RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Ifranview to resize my pics to post them in the forum. Now every time I take a picture and resize it and save it in my documents, when I choose the new resized picture and try to attach it to my post I get the error message that the file size is to large. The picture is definatley resized in my computer. If I click on the image to get the properties it say's 640x427 pixles. Anybody useing this program or can help me out I would appreciate it. I'm running windows 98 software. I will e-mail you the pic I'm trying to resize. I'm about to throw this computer out the window.[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!]

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I use irfanview to resize my pictures. After you resize the picture, how many bytes is it? I mean if you right click on the filename and click "properties" then it'll tell you how many bytes it is. You may need to size it down just a little bit more to get it small enough. I wonder what the max file size is that you can attach to a post.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Oh... it tells you the max size when you try to attach a picture. It says: The maximum allowed file size is: 97.66 KB

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
What Shaq said.

After you resize it click on file in the title bar then select save as. I normally give it the same name as the original & add the letter R so I know its been resized to fit the forum.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Infraview has the option to save the file 0-100%. Usually when you save it at 100%, it will save a 640x480 pictures much higher than 97k. Try adjusting the percent and than right click the picture in your documents and check the size in properties.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Ditto to vector, I usually use 70-75% when the pic is resized down to 640x480. That puts the file size around 65Kb.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I reset the picture size to 50% of the original and in the properties it said 512x342 so I saved it and tried to post it and it said the file was 174 bytes so I did 25% of the original size and it said 256x17 I will try and post that. Could it be that the image is in such a high resolution that you have to make it this small?ok so it worked it said my new file size is 43.98Kb .Thanks for the help Guy's. I need a drink.

Insert Image:

43.98KBquote:Originally posted by vector18

Infraview has the option to save the file 0-100%. Usually when you save it at 100%, it will save a 640x480 pictures much higher than 97k. Try adjusting the percent and than right click the picture in your documents and check the size in properties.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so now I will try 39% of the original. Is there any way to make the picture bigger and take away some resolution?

Insert Image:

95.16KB Thanks again!quote:Originally posted by xharleyrdr

Ok I reset the picture size to 50% of the original and in the properties it said 512x342 so I saved it and tried to post it and it said the file was 174 bytes so I did 25% of the original size and it said 256x17 I will try and post that. Could it be that the image is in such a high resolution that you have to make it this small?ok so it worked it said my new file size is 43.98Kb .Thanks for the help Guy's. I need a drink.

Insert Image:

43.98 KBquote:Originally posted by vector18

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
xharley, before you save with a cetain percent, you need to resize the image first. Go on the top where it says image and scroll down to resize/resample and than make the image 640x480. Than after that save as and try 100% first to see what kb's the image is. If it's bigger than 97kb, than try 90% and so on. Good luck buddy!

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
The percentage Vector is talking about is after you hit save or save as. Just to the right of the save box is another box with jpeg/gif options. One of those options is save quality. It is a slide bar, you have to adjust. I leave mine set at 55%. That doesn't mean the pic will be 55% smaller, it's the image quality it reduces, not size. 55% doesn't make much if any difference when just viewing on the web. If you were saving something for a hard copy print, then you would want 100%.

At a save quality of 55% I can post a pic of up to 600 pixels wide without getting hitting the upload size limit.

This image is 600 pixels wide and is only 88k in size.

Insert Image:

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vector18

Sang, that picture is too funny! I need to find some photoshop skills somewhere! LOL!

In about 8 years of fooling around with it, I've managed to teach myself about half there is. I find and am shown new stuff all the time, that I never knew was there.

But Ifranview is a great program for simple quick edits, I use it all the time.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sangathor

yes. All you do is draw a box and click on edit/crop selection or just ctrl y

Excelent, I've just downloaded it and like the look already. Many thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts