RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Stage IV Warrior, with VBAK, Polished heads etc. and I just took off the Speedstar 2-1-2 Megacone and put on the stock exhaust. I know ... weird eh?

So, more restrictive at muffler but also smaller diameter header pipes than the Speedstar. What should I expect. I just leaned it out some on the PC III (twice as much in the high range). I'm not sure when I can find a decent Dyno to properly tune it for this set up.

Also, a little concerned that there seems to be a tick on front cylinder right side ... I hope it isn't a bad lifter or something. It may have always been there but I wasn't hearing it because of louder pipe .. not sure. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet because it rained all day.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Did you ever see that episode of Mythbusters where they plugged all the reliefs in a water heater and put the heat to it until it popped? Maybe you can do that to the stock Muffler.

I have a tick in that area too only really notice it when I'm running the bike on the jack with the tank off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Exhaust volume (cavity space not sound), and gas velocity are affected. Smaller diameter headers have the gas traveling faster than larger diameter headers. Peak torque will come sooner with smaller headers, but will also reduce your max power, because you’ve changed the torque curve. Both the speedstar and the stock exhaust have strong scavenging(pulling remaining gases out) effects because of the 2-1 design. The stock muffler is huge and probably creates a decent low pressure for the speedy gases. The speedstar kit makes more power and probably changes the cfm rate slightly. The step up in size in the speedstar pipe is probably very appropriate for the max power output possible with that set up, maybe even made to handle the output of nitrous. Peak torque happening mid-late rpm range seems to be be best choice for going fast and making the most power, but I don’t think you’re sacrificing too much having the stock can on.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tick turned out to be an exhaust leak at the head of front cylinder (bad exhaust gasket I think). Went back to the Speedstar pipe for now!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used the exhaust with a very bad, old and almost crumbling gasket on the previous motorcycle for about a month ... or two. Nothing unusual, except for the increased noise level and strong steam in the rain)))

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I was just worried that it was something internal. Then I saw a little bit of soot that had blown out due to the leak. I replaced the gasket when I switched back to other pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts