RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently started riding last year i bought a 1982 honda nighthawk 450 off my father in-law. this bike however not very sporty or stylish but runs and has allowed me to devlop basic riding skills. I would rather wreck then tear up a brand new bike. however now i am ready either this or next year to get a new bike. I saw the warrior at a local dealership and this is an awesome looking bike. I have looked at the v-rod and some other "comprable" bikes.I am still leaning towards the warrior. I am trying get some feed back on common problems and any helpful tips. Is there any big differences in a between belt, shaft and chain powered bikes.
I do not know alot about motorcyles but I love to ride so any information or comments would be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Hello there Rev.

Generally there is ALOT less maintenance with a belt driven bike, no oil or grease to worry about either as there is with chain & shaft drive. Obviously for this reason it's alot cleaner round the back end too (my back end is always nice and shiny [/emoticons/emotion-3.gif)]). I also find that there is less regular adjustment needed with belt drive as there seems to be alot less stretching than a chain. When they snap though they are expensive but I haven't had one go on me yet and I've had my Warrior for nearly 3 years.

Chain drives are better for performance though and you can get chain drive conversions for your Warrior if you intend to race (drag) it. Personally I couldn't be doing with all that yukky oil again.

Anyway, welcome once again and good luck with your hunt for a Warrior.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hi rever , just a bit of sound advice for you dude , forget the V NOB or any harley ferguson ,they fall to bits .Alot of my buddy's have got these old tractor's and have nothing but trouble with them. Old and new, basic or spec'ed up, the harley dealer's in the U.K. don't seem to have the faint'ist how to maintain or repair them . So from a guy that's been in the trade for 30 year's, stay clear,and look forward into the future and not into the past.Buy a Warrior and be the envy of any harley owner [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] .Just my opinion dude, but who the f^ck am i.[8D] ........Frec....U.K..

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Welcome reverendbj, in a nutshell: shaft drive is dependable, but robs some power and looks god, awful ugly, chain drive is strong but needs high maintenance (lubrication), and belt drive isn't as strong as chain, but it is easier to maintain and it's cleaner... it's not as problem free as shaft drive, but looks worlds better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also wondering if I look at used warriors..is there any particular year that had more problems then others. thanks

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Welcome aboard! I originally found mine and bought it off this site from one of the members. It's a 2002 and I'm hoping to be looking for a second one in the very near future. I don't recall reading anything really bad about any of the years. Good Luck.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you get an 02 or earlier, look for the tranny recall. If you can find one in good shape without the recall done, grab it. Then have high compression pistons installed (and other engine mods) at the same time and basically just pay for parts.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Keep in mind if you are willing to pay the extra 4-5k for a v-rod you could get a warrior and with 4-5k you didn't use you could into mods and make a warrior that will blow away v-rod in all aspects looks, performance, etc. my choice would be warrior all the way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts