RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 04 warrior has ben miss fireing so i proceded to remove the spark plug boots to check the plugs and to my dismay the ignition wire on the rear cylender has completely roten off the screw terminal leaving nothing but a white powder as the conductor
this gives me a good excuse to replace the coils with some thing a little more substantial like the dynatech ones but heres the thing i relocated the coils under the tank so checking the primary resistance is going to be a pain in the but[:'(] does any one know what the coil resistance should be for my bike so i wont have to leave my baby in pieces til the new coils arive and could i use regular automotive wires with these coils

·
Administrator
29,683 Posts
And Part 2:

Coils - Dynatek: Part Number DC2-1, Primary Resistance 1.5 Ohms.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/harley_davidson/coils/ (Click on BUY PRODUCT tab)

40,000 volts and a perfect fit except if your coils that you mounted under the tank are on a plate (like the Akitadog) then you'll need to open-up the mount holes a bit. There's press on this plus you can look in the Popular Mods post under COILS for good posts to describe the work so you can be fluid with your choies. Its a tight fit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks bro I'm going to the motorcycle convention in Manhattan this Friday and now that i know what coils to get maybe there will be a vendor there with a good deal

·
Administrator
29,683 Posts
Do some on-line shopping many of us get them cheapest from MSSS our site sponsor.

Click on the MotorSportsSuperStore icon top-right of your screen, or better yet post here:http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/119758/999730.aspx#999730and ask the boys how much right now. Then take that price into the show with you. I'd just about bet that nobody beats it!

Check out Magnecor 8mm plug wires to go with these.

Also check out the Popular Mods post in the Technical forum, look under COILS.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
i thought that the coils require 12 volts on the power side those are 6 volt coils
I know this is an old post but DL's coil swap got me thinking. I think heavymetal is right. I see that people have been using the DC2-1 1.5 ohm coil but I do not see anybody say anything about installing a ballist. Should we be using the 3 ohm coils instead?

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
i thought that the coils require 12 volts on the power side those are 6 volt coils
  • The Dynatek DC2-1 (1.5 ohm) will handle 12vdc no problem (though listed @ 6v) per the Mfg'r tech support and is mid range per Yamaha specs (1.31 ~ 1.79 Ohms) and a perfect fit :)
I know this is an old post but DL's coil swap got me thinking. I think heavymetal is right. I see that people have been using the DC2-1 1.5 ohm coil but I do not see anybody say anything about installing a ballist. Should we be using the 3 ohm coils instead?
The Warrior TCI ignition system is very specific regarding the primary resistance in the factory manual (1.31 ~ 1.79 Ohms)

IMO ... regarding primary coil resistance ... the use of a lower resistance device could damage the ECU by current overloading and the use of a ballast (what type? inductive etc & why?) or a higher resistance device might prevent the coil from collapsing when requested .... just my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts