RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new belt on.

First thing I did was to do as much as possible with the bike sitting on the ground.

1.Remove Exhaust

2. Remove Brake caliper. Just unbolt the caliper from its bracket. Dont remove the brake hose. Then sit everything on the side of the swingarm out of the way

3. Remove the pulley cover and then the bracket that is then visible under the cover. This bracket has to allen bolts into the frame and 2 bolts into the transfer case. (sorry I dont have good pics of this part I will see if I can come up with something later) Also remove the belt gaurds.

4. Then I removed the rear axle nut and the swing arm axle nut then you have to raise up the rear tire.

5. now slide the rear axle out and remove the rear tire and set it aside.

6. Now remove the swingarm axle.(again no good photo of this)

7. Now with the swingarm axle removed you can just push down on the back of the swingarm and it should just rotate out. You can leave all the nuts and bolts on that go to the shock!!!!!! Just becareful when you do this not to pinch the brake hose.

8. Slide the new belt in and then rotate the swingarm back up into position. Again remember to watch for pinching the brake hose. slide the swingarm axle back into place and tighten down snug

9. Re-install the rear tire

10. Tighten the nut for the rear axle. Then I sit the bike down off the stand. If you havent noticed I dont like working on the bike in the air I dont have a good stand and in this case I was not in my own garage with the bike secured how I would have liked.

11. Re install the pulley bracket and cover. Then go through and torque everything down that you have re-installed to this point.

12. Re-install brake caliper and torque down

13. Re-install exhaust

14. Lastely have fun.

I didnt go over adjusting the belt for proper tension or ailingment. Those have to be done also. i found on mine that the new belt was the same as the old so I didnt need to adjust anything for ailignment or belt tension.

·
Banned
569 Posts
The winner for the Warrior ridden through the toughest weather conditions and most challenging roads known to man is - envelope please - milkman672042000.

Я несу часть России гордо на свой велосипед там, где я брожу

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank god you didn't clean the bike up. That would have ruined the whole ambiance of working in substandard conditions ;)

Did you remove the exhaust so you could get to the swing arm nut? Cuz if so, that may not be required with some types of exhaust.

I removed the exhaust because that it the direction the swingarm axle pulls out and the exhaust was in the way. I dont know if I can turn the swingarm axle around in insert it the other diresction but I think no. The end of the axle is shaped like the end of the tire axle, a sircle with 2 clat sides if that makes since, and there is a slot in the frame that it fits into so the axle cant rotate.

That bike and I have been through about 25,000 miles of roads most cant imagine lol. Dirt, paved, under construction, fields, mud, really everything the bike wasnt designed for lol.

I didnt even think about cleaning the bike next time I ride in the rain it will a good washing. ;) Seriously though I tried keeping it clean but its futile so I just ride the **** out of it then come winter, which is like 6 months long here, I put it in my living room and take it apart clean and mod!

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can change the axle around. The flat sides that you are talking about rest against the adjuster block not the swing arm. Just put that adjuster block on the other side.
I already changed the rear axle around. I dont think you can change the axle that the swingarm pivots on around through. I will have to look. In the 4th picture down I am loosening the nut on the swingarm axle.

The bike in the back ground is a Voskhod 2, Восход 2 in Russian I believe.... It was made in the mid 70's I think. Voskhod means sunrise in Russian. They were 175cc bikes 2 stroke I believe. That is one of the Russian bikes I dont know much about to be honest about it. For some reason they have never caught my fancy. I think some where imported to the UK at some point or another under a different name though

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Nice write up milkman - Thanks.
I'm a little lost......
Do we need to put on the woolly hat before loosening the swingarm pivot or after?

:)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
excellent write-up with pics. there's lots of info on this "simple" procedure but the pics really help. great job. you guys in russia really do put these bikes through the mill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts