RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No idea how many miles, but I have a Michelin Pilot Road 2 190/50 on the rear. I can see the wear indicators, but why is there this funny shape to it, like the center is high w/ concave areas adjacent? Is this thing about to blow? Unsafe?

Attachments

Registered
Looks like it's under inflated or tyre has manufacturer fault. 馃. Frec 馃嚞馃嚙

Administrator
I run a 280 rear tire and all my tires, no matter what brand, wears flat in the middle. I would replace that tire ASAP if it was mine.

Registered
That is typical of dual compound tires, and why I don't use them. Not dangerous, but it's not going to handle very well.
What this guy said....

I do love me some dual compound tires, but they are usually much narrower and on different types of bikes.

Registered
No idea how many miles, but I have a Michelin Pilot Road 2 190/50 on the rear. I can see the wear indicators, but why is there this funny shape to it, like the center is high w/ concave areas adjacent? Is this thing about to blow? Unsafe?
My Avon cobra looked like that just before it started showing cord. I would advise not riding on that any further. I changed out both front and rear, and the bike went from feeling very soft and "Cadillac" like in ride quality to feeling like a planted and stable machine again.

Registered
It is normal for pilot road series. I did not used it on rear wheel. And I did not used 2 series, but used 3 and 4 series on front wheel, and use 4 now. Every of each became same pyramidic.

[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
As you know, dual compound tires are great when you have to do a lot of highway miles in between riding twisties. The center is harder rubber to reduce the flat-tread that results from riding mostly straight roads. Avon dual compound wears more evenly but the fact is both are good tires.

In your case, from the picture, the wear result is partly because the 190 tire is not a perfect fit for the stock rim width, and partly because of low air pressure.

Visually, just from the picture, I have fewer concerns over the safety of riding that tire a bit more. I don鈥檛 see any bare cord or cracks and if any existed you would have mentioned it. But it sure is nice to have a nicely rounded tire to flik.

You might try a dual compound Avon 200. Lots of success on this bike over many years here. And at 200mm the tire tread radius hits the sweet spots.

Registered
Time to replace tires that鈥檚 all. I just changed my front and back with Dunlop Sportmax III

They get great reviews for maintaining consistant grip as they wear down

I also went down one size from stock on the back for better handling it鈥檚 not even noticeable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts