

That wasn't a joke. Just for you my friend I will ask again "How much gas goes into dry tank?" There you go [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
Guess I will fill it up in the upright position and "shake the beast" a few times.
I was filling it up in a garage from a plastic container that says 10 liters (2.12gal) (will recheck that container as well). And wasn't able to pour all the gas out. Don't know how much left was in reserve tank, but low gas light wasn't lit (what's the difference?).

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I know it wasn't a joke...just messin with ya broher![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

I believe the low fuel light comes on when the main tank is detected by ?? one of the dry breaks?? as being empty. (keep in mind it may not be 100% empty due to movement and sloshing around of the fuel.) At this point you are running on the fuel tank under the seat.

Really, the only accurate way to measure exactly how much fuel you put in the tank is to measure it at the pump. My gut feeling is that because you used a gas can, it's tough to say you had 2.12 gallons in that can as appsoed to "about 2 gallons". If you want exact measurements, you need to use the pump, OR, make a quick note on what was pumped into the can at the pump.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by gchalifo
I believe the low fuel light comes on when the main tank is detected by ?? one of the dry breaks?? as being empty.

No it's not. "Empty" is being detected by the float in reserve tank. Like in a car. Maybe. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

I don't think the gas can simply disappear from the tank or the tank may have less capacity than it should. There is some misunderstanding caused by filling on the side stand, gas can capacity, air etc... Will work this out.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Dude, there is no float in either of the tanks! If you find one let me know!

I believe if you start your bike, and disconnect the dry brake under your seat at the end of the main tank the fuel light will come on.

Good luck man. You seem to know what you are doing!....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I said "maybe". Whatever...
Just trying to figure out is my gas tank shrinking or not.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coming back to my post.
New question is: "How to check if the low gas light is operating?"
To put it another way - how to force it to show "low gas"?

Turning the key into ignition position shows that everything is fine. Light comes on, arrows jump up and down. I disconnected dry brake under the seat (ignition ON), but the light did not show.

No riding here till spring. Rain, rain, rain.... all week already.

·
Registered
525 Posts
was the nozzle of the gas pump down in the tank or did ya pull it out to the rim of the tank? i can only get about 2 gallons when i sink it all the way in there. otherwise i get 3.1 to 3.5 depending on how far i go after the light comes on....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts