RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that as a member of this forum, I am obligated to share with you the conversation that I had today with the supervisor of Yamaha Customer Service.
My call was prompted by my conversation with Harley Jones who told me of a "good will warranty" that was extended to him by CS a day earlier. This consisted of an extension tacked on to the 90 days by the length of time between the time that parts were ordered until the work was completed. Sounds good doesn't it? Well my call got to the bottom of what was promised.
First I was told that everyone is being delt with on a case by case basis and that they wouldn't discuss any deals made with other customers. Without denying that this offer was made, I was told that people tend to hear what they want to hear.
To the meat of the conversation. Remember that this was the supervisor that I spoke with. I was assured that there is a 90 day warranty on the parts but there is NO labor warranty attached to this recall. In other words, we are at the mercy of what the dealer wants to give us. The dealers, according to CS, don't have to give any warranty if they don't feel comfortable with the risk. So what Harley Jones was told the day before is true in the respect that the clip and only the clip will get the "good will warranty" extension.
After my conversation ended with Yamaha CS, I went to speak with Harley to give him the bad news. He immediatly called his dealer who ordered his parts the day before, and asked what labor warranty he would recieve. The answer was NONE.
I know that many of us are sick of all of this, present company included, but it is blatently obvious that we need to get together. Either we do this or cut the best deal you can. It was made more than obvious to me in my conversation with CS that those of you that think Yamaha is stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing are the ones who will get shafted the most. There is only one possible reason that Yamaha wants to deal with us individually. They are counting on the fact that the vast majority of us will not call which is in their best interest.
To all of you that felt Yamaha is doing the right thing, how do you feel now? Is this truely stepping up to the plate and doing right by their customers? Is it time to respond to their inaction? Are we tired of hearing a different story from each customer service rep? How do you feel about the misleading "good will warranty" promises? If these people expect us to bend over, one would think that they could at least provide the lube.

·
Registered
639 Posts
"Knowing the enemy and knowing ourselves, one can fight a hundred battles with no danger of defeat; while knowing only ourselves but not your enemy will guarantee only half a chance of winning the battle; and knowing neither ourselves nor the enemy well; will definitely lose all the battles!" - Sun Tsu, "The Art of War"

Right now, we as a group do not "know ourselves." Some of us are happy, some placated, some disappointed, and some mad. We also do not know our "enemy." Yamaha is telling different things to different people.

Yamaha International Corporation seems to be following the strategy of "divide and conquer." It seems to be working quite well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
So for those of us that don't have the time to call or don't need the stress of being jerked off by someone on the other end of the line, what is a good adress and person to write ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey Yamatized, who did you speak with? Did you get a name? Can we all call that same person, or should we just call? Was it someone in charge?

·
Registered
372 Posts
[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!] If you guys want to get this thing going count me in. My baby only has 600 miles on her and I'm not happy with the way they are taking care of (us) their customers. A large number of people if we can get together from this site can get some attention. If you feel your getting the shaft, then enough is enough lets get together and go after Yamaha, there comes a time to not back up any more and fight back!!!!!!!!!!! I am good at playing with the big boys, if you want to fight drop me a e-mail. I am going on vacation for a week but when I get back I will get in touch with everyone.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a service department that will fight tooth and nail for MY best interest and they have already proven that. I've spent enough time and money there and they really appreciate it and I know they don't want to lose that on something they really can't control (Yamaha corporate policy). I'm fairly laid back about whatever delays or unforseen circumstances come up when my bike is in the shop and they appreciate that. Now as far as what Yamaha Corporation plans on doing, I have no idea. If I do not like the results and they are not willing to make me [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif], I'll simply ride out to California and start putting foot to ass and work my way up the chain until someone does understand. Phone calls and emails are simply a nuiscance to corporation. Actions speak louder than words[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] All I want is my bike to be fixed with the correct parts in a timely manner at no cost to me since it is not my fault the produced or purchased and installed an inferior subcontracted part. Some of my riding buds have had their Road Stars handled already without any problems. I can't see why the Warriors would be any different. Just my views on this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Count me in!!! I WILL be on the phone tomorrow with yamaha to discuss this matter further. Maybe if a enough of us call there will be some more action. I feel that labor should be warrantied, but I guess Yamaha doesn't trust some of the mechanics to get the job done properly, i don't know. They are a huge corporation and they are going to try to get away with all they can.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope that we all can find a dealer that will back up their work but Yamaha Corporate will not compensate the dealers if we do have problems. The dealer will have to suck it up. Not many will be willing to do that. First Yamaha wants to pay for less time than it will take to do the work then they won't stand behind their own dealers. Customer Servise needs to be overwelmed with calls and letters demanding much more than we are getting. Like I said, either we get together on this or cut the best deal you can. I for one think we can force a better resolution than the one that has been forced down our throats.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
rippin, what shop do you deal with? I've had pretty good luck with Houston Yamaha North, but I really don't care for the service manager. I get along pretty well with the rest of them.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Maybe instead of going to Stardays, people should ride to their headquarters in Cypress, Ca. and take over the parking lot.
Jody, maybe have "Garage Day" in their parking lot.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
98 Posts
357warrior I live in NY but I would come out for that. Do a couple of nice burn outs in their lobby. So you think that would get their attention?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke to CarKnee about this before posting and he may be setting up a way for us, through this forum, to each send a letter to Yamaha customer service. I hope he is sucessful. In the mean time, doe's anyone have any good, sound suggestions on other ways that we can collectively force Yamaha to take notice that we won't stand for this?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dealing with Yamaha is like dealing behind a closed curtain. Perhaps we should all be writing V-Twin Magazine, Metric Road Bike, etc.. and let a little public light on the subject. If bashing in a private forum doesn't work, then maybe a little bashing in a nationally syndicated magazine might force the issue by using "bad publicity".

What do you think?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Calling will do no good! The process has to go after the big boys here in the US CEO, CFO, COO. You can call until the cows come home all you are going to get is someone that has nothing to do with nothing! If you want to capture the King you don't go after the guard at the gate of the castle.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 357WARRIOR

Maybe instead of going to Stardays, people should ride to their headquarters in Cypress, Ca. and take over the parking lot.
....[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

That's actually a very good idea as long as you do it peacefully. Let the magazines, newspapers, and radio stations know what you're doing so you can get coverage. If someone has the $$$ to ship me n my bike down from Alaska I'd be glad to join you!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Trust me, if we can get enough people together to push this thing to the Attorney Generals office I don't think as a CEO I would want my name as a co-defendant along with my COO, and CFO on the paper work of a formal complait. Now if we can talk fraud, now we have some big hammers to work with.[^]

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am wondering why Yamaha dealers are not getting together to voice disatisfaction about the position they are being put in. If I was a dealer, I would not want to be having to catch a load of valid complaints from my customers, not to mention take a beating on labor hours.
Regarding a labor warranty, as I think about it, pretty much any service work done by the dealer is only backed up by the dealer, so in that respect a labor warranty on re-work is never really provided by corporate Yamaha. But the dealer can't rightly absolve themselves from standing behind their work.
I do believe that for the vast majority, there will be no problems after the service is done. But if we have to rely on a dealer's good graces for support, I think I'd rather do the service work myself. Too bad that is probably not an option.
Anyway, I support the power-in-numbers concept. And I agree that the potential for bad publicity may be the most powerful weapon we have against Yamaha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had the mod done yet or are they telling us the truth that the kits won't be released until the first of March? I haven't talked to my servicing dealer about labor warranties yet, but he has told me that he called Yamaha and voiced his concern about the not shipping kits to the East Coast and keeping the distribution mainly to the warmer states. We here in the DC area use our bikes to commute year round and riding means the difference between a 30 min and a 2 hour commute. I hope his concerns don't fall on deaf ears. Also, if we can't ride until we get the mod done, will they make my payments since they are denying me the use of my bike.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts