RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of samson baffles of my ground pounders. So they came and the baffles OD is 1 3/4 and flares up to 2in. My pipes have a 1 3/4 ID. As far as i know the baffles just slide into the pipes. Well this aint happenin! Now the other option for baffle size from samson is 2in OD which would be way to big. I just dont understand.Anyone run into this problem?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sounds like they sent you the wrong baffles. I have a set of 10" baffles that I cut down to 4" and am very satisfied with the performance and sound. The 10" baffles were to quiet and choked the motor. They actually made the bike run worse than without. With our bike you need some back pressure for proper perfomance. Either it beaftermarket bike specific tuned exhaust or, like ours, which is basically a set of straight pipes which are WAY too loud when opened up and also under perform when the throttle is opened up. If you do like the sound of straight open pipes I would suggest Monster Baffles from Big City Thunder. Although I don't own a set, they are highly recommended by the guys who prefer open pipes. You'll find out real quick how much torque your Warrior really has. All I can say is - HOLD ON TIGHT!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My bike is an 07 and probably has the same sized pipes as yours. I never actually measured them but I'm sure nothing has changed in design since October 2007. If you do the Moster Baffle thing just tell them the ID and the kind of pipe and they'll hook you up. Although I've never had to contact Samson's Customer Service department I've heard their service leaves much to be desired. In other words, they suck! I bought my baffles from a guy that works at Houston Motorsports that has the same pipes but didn't like the performance of the baffles and sold them to me. I then cut them down a bit for performance and my taste in loudness. If you go with baffles, plan on cutting them down as well. I would start at 6" in length, then maybe 5" then 4-1/2" and on to 4" if necessary. I wouldn't go any lower than that and if I had to do it all over again I probably would have stopped at 4-1/2". Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
07 midnite (Mike) is correct but I think he means the Thunder Monster Baffles from Big City Thunder. They're a bit more expensive than other baffles but you get what you pay for. They give you that deep "open pipe" sound with the proper backpressure to insure the best performance.

Here's a link:

www.bigcitythunder.com/

If you call them, ask for Jim.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The Samson baffle sizes are mismarked on Phat's and at least two other sites that I saw when I bought mine and I couldn't get a straight answer on this same question either so I ordered what was supposed to fit and it didn't. I sent those back (one of the short baffles) and got the Samson 10" baffles in another diameter and they fit correctly (snug). The Dennis Kirk part number of the correct 10" model is H25-187 which is Samson number A-117 I believe. Try those and like Midnite says, if you're going this route you may want to cut them down by about half.

I got a great deal on some brand new BCT Monster baffles (less then half price) since then so I gave them a try and like them much better. I wouldn't say you get what you pay for because at first glance they are a super simple looking product but the results from what I'veexperienced and heard about make them worth the few extra coins. If you go this route you may want to do a search and read about problems some have had with them coming loose and possible solutions.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Rmh77 said:
I just ordered a set of samson baffles of my ground pounders. So they came and the baffles OD is 1 3/4 and flares up to 2in. My pipes have a 1 3/4 ID. As far as i know the baffles just slide into the pipes. Well this aint happenin! Now the other option for baffle size from samson is 2in OD which would be way to big. I just dont understand.Anyone run into this problem?
In my experience with fitting something too big into too small of an opening, usually just pushing a little harder will make it work.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Late last month I ordered at set of Samson Street sweepers and there were pieces missing from the box. After reading on this site how crappy the customer service is, I was not very excited to call them.

But I called them and talked to a guy named KC. He was very helpful and I was sent the correct parts immediately. Just call them, ask for KC and he'll take care of you. the number is 1-800-373-4217

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so i got the 10 in baffles,cut them in half then installed them. Now i have the allen screw at the end of the pipe cause in the tip not to slide on. I was going to notch the tip out to slide past the screw. How did you guys install your tips?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marco Polo said:
There is a notch or slot basically there already right? Justcut it a little widerfor the head of the screw.

Yea that pretty much what i was thinking. Did the clamp still work out ok?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Rmh77 said:
Ok so i got the 10 in baffles,cut them in half then installed them. Now i have the allen screw at the end of the pipe cause in the tip not to slide on. I was going to notch the tip out to slide past the screw. How did you guys install your tips?

Your tips should already be notched. They should just slide on straddling the screw. Make sure that you put theexhaust tip clamps a certain way for easy removal if you need to. I positioned the the allen head of the tip clamp UP on the top pipe and DOWN on the bottom. The first time I installed the tips I put both heads facing down. When it came time to loosen the top tip it was more of a chore.

By the way, did you install the baffles when they were 10" to see how they sounded? Mine were extremely quiet and I lost a ton of power. Also, if you don't like the sound or performance and want it a tiny bit louder cut off another 1/2" but don't get any shorter that 4". Mine are 4" and sound perfect for me but I know if I go lower I'll rob the motor of back pressure and may lose some torque.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you are saying that the baffles are going inside the pipes, they should go into the end sleeves, which elbow down , I have the same pipes, you have to drill a hole to secure the baffle into the cone. and trim or shorten to slide the end cone on. I hop this works, but according to Sampsons baffles are no to be used

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
whitefeather said:
but according to Sampsons baffles are no to be used

I've heard this before and it's funny because Samson (not Sampson) makes the baffles he has and my exhaust came predrilled to mount them. And yes, the clamps still work fine. Make sure you get them good and tight though because you can easily scrape that bottom tip and tug it out a little if you don't have it on well enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts