RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to: Add fuel stabilizer to the reserve tank without riding the bike.

In addition to standard tools you will need:
A 8 to 12" length of 5/16 id rubber hose.
A small funnel with a tip that will fit tightly into the 5/16 hose.
A small measuring cup that indicates ounces.
A clean container to catch some gas.

Remove seat.

Remove left side air scoop.

Disconnect dry breaks.

Remove the left side cover, the one with the lock for the seat. You can let it hang on the lock cable.

Move the ECU.

On the left side of the reserve tank there is a metal pipe fitting soldered to the reserve tank. This is the first connection you will see when looking in from the left side of the bike. The hose that is attached to it is the bypass/return hose from the fuel pressure regulator.
Slide the spring clamp up on the hose & use a screw driver to push the by pass hose up off the metal tube fitting. CAUTION: Be sure to have a shop rag handy to catch a bit of gas that will spill from the hose.

Stick the end of the bypass hose in the clean container & turn on the ignition key & let the fuel pump cycle. Cycle the fuel pump 5 or 6 times.

Install the extra piece of 5/16 hose on the metal fitting for the return fuel. A hose clamp is not needed as there will be not be any pressure on this hose.

Install the small funnel in the other end of the 5/16 hose.

Measure out the required quantity of fuel stabilizer you are going to use. Use 1 gallon as the reserve tank capacity.

Pour the stabilizer into the funnel. It probably will not go down into the reserve tank so here is the tricky part & a helper may be necessary however I was able to do it myself. Put the bypass/return hose back in the container you pumped gas into & turn the key on. The stabilizer will be sucked into the reserve tank.

Put it all back together fire it up & let it run for awhile to get the stabilizer to the injectors.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
isnt it more fun just to add the stabilizer to you regular tank and then ride for an hour or so?

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SmaShitUp(mike7202) said:
isnt it more fun just to add the stabilizer to you regular tank and then ride for an hour or so?

Weather permitting.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Or just get some good cold-weather gear and ride it year round at least once a week or so during the coldest months.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Hats off to Woody. I have often wondered about how much stabil actually got to my reserve tank? I usually fill the tank and then ride a few miles to get into the reserve tank. But even doing it that way the small amount that makes it to the reserve tank is very diluted.

Thanks woody.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hold up now. I always assumed that the reserve tank was part of the fuel tank, and the low fuel light comes on when you have one gallon left. I must be missing something here

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
nope. from what i understand when your light comes on your regular tank is pretty much empty. thats why you hear guys saying that if you run till your almost out of gas 130ish miles that when you fill up, to fill the tank, wait a few minutes to let the gas drain into the reserve tank and then top off

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why so much pain in the ***? I add it when I change the oil before winterizing. Just add a stabilizer, top the fuel and start the bike.

You must warm it before the oilchange anyway. Just let it gobble a little longer and have some beer in the process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts