RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned a ton from this board already, and wanted to make a small contribution. Whenever I get a new bike, I always try to do a few things to make it a little more noticable, especially from the rear.On mylast bike I installed an auxiliary LED brakelight in a plate frame (also made by Signal Dynamics), but that didn't seem to fit well with the Yamaha fender eliminator kit (also installed today). I figured the stock LEDs in the tail light are bright enough, so I decided to use a brake modulator instead to attract the attention of the driver behind me who may be putting on makeup, talking on the phone, eating breakfast, etc. I decided to use the Backoff XP, as it is meant for both LEDs and standard incandescent lighting. It was pretty cheap at $37 from Phat Performance Parts. Before I begin, I must give props to my friend Mike for helping me install these mods in his garage and his wife, for giving us the time to do so;).

The instructions are pretty straight forward so I'll keep this brief. Basically you have two options:

1. 3 short flashes followed by a long flash of 3.5 sec, then looping.

2. 5 short flashes followed by solid brake light as long as the brake is applied.

I chose to go with the second method. First, you take off the seat and unhookthe ECU strap, then pivot the ECU up and out of the way. Follow the harness from the tail light into the spot under the ECU. You'll notice it is the solid yellow wire, and it connects to the yellow wire with gold dot. Because it was easier to do wire management, we spliced into the yellow w/gold dot wire. The Backoff XP module sits inline with this wire. As you can see in the picture below, the feed from the brake switch goes to the solid red wire, and the red wire w/white stripe goes to the yellow wire w/gold dot before it enters the connector. We extended the black ground wire on the left and connected it to the ground near the oil filler cap. All connections were soldered and then shrink tubed. We cut off the extra wires on the Backoff XP unit and electrical taped them, as I'll never use them.

Then, we carefully tucked all the wires back in place and strapped in the ECU. I used the provided double sided tape to stick the Backoff XP on the ECU in the indented area - it fit perfectly.

Finally, did a little wire management and tucked the PCIII back into place. I am pretty happy with the results, I'll have to geta video of the unit in action.

While we were at it, we installed a new battery (Yuasa YT14B-BS) which was expensive but a perfect factory match, the Yamaha FE kit, and a Hellcat windshield. Also prewired the new expensive battery with Battery Tender leads so it will last a long time. I'll have to get pics of these soon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, as soon as I can make one. The bike is currently at my friend's house because the seller that I bought the bike from was a few miles away from his house and it was too cold to ride it all the way home. Unfortunately, it's about 45 mins away from me. Warm weather get here soon!

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
off the post but i understand the cold - road the scooter to work yesterday morning upper 40 - lower thirties when i went home froze my ears off and now today wwe get 6" of snow what the frak???

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for sharing this mod with us. I usually will flash my brakes by squeezing and realeasing but this mod would be a lot nicer to do. If you can get a video loaded that would be great.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was behind a BMW with a simular taillight effect. I have to say, it did catch mt attention. Thanks for the write up. Knowing the cost and the simplicity of the install, makes me think I may need to give it some serious consideration.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks for the review Bryman. I feel like I am always watching my mirrors when I'm at a stop light, or coming to one. People love to rear end each other at intersections -- it's happened to me a couple times, luckily never while on the bike, where people bump right into the back of me at stop lights for no apparent reason!!!!

I've considered adding one of these flashers to my brake light. I'll check out this one.

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys,

I went back over to my friend's house today to install the AIS eliminator, and took a vid of the Backoff XP in action for you. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lBhtHj-lKs

While I was at it, I took another short vid of our bikes idling before we went for a short ride. Hey, it was only25 degrees F!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ktIUJN_jzI

Sorry for the poor quality, it was just a point and shoot digital camera in movie mode.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. My first ride on her was a few miles today. Absolutely love it. I think I almost ripped my arms out of my sockets and slid off the back of the seat when I hit it in second gear! Awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts