RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my orthopedic surgeon. And he kind smiled and said I'm sorry old guy but it's going to be a long time, if ever, I ride a bike again. I need surgery on two places on my spine, with the worst one being right at the curve of my Corbin seat. I got to tell you, after 40 years, it brings a tear to my eye.

I have to be thankful , that it's not fatal, I've got people that love me and so far I'm able to make a living. So, I live a blessed life. But one chapter just ended for me. So' I'm going to sell the my Warrior, I got a bunch of stuff I'll put in the for sale section cheap. I just can't look at it.

So, thanks guys, keep the shiny side up, and take a ride for me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
After the surgery, when your healed up, wouldnt you be able to get a custom seat of some sort?

I hope the best for you. Mayeb there is other options, just not on the Warrior. Maybe a trike with added suspension and special seat of some sort. With the intelligence on this site, I am sure something could be figured out.

Dont give up yet.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
If that is the way it must be, I wish you well. But there are always alternatives.

A guy at work had had surgery, and he had problems riding his bike - Vulcan Nomad. He looked into trykes and tried a Vulcan 900. He felt better on the lighter bike. Bought it and figured he could sell it if it didn't work out. A year and a1/2 later he is still riding it. Just not as far. But as he says, at least I'm riding. Just give it some thought.

But no matter what, good luck.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If motorcycles are truly out of the question, maybe the next hobby could be rebuilding an old muscle car or kit car of some sort. My brother-in-law and I talk about doing that -- building one of those open-wheel kit cars, dropping a big ol' crate engine in it, and tearing around town on the weekends. Could be a bunch of fun.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, In the back of my mind I'm holding out hope. The feet forward postion with my spine right on the seat is the worst. Maybe after the PHys thearapy is done. I can try something I sit straight up on. My wise ass buddy said "get a Trails bike, they don't have seats"

Thanks for the nice comments men, it means a lot.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH yeah, I'm going to make noise with something. I've always wanted to do a kit car.

papawheelie said:
If motorcycles are truly out of the question, maybe the next hobby could be rebuilding an old muscle car or kit car of some sort. My brother-in-law and I talk about doing that -- building one of those open-wheel kit cars, dropping a big ol' crate engine in it, and tearing around town on the weekends. Could be a bunch of fun.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Sorry to hear that.Good luck with whatever you do.How about a Fj1,R1 Or a Busa? you lean forward so your not directly on your spine.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I look forward to seeing how you deal with this and keep riding because I have back problems, too. If you can sit in a really comfortable chair then you can sit on a really comfortable motorcycle, right? "Let's roll."

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Don't get too down about this, there is always a way and things ussually seem to turn out much better then doctors say they will in my experience. There's all sorts of folks walking around doing things they were told they'd never be able to do or even live to do so keep a positive attitude and see what you can make happen. I hope it all goes well and I wish you the best of luck!

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Look real hard at Goldwings, if you want to keep riding. And then check out a company "Russell Day Long Seats" they do custom couches 'er seats for the Rocket III's and Wings as well and said to be the be all end all to motorcycle seats. I'd post a link but I don't have it, just google the name.

+1 to what Marco was saying, look at me for instance I was told that I'd never be able to walk without a walker again, much less ride a bike and now go most of the time without even a cane and I'm on a bigger, faster bike than a Warrior.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm sure there is some sort of ride to accomodate your back,really sucks to hear that but at least you will have all the good times to remember

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
OUCH!!!! Can you say "second opinion"? Find an ortho who rides, and say "Not even a geezer-wing" with a really sick look in your eyes. Work with a doc who knows what it means.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, that is the second opinion. I'm going to require 4 hours of surgury in two sections of my spine. and alot of titunium, Right now the riding postion, of the Warrior. My age, and lengthh of recoverey are the issue. I could maybe be ridind a sit up bike next year, but after that a spill is what really worries the Doc. The funny thing was on last nights Superbikes, Jason got basically the same deal, his was a 3 hour surgury. But he's about 30 years younger, and quite an athelete. I figure my guitar playing will get a lot better, I always wanted to learn to Chicken pick.

But I really appriecate your kind thoughts.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
tele52 said:
 Actually, that is the second opinion. I'm going to require 4 hours of surgury in two sections of my spine. and alot of titunium, Right now the riding postion, of the Warrior. My age, and lengthh of recoverey are the issue. I could maybe be ridind a sit up bike next year, but after that a spill is what really worries the Doc. The funny thing was on last nights Superbikes, Jason got basically the same deal, his was a 3 hour surgury. But he's about 30 years younger, and quite an athelete.  I figure my guitar playing will get a lot better, I always wanted to learn to Chicken pick.

But I really appriecate your kind thoughts.
That IS bad news. I pray and hope for you that indeed your riding days are NOT over.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts