RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know exactly what I did, but I changed something.

The bike runs fine..been riding all winter
..BUT..I noticed it revs when I get on it while in gear at speed. I could be doing say, 50mph, twist the wrist and it revs a good 500 RPM before the power hits the tranny...

As I've said, I don't remember which code/setting I messed with while on the on-board computer..but I see & feel the outcome.

BTW, I DO NOT have a PC III, but have V&H pipes, VBAK & set up the air/fuel mix right a few years ago, so no external mods were the issue.

If anyone can help, it's greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
That sounds like it might be your clutch slipping. This can happen just from your clutch cable being out of adjustment. Do you have a manual ...or know how to check that adjustment?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
+100 in clutch

Just loosen that cable as much as possible, but still have the ability to shift.... just barely... if it stills slips... time for new plates...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Did you recently make a change to the ECU or is the last time you changed it years ago when you got your pipes and stuff?

If you didn't recently change anything in the ECU, i'd investigate the clutch slipping angle. The ECU shouldn't just start causing that, and im not sure what you could mess with in there to make it do what you say its doing.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gang!

It's not the clutch cable. That's fine.

I adjusted the ECU after the BAK & V&H pipes were installed years ago and all has been well.

I messed with the ECU while attempting to change the fuel/air mix with the jumper attached to the ECU "puck". I was having trouble doing that &, by mistake, I changed some code/setting. I caught myself with the big "uh-oh!! and reversed the change (I thought!) to the original. Obviously I was wrong.

The bike runs/rides fine..the tach just jumpsafter the clutch engaged at speed. I feel the power kick in aftera surge while on the throttle. Weird.

Of course, there's nothing in the manual about code settings & dealer techs know nothing about it!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Sounds like you may have gotten into the diagnostic mode. You can see your engine temp, throttle position, voltage and test things like the relays.... But there is NOTHING that you could have changed from there.

The symtom you describe points to a clutch issue
Honest! We wouldn't lie to you about these things.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
If your clutch cable is adjusted OK.. then it could be your clutch plates that are worn and need changing...?

Or you are using Oil that is not compatible with the multiplate wet clutch...?

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Honestly, everything you've described sounds like the clutch. I can think of nothing in the ECU that would cause that. It's probably just a coincidence that it occurred right after adjusting the ECU.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I thought I remember a thread somewhere that said if you disconnect your battery, it returns your ECU back to factory settings.

Did I dream that?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess you guys are right in saying it is a coincidence at the timing I noticed this happening. May be a clutch plate issue...I have run Amsoil since I've owned the bike (since new) and only have 32K miles on her...I'll check it out over the weekend or tonight (if it ain't too cold!!
)

Thanks for all of your input! As always, it is greatly appreciated!!

·
Administrator
29,662 Posts
But what about that time you were in the twisties and came out into warp drive, and your entire being s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out at light speed? I'm pretty sure as I was passing you on the insideI saw some physical angular displacement in your bike . . .

RobRiguez said:
Being that we have no torque converter, when the clutch is engaged, there is a physical hard link from the piston all the way to the wheel. There is no way for the engine to rev up without either the rear wheel spinning or your clutch slipping. Its just physically not possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts