RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a total noob question, but what kind of battery tender do I need? They make one (battery tender plus) for a lead acid type battery and one for a gel type battery. I have the svr 14 in my bike.

Also, I have a cheapo style charger. It is a Schumaker 1.5 amp slow charge Battery Companion. It says it isa fully automatic battery charger/maintainer with float-mode monitoring for 6 & 12 volt lead acid batteries. Will this work for winterizing purposes? By winterizing I mean pulling the battery and keeping it connected throughout the cold months.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sk

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm using the battery tender plus right now. I like it because you can leave it on and connected 24 hours a day and you don't have to worry about frying anything.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Bought a Schumacher charger at Advance Auto Parts for $30 bucks or so. It's automatic so it knows when to charge and when to stop. Quick disconnect wires hang out from under the seat. I plug it in after every ride - until the next ride.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scoper50 said:
I'm using the battery tender plus right now. I like it because you can leave it on and connected 24 hours a day and you don't have to worry about frying anything.

But which one? They make a battery tender plus for both lead acid and gel styles? The svr 14 is an amg style, I believe, and I'm not sure which one to get or if the schumacker that I have will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
+1

Scoper50 said:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, Run down to Harbor Freight Tools and pick up their battery tender. They are $9.99, and often on sale for $4.99. I have 3 or 4 of them on my bikes and they work great. They only have squeeze type clamps, but if your just using them for the winter its no big deal. I have cut the ends off of some of my tendersand put on 2 pin trailer plugs (can be purchased at any auto store, like NAPA or Autozone).I hard wired one end to the battery, and the other end on the battery tender and I can just connect when needed without taking off the seat.

Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damian said:
+1

Scoper50 said:

Yes, I'm looking into the battery tenders. My question is they make two versions of the battery tender plus. One for lead acid type and one for gel type. If i'm running the svr 14 (amg or agm) which battery tender plus do i need?

·
Registered
110 Posts
wal-mart sells a good one for $20.00 been using one for the past five years no dead battery on a 2002 with the original battery.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You need the battery tender plus for lead acid batteries. I paid 60 bucks for mine at Dennis Kirks. But I have seen them cheaper on the internet

·
Administrator
30,392 Posts
I've been using the Schmacher for years on my OEM battery, its the best I've ever had. I didn't even know a different charger was needed for gel batteries. What's up with that? I just checked their website andthe Battery Tender Plus says it'll charge any type battery. I did a google for gel battery charger and every one I looked at said they would charge and float both lead acid and gel.That being said, this Schumacher I've been using says lead acid right on the front panel! I guess I have some research to do. Does anyone have the answer
!

It turns out this isn't such a 'noob' question at all!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
TECK said:
Pulsetech Xtreme Charge 5-Stage Motorcycle Battery Maintenance Charger

It is not given away but that's the way to go for a top of the line tender.

That's the one I bought. Got tired of battery tenders not able to fully charge the high CCA batteries. This ones is a lot bigger than any tender I've had and has cool LED's that tel you the status of the charge and battery. Not cheap but defiantly cool. Quick shipping too.

·
Administrator
30,392 Posts
Everything I find says the sealed lead acid (SLA) and gel are the same chemistry, both are sealed lead acid, and both use the same charger EXCEPT the gel battery cannot be quick-charged it can only be trickle-charged because there are no vents for gasses.

Example: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080617085141AARMdlh
Question: "What is the differencebetween gel & acid Batteries other than if you pouch them over the gel will not leek or is there different chargers for these batteries."

Answer 1: "A gel battery (also known as a "gel cell") is a rechargeable valve regulated lead-acid battery with a gelified electrolyte. Unlike a traditional wet-cell lead-acid battery, these batteries do not need to be kept upright (though they cannot be charged inverted). In addition, gel batteries virtually eliminate the electrolyte evaporation, spillage (and subsequent corrosion issues) common to the wet-cell battery, and boast greater resistance to extreme temperatures, shock, and vibration. As a result, they are primarily used in automobiles, boats, aircraft, and other motorized vehicles. These batteries are often colloquially referred to as sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries due to their non-leaking containers, but they are not completely sealed; the valve regulation system allows for gas to be expelled. Chemically they are the same as wet (non sealed) batteries except that the antimony in the lead plates is replaced by calcium. This preserves the mechanical characteristics but renders the construction far less prone to gassing. The battery type is often referred to as a Lead-Calcium battery.

At high currents, electrolysis of water occurs, expelling Hydrogen and Oxygen gas through the battery's valves. Care must be taken to prevent short circuits and rapid charging. Charging with a constant voltage (called the float charge voltage; 2.26 V per cell for a lead-acid chemistry) can cause a rapid initial current, so therefore it is suggested to begin with a constant current, using constant voltage only for the final portion of the charging. However, the float charge voltage should not be exceeded by much for typical usage, so the switch between the two modes typically occurs when the float voltage is needed to sustain the charging current through the battery's internal resistance (as per Ohm's Law). The easiest way to implement this is to use a constant voltage device with a current limiter."

Answer 2: "Gel batteries are designed so they wont leak and they can be used anyway up. Because of this they are sealed which means they have a catalyst to breakdown the gases caused by charging So they have to be charged at a slower rate and MUST not be overcharged PS some car batteries claim to be sealed but they are Not the same as a Gel battery and should not be used upside down !"

Answer 3: "Just be careful not to re-charge at a high rate as they can explode or lose their charge capacity. These are good for marine and motorcycle use. They can withstand a more physical beating as they are in a tougher, sealed casing. They use the same charger."

Based on this it seems on thesurface better to have a non-gel battery however I don't really have much knowledge on this topic.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
I've been using the Schmacher for years on my OEM battery, its the best I've ever had. I didn't even know a different charger was needed for gel batteries. What's up with that? I just checked their website andthe Battery Tender Plus says it'll charge any type battery. I did a google for gel battery charger and every one I looked at said they would charge and float both lead acid and gel.That being said, this Schumacher I've been using says lead acid right on the front panel! I guess I have some research to do. Does anyone have the answer
!

It turns out this isn't such a 'noob' question at all!

Yep, this is what I'm using.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for answering. Here is some of the info that I've come across in my research:

http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.php

The link above shows a list of the type or battery chargers and tenders that battery tender makes. If you look at the product summary for the battery tender plus it states that it charges standard and AGM, or gel batteries, though it doesn't necessarilly notate that there is a different charger/tender for the battery type. But if you look up battery tender pluson amazon.com then you will notice that there are a few different options to choose from, with some of the reviews stating that the customer bought one and had to send it back because it was a gel battery charger, and not the correct type for standard lead acid type batteries. The part number given off of amazon for the lead acid type is 021-0128, while a differnt part number is given for the other (gel)as 021-0156. Both of these are for Deltran Battery Tender Plus 12-Volt 1.25 Amp Battery Charger.

Standard lead acid type charger/tender:

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-SuperSmart-Battery-12-Volt-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1225073907&sr=8-1

Gel type charger/tender:

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Battery-Tender-12-Volt-Charger/dp/B000NCOKQK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1225073907&sr=8-6

(look at the first review on this link and you will see what I mean.)

Further, this is what Deltran has to say about the differences between flooded, sealed, VRLA, AGM, and Gel batteries. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page for the descriptions.

http://batterytender.com/introduction_to_lead_acid_batteries.php

Now, as to the SVR 14 is concerned, from what I have found it is an AGM style battery, which can be referenced here:

http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=1

As you can see, this is a lot to take in. That is why I am a bit confused as to which charger/tender that I should be using for my battery.

And finally to the moderater that, so kindly, moved my thread to the wanted section; I can see how the title may have been misleading as to the purpose of my thread, but if you were to read what I am asking on the first post, it is obvious that I am not trying to buy anything from anyone on this forum, just merely asking some questions about which type of product would be right for my applications.

Thanks,

sk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and thanks toArizona Warriorfor your over the top research into my questions. That is the same charger that I currently have, and am hoping will work for the SVR 14 AGM battery.

sk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts