RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day fellow Warriors. Sharing information on my new bar end mirrors.

I really want the Joker mirrors, but at $230 for a pair, they have to wait. Until then, I found this set of Motrax mirrors, on sale at Cycle Gear for only $29.99.

Now, I believe that you get what you pay for, so if these rattle off and fall onto the freeway within the next 6 months, I won't be surprised. But, at least I got try to them out for cheap, in order to decide if they're really for me. The Motrax don't look nearly as tight as the Joker, of course, but they look good enough for me, for now.

Rode to work with them yesterday, in city traffic. They work great.

Pros:

Zero vibration. My stock mirrors had a little vibration after I put the new Bomber bars on, but they were ok. These bar end mirrors are perfectly clear and steady. Zero vibration, at any speed (didn't go faster than 80) and any RPM (didn't get it over 4000). Although they are smaller than the stockers, the convex mirror allows me to see a lot more of what is behind me and beside me.

And of course, I think they give the Warrior a lower and sleeker look.

Installation was a breeze. Nothing clamps on to the outside of the grip or bar. A bolt with expansion thingies slide inside the end of the grip -- torque down the end bolt, and they're wedged inside the bar nice and tight. They feel very solid. Lots of room for adjustment. Once you get them close, clamp them down and they don't want to move. I don't believe these will move around with wind turbulence, but I don't have much experience with them yet.

With the stockers, half of the mirror was blocked by my shoulders and arms. These are out there far enough that the whole mirror is used for viewing stuff behind me.

Cons:

They are a little too convex, in my opinion. I can see 'everything' that is behind me. The downfall to that, is that everything appears considerably smaller in the mirror, making cars appear considerably further behind me. Perhaps just a matter of getting used to them, and learning how to view them. It's a change from the flat mirror in the stockers.

The sleek look also means that I have to look further down and to the side to see my mirrors. This means taking my eyes off the road in front of me just slightly more than with the stockers, which are mounted up on top of the bars. Again, perhaps just a matter of getting used to where they are, and how to use them. After getting used to them, I don't imagine it would be any different than glancing at the side view mirrors in a car.

Conclusion:

I like 'em. Check them out if you've been curious about bar end mirrors but don't want to unload a bunch of cash right now. Some pics of my super awesome Warrior... (click thumbnails for larger pics)

From Mirrors
From Mirrors
From Mirrors
From Mirrors
From Mirrors
From Mirrors
From Mirrors
From Mirrors

·
Registered
921 Posts
A great write up, especially your impressions of how well they performed. I happen to be looking for something like thesenow. Thanks for taking the time to inform us.

·
Registered
291 Posts
papawheelie said:
from the flat mirror in the stockers.

Some pics of my super awesome Warrior... (click thumbnails for larger pics)

From Mirrors

Heck of a crotch shot

Just kidding, great find and great write up, I'm going to order a pair. But let's be a little more careful with the camera angles next time....

·
Registered
692 Posts
bikebudha1 said:
papawheelie said:
from the flat mirror in the stockers.

Some pics of my super awesome Warrior... (click thumbnails for larger pics)

From Mirrors

Heck of a crotch shot

Just kidding, great find and great write up, I'm going to order a pair. But let's be a little more careful with the camera angles next time....

Most people are only concerned with bluring out their license plates in pics they post!

I just bought mirrors and ain't really that happy with them, and have been toying with the idea of barend mirrors, with the Joker machine ones being near the top of the list. Thinking I will give these a shot to see if I like the whole barend concept. Cool write up thanks for the info (about the mirrors, not your choice in shorts
)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bikebudha1 said:
Heck of a crotch shot
HA! Yeah, sorry 'bout that! I noticed that too after I loaded the pics to my computer, but then I said to myself... these are a bunch of mature gentlemen.. surely they won't focus on my crotch!!!! : ) kidding.... have a good day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just for information purposes. I have been using bar end mirrors on my SV650 for about 3 years and i love them. They are called third eye mirrors (they are made for bicycles). they are very durable and inexpensive. i just ordered a set for my warrior for $9.95 each. they also expand into the end of the bars with no external clamps. just offering up another option.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Order Placed...

Hey Papa....

Do you have a pic of the installprocess for these or is it a pretty simple install???

·
Registered
848 Posts
I used the CRG lanesplitters, internal mounts. they're made for 7/8 bars. So I put the in slightly larger poly tubing. anti vibe, perfect fit. I've been running them over a year.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BJINFIDEL said:
Order Placed...

Hey Papa....

Do you have a pic of the install process for these or is it a pretty simple install???
Well, no I did not take any installation pics. The product doesn't come with any instructions either (again, we get what we pay for). It's a pretty simple process though.

The only question mark, I think, will depend on different styles of grips. I have Kuryakyn ISO grips.

[*]I removed the four tiny allen bolts that hold the end cap on the grip, revealing a small-ish hole on the end of the grip.

[*]This hole was not large enough to insert the outer expansion thingy on the mirror, so took the grips off.

[*]With grips removed, I inserted the large expansion thingy inside the bar.

[*]Replaced the grips.

[*]Then the remaining smaller expansion thingy, and the mirror mount thingy itself, can slide inside the hole on the end of the grip, inside the large expansion thingy that is already inside the bar, and torque it down until it ain't moving any more.

[*]On the left side, I synched the mirror right up against the grip. On the right side, however, I was careful to leave a little extra space, so that the mounting hardware would not prevent free movement of the throttle.

[*]I left the end caps off the grips, of course. This leaves a bit of a rough look, as you can tell from the close-up pic (yes, the crotch shot), but the mirror mount covers most the exposed end of the grip.

[/list]
How do you like that for a technical write-up? I know -- lame.

Anyway, it's gonna depend on the grips that you have, likely requiring a little different approach in some cases.

I've been riding to/from work for a couple days with the new mirrors now, and have begun to get used to them -- where to look to find them, and how to read what's in them. I enjoy looking at the bike from a distance, without the big mirrors mounted atop the bars. Definitely gives it a sleeker look.

I'm happy for now, until I spring for the Joker mirrors.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This might be a dumb question but... What do you do with the holes in the clutch perch and master cylinder. Also, I liked your review because you made note of the fact that you might be taking your eye off the road a bit longer. Something I hadn't thought about.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rocketino said:
This might be a dumb question but... What do you do with the holes in the clutch perch and master cylinder. Also, I liked your review because you made note of the fact that you might be taking your eye off the road a bit longer. Something I hadn't thought about.
Not a dumb question. The holes where the stock mirrors used to thread into the clutch perch and master cylinder, are still there. I just removed the mirrors. I've been looking at those holes as I ride the past couple days, and have been thinking that I need to find something at the hardware store that I can screw into the threads to finish it off a bit, and keep dirt and water from collecting.

Already, I've gotten used to the new placement of the mirrors. Not an issue, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
papawheelie said:
BJINFIDEL said:
Order Placed...

Hey Papa....

Do you have a pic of the installprocess for these or is it a pretty simple install???
Well, no I did not take any installation pics. The product doesn't come with any instructions either (again, we get what we pay for). It's a pretty simple process though.

The only question mark, I think, will depend on different styles of grips. I have Kuryakyn ISO grips.

[*]I removed the four tiny allen bolts that hold the end cap on the grip, revealing a small-ish hole on the end of the grip.

[*]This hole was not large enough to insert the outer expansion thingy on the mirror, so took the grips off.

[*]With grips removed, I inserted the large expansion thingy inside the bar.

[*]Replaced the grips.

[*]Then the remaining smaller expansion thingy, and the mirror mount thingy itself, can slide inside the hole on the end of the grip, inside the large expansion thingy that is already inside the bar, and torque it down until it ain't moving any more.

[*]On the left side, I synched the mirror right up against the grip. On the right side, however, I was careful to leave a little extra space, so that the mounting hardware would not prevent free movement of the throttle.

[*]I left the end caps off the grips, of course. This leaves a bit of a rough look, as you can tell from the close-up pic (yes, the crotch shot), but the mirror mount covers most the exposed end of the grip.

[/list]

How do you like that for a technical write-up? I know -- lame.

Anyway, it's gonna depend on the grips that you have, likely requiring a little different approach in some cases.

I've been riding to/from work for a couple days with the new mirrors now, and have begun to get used to them -- where to look to find them, and how to read what's in them. I enjoy looking at the bike from a distance, without the big mirrors mounted atop the bars. Definitely gives it a sleeker look.

I'm happy for now, until I spring for the Joker mirrors.

Hmmmm, alright...I will have to do a little research.

I have stock grips and I dont know if the chrome ends just pop off or what.

If anyone can tell me about the stock grips, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Ahead of time.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Great write up, and another sale is made. lol.

Oh BJ, the stock end caps just twist off, no problem.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have the same mirrors on my ZR-7 and they work great.I have tossed around usung on the warrior but like the end spikes matching my pegs.Now having seeen them on I am thinking about it again.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Dice said:
Oh BJ, the stock end caps just twist off, no problem.

LIAR!!!! lol

Let me explain. Got the mirrors, got to work.

Started with throttle side, figuring get the hard one out of the way...

Twist, Twist Fight, Cuss, Twist.....snap.

The chrome cap came off, but with some of the throttle part inside. Not to big a deal. Put the mirror on, wasnt impressed with its holding power but so far, it has stayed pretty good. Doesnt look enitrely like ****. So far, I wasnt to excited but the hard part was over.

RIGHT SIDE...Twist, twist, making progress, Popped it out. Nice and clean.

Drilled out the Chrome cap, painted it black, slapped it back on.

Mirror in, tightened up. SWEET!

Wish the other side looked as clean!

FINISHED

In summary, lol, they are easy to put on. So far they are holding tight. If anything the right side will fall of while I am riding, the left isnt going to budge. I went for a spin around the block and nothing moved, very stabil.

I wish the throttle side hadnt busted, but I dont think i could have prevented it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So yeah,

went out for a 30 mile ride today. These mirrors

FRIGGIN ROCK!!!!

Can see for miles behind me, no problem with hands or arms in the way. No problems with wind moving the mirrors. Just an all out good install of a great set of mirrors.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. Been riding with them for a couple weeks now without a single problem. Once I got accustomed to the new location, I feel like I can see more now, than ever. I'm just gonna keep 'em for awhile, and then maybe spring for the higher quality Joker mirrors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts