RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 08 Midnight on August 29th, and I think my season is already over. I live in MInnesota and it looks like the temperature is going to be consistantly between 37-55 degrees for the time being. And it's only going to get colder as winter sets in. I was hoping to ride through october, at least to work. But I get off work at 10pm and by then it's just too **** cold to ride. The ride to work at 55-60 degrees wouldn't be too bad, but the ride home isn't worth the suffering.

It would be really cool to use this time to do some mods to the bike before spring, but I am a new homeowner and my mortgage payment is still a huge percentage of my income. So I don't have a lot of money to play with. But I have some. I plan on saving up for some street sweeprs for spring. As hard as it might be, I'm gonna try and force myself to work a day of overtime here and there throughout the winter to make some extra cash to do some more stuff.

I really wish I had more money. It would make this time a lot more fun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I thought....
Man, cheers up! When season is over in summer due to accident or some technical problems - that is real BAD.

Now it's over because of the weather.

Yeah, I know there is going to be a loooooong winter. I bought my bike eeerhh.... I think also in october and you know what - the most important thing on TV news for me was weather report
. I became very interested in weather forecast since February. Very interested. hehe...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
BassProShop fleece lined jeans and a pair of thermals are the ticket. You can still ride, just make sure that you have another pair of pants at work to change into.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Layer up and you'll be ok. I picked up a pair of Gerbing G3 heated gloves over the weekend and they make a heckuva difference. It was 45° on my ride into work this morning...it's a 1 hour ride on the highway too...and I was nice and toasty.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Washingtonwarrior said:
Buy heated clothing and ride very comfortably even in temps under freezing. I could not recommend the stuff more strongly. Take a look Gerbings
I bought some Gerbings last year and left out with temps in the 20's. Started sweating 10 miles later, you dont have to turn those things up very much to be toasty. We regularly ride in the 30's here just have to watch for heavy frost or ice warnings that morning. It was in the 40's all last week except for one dip in the upper 30's in the morning and I rode with just a light, lined jacket. 25 miles all at 65 mph roads except for the 3 miles from my house to the Hwy.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Pretty good stuff huh? even when we ride in the summer we hang out a lot around the continental divide and more than once have had to scrape ice off of my seat in the morning before riding. I just put on my jacket liner and plug my gloves into the jacket and I am totally warm. Even my legs, feet and face are warmer because my core is warm. After riding for 37 years and trying every thing there is including snowmobile suits, nothing else ever came close to making me as comfortable. After the first year, I was a little pissed that it took me so long to get some heated clothing.

independent_lemming said:
Washingtonwarrior said:
Buy heated clothing and ride very comfortably even in temps under freezing. I could not recommend the stuff more strongly. Take a look Gerbings
I bought some Gerbings last year and left out with temps in the 20's. Started sweating 10 miles later, you dont have to turn those things up very much to be toasty. We regularly ride in the 30's here just have to watch for heavy frost or ice warnings that morning. It was in the 40's all last week except for one dip in the upper 30's in the morning and I rode with just a light, lined jacket. 25 miles all at 65 mph roads except for the 3 miles from my house to the Hwy.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
I'm glad this is just weather related that's not so bad!

Yes I agree the cost of 12v interconnecting gear seems high however it'll be off-set in the first few months of riding instead of driving - depending on what your cage is. Even if you can't afford the fun factor, its often a good investment. But where you are, considering you are riding home at 10pm, it won't be long before its okay to ride to work but will be icy on the way home.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A heated jacket and gloves would definetely help, but like I said before, the money isn't there. And I'm as deep in credit card debt as I want to go. Unless we get another warm spell, it looks like I'm done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the heated gloves out this morning, but it was still freezing cold. 35° air temp coupled with 70 mph for an hour ride = **** cold! My legs weren't layered up enough..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Scoper50 said:
A heated jacket and gloves would definetely help, but like I said before, the money isn't there. And I'm as deep in credit card debt as I want to go. Unless we get another warm spell, it looks like I'm done.

Dude...bundle up. Put on the long johns and your winter coat...its not that bad. I ride from St Michael to Arden Hills when its 40. All I have is full face helmet, jeans, leather jacket, and leather gloves. I am a little chilly its tolerable. Don't give up on it just yet. I ride till the snow sticks or they put gravel down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts