RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow is it turning out to bea bad day for the warrior. It has been about 20 below zero here recently and today, for no apparent reason I took my seat off and pulled the dipstick out to find ice crystals all over the dang thing!! Obviously before spring it will get flushed with some good oil, but do you people think I should take it to my friends heated shop and start flushing and refilling immediately?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I knew I shouldn't have rode my bike when it was so cold! Either that or it is because they are in a non heated shop, that got heated for a day when I was working on my sled! Either way, I don't think it can be good!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My dip stick usually has ice crystals on it after a half day of skiing. Few minutes in front of the fireplace clears it right up!

But seriously, I live in Montreal, Canada, and have ridden in below freezing temperature with no adverse affect to the bike, and no ice crystals on the bike's dipstick.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so its going into a local garage thats heated where it can thaw out really good. After its sits for a few days I will, run it for a really long time and try to get it to evaporate, then I will flush it and change it. I am alittle concerned, but its probably the nature of the beast when its 30 below 0 out. I quess as long as the moisture is frozen, it prob isn't really going to hurt anything!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. What your seeing is condensation from a temperature change. If the bike is just sitting in storage it definetely won't hurt anything. Check the dipstick in your car during the winter after a short trip. You'll find condensation that will ultimately freeze. I think your freaking out about nothing. Another thing. Water is a lubricant. I wouldn't run an engine with water in place of oil, but a few drops of condensation is trivial.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Scoper50 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. What your seeing is condensation from a temperature change. If the bike is just sitting in storage it definetely won't hurt anything. Check the dipstick in your car during the winter after a short trip. You'll find condensation that will ultimately freeze. I think your freaking out about nothing. Another thing. Water is a lubricant. I wouldn't run an engine with water in place of oil, but a few drops of condensation is trivial.

+1

When ever you have a warmer day, take the bike for a good long run. It will burn offwhat little moisture you have in the oil tank.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
davidd said:
Wow is it turning out to bea bad day for the warrior. It has been about 20 below zero here recently and today, for no apparent reason I took my seat off and pulled the dipstick out to find ice crystals all over the dang thing!! Obviously before spring it will get flushed with some good oil, but do you people think I should take it to my friends heated shop and start flushing and refilling immediately?

I'd wait til spring and give it a good oil change but I am not a master mechanic. maybe some of the real pro's on the site will chime in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts