RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran the diagnosicts on my 02 warrior and it says my kick stand switch and my neutral saftey switch don't work . So my coils won't allow bike to start . How can I fix them ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it will not try to start from the handle bars at all , even if you jump the solenoid it won't spark on thespark plugs .

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,555 Posts
Let me ask first, have you already checked the handlebar on-off kill switch is working, that it has power from the bike to the handlebar switch and the switch is working?

If yes then next read-up in the manual about the start circuit logic / fuel injection relay so its in-mind. Then view the relay circuit on the wiring diagram (top left). Then have a look at alanh's profile link for this relay he has advice for testing that will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Handle bar switch seems to be working fine , atleast good enough to run the diagnosicts program. Why would that relay stop the kick stand switch and the nuetral safety switch from working or ready right ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your start / injection logic relay may be the culprit. Its under the rider seat in the relay-well side of the battery box on the tree with the turn signal relay and others.

5PX-81950-00-00 for 2002-2003 bikes.
I put the new start / ingection logic relay and now it trys to start from the handle barswitch but doesn't start . Seems like it doesn't turn over fast enough. I just check the oil and it is full all the way to the top . Can that cuase the slowing of it turning over ?

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,555 Posts
High oil level will not affect starting. BTW there is a Yamaha video in The Welcome Mat showing how to check oil level in this semi-dry-sump motor. Its important to become aware of it.

Its good the relay is now completing the circuit. Its possible your battery lacks enough power to light-up the sensor array.

Its important here to not make ANY assumptions, except that if your bike's spark plugs are sparking and you can smell that fuel is spraying, then it should at least go bang. If you are seeing weird behavior then the one assumption will be battery power level (even if you charge it) because a weak battery will shed voltage the moment you engage. This can be metered or a shop can load test it.

So all that in mind, it might help if you briefly describe exactly what things sound like and what things do when you try to start it. Or post a youtube video and post a link here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It turns over slowly. I sprayed a small amount of either next to the breather and it starts up but does as soon as it is burned up . I have turned it off and on 5 times but without either there's no starting .

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,555 Posts
It turns over slowly. I sprayed a small amount of either next to the breather and it starts up but does as soon as it is burned up . I have turned it off and on 5 times but without either there's no starting .
Okay good thinking. There are a few things that can cause the injectors to not work. Usually if an injector fails the other still works, so if testing with spray ether went bang then fuel would have. So this sounds like an electrical trouble. Probably should start by testing the Lean Angle Sensor (LAS) because it acts by shutting off fuel supply if the bike overturns. When if sticks, its a sign its failing. So start by tap-tap-tapping gently-ish on the body of the LAS. That might dislodge the pendulum inside the LAS. If this works and allows the bike to start, then order a NEW one from Yamaha so it will be reliable for a long time.

If it does not work, then lets look at other potential culprits. But also just in case you might read-up here (search criteria: LAS Lean Angle Sensor) about possible temporary fixes like sticking the pendulum in the run position with glue (if you crash you might be burned). BUT DON'T MODIFY THE LAS UNTIL WE LOOK AT OTHER POTENTIAL CULPRITS!

BTW in the service manual there is a Trouble Shooting by Failure section. Start with motor does not start. I admit its not all-inclusive. There are members here who know more than the manual does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts