RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of model year . . .

This is what can happen if the recall is not performed on a 2002 Warrior upper fuel tank. Its why many of us hesitate to buy a used 2002 main tank. Its invisible damage until filled.

I do not know how long this YouTube will remain accessible and I do not know if the poster is a member here: https://youtu.be/6sOvpDem6Fk

The Yamaha recall solution was/is to use washers as spacers so tightening the rear of the tank does not transmit lever or pulling pressure against one or more of the under-plate's four welds (one in each corner) because that pressure was found to tear a hole in the tank under that plate over time.

Newer models came with these spacers (see recall document in this section plus the Yamaha parts views on dealer websites) but if they are not installed in the correct sequence then this conceivably can happen to any model year tank.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
AZ,

I had two (2) tanks doing this to me. :eek:
My symptoms or causes where that the tank did not rest on the frame but was pulled down by the bracket. The 'vibration' of our engine will cause the pit weld to pull through. My solution is to drill out the welds, weld a solid plate underneath it and then re-weld the mounting plate. Finish the first plate with a solder edge. Finish with a internal covering like red-kote or similar.

My 2c

Dutch :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts