RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting my new jug huggers on tomorrow. Does anyone have the torque specs for the pipes at the head and at the brackets? What color loc-tite should i use and shoud it be used at the jugs? recommend any ultra copper or siliconeat the jug? Thanks, and please feel free to add any advice-the instructions from bubs are a F'n joke! No torque specs etc. just the obvious is mentioned. I even called and complained to bubs about their instructions and they agreed with me that they suck!!

I will hopefully be able to tell you how they sound by late afternoon!!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
snug them up till they are secure, wiggle em a little then snug them up some more after that fire it up and check for leaks ,if alls good your done if not snug them some more. post some pics when you get them on

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
There's one little tidbit of info no one ever mentions. When you mount the pipes, mounth them loosely. Then snug a little at each bolt moving around until all is tight. If you end up snugging one up then another you create stress points in the pipes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
exactly what pep said cuz otherwise it wont go on evenly and its almost like putting them on crooked. Good luck and post pics when done so we can see it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
davidd said:
...Does anyone have the torque specs for the pipes at the head and at the brackets? ...

The service manual calls for 14ft.lb of torque for the front exhaust nut and 17 ft.lb for rear exhaust bolts. The install for the Yamaha S* calls for 11 ft,.lb at the cylinder heads and 15~18 ft.lb at the muffler /collector joint clamp. My personal recommendation is to get brand new oem gaskets and install with the lowest recommended torqe setting (11 ft.lb). Then after install fire the bike up and check for leaks by sticking a thick towel on the outlets for a moment at check for leaks at the heads......go for a ride and then recheck the torque...I've had my S* with a 11 ft.lb setting for over 3 years and no leaks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I installed my street sweepers using the torque specs from the service manual. 14ft lbs on the front pipe, and 17ft lbs on the rear pipe. But I did it in steps. It might seem anal, but I started with 5ft pounds on each nut/bolt, and worked my way up to the torque specs 2 foot pounds ata time. I have no leaks and I don't think the torque could be any more even doing it this way.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just alittle update, pipes went on pretty easily and don't appear to be leaking. They look and sound great! I am very pleased and can't wait till my pcIII shows up on friday. Will post pics soon. My bike is finally getting some mods-pipes, pc, bars, grips, yami fllorboards, license plate area clean up, etc. will post pics after i can get the bike out of the garage and warm it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts