RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone remove the ignition switch/steering lock assy. from the upper triple clamp?It looks like their held on with solid steel rivets or are they tamper proof bolts?getting them ready for chrome or powdercoat and its got to come off.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Use a center punch and a hammer to knock them counter-clockwise until you can spin them loose by hand. Then find bolts with the same thread and length to replace them with. Many cars are done the same way and I've had to take a couple of them loose on cars- I'm assuming it works the same way.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
ya know, i looked all through the service manual & that subject just wasnt covered. i guess its a security thing but the spud is probebly right. sorry

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The bolts that they put the ignition in with have heads on them that shear off after they are torqued down. Usually it only takes a few hits with a punch and they'll come loose, unless they've put lock-tite on them!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used a center punch to give a starting point for my drill tip and took the head off in the same fashion you would remove a rivet head (moving the drill in a circular motion). Once the head is removed you can use a pair of vice grips to remove the theaded shaft. The bolts on mine had lots of LocTite so knocking them loose was not going to happen.
Andrew Preston
warrior4ap

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies,I called and talked to the service manager at the local Yamaha dealer and he basically told me the same thing,that the tightening head sheared off when it reached the proper torque and left behind the tamper proof head,he had lots of experience with them,said every theft recovery had to have the ignition changed.I just drilled the head off and removed the shank with visegrips.They came out real easy even though had a heavy coat of locktight applied to them,unlike the brake rotor bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts