RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so pardon me if this has been asked already. I recently purchased a 2004 warrior that had been sitting for 5 years. When I drug it home, I threw a battery in it and it started once. I didn't let it run very long as I hadn't had time to tear it down, but wanted to assure it started. It did. Well, a few months later (now) I removed the tank and the mice had really done a number on the filters, etc. Even had chewed up some wiring on the main ecm harness. I used starbrite liquid electrical tape, sealed the wiring, ditched the air box, did a bvac upgrade, put new plugs in it, fresh fuel....
It wouldn't start. So I pulled the tank and put some fuel directly into the throttle bodies and she fired right up. But immediately after, I lost tachometer and fuel pump power.
All fuses are checked. I was able to (twice now) tap on the fuse block with the ecu fuse in it and regained power to the tach and pump. Are these both driven thru the fuel pump relay? I know I need to clean all grounds and connectors yet (as well as still put fresh oil in the old girl), but curios if this sounds like a common problem? it does have a power commander 3 (usb) on it, and it powers up with ignition on, as well as the "Neutral" light on the speedometer. The tach is just dead, no fuel pump power, and she doesn't crank now. Battery is fully charged and I even keep a mainainer on it.
Thanks!!

Nate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. After removing all the sensor and relay harnesses and cleaning with crc QD electric cleaner, and putting all new fuses in it(needed done anyway and cost $10).
There was one wire dangling. I didn't think much of it, as the connector appeared to have not been plugged in for a while. Well.. decided to post a pic and ask on a fb group and it's the terminal ground wire for the ecu!! Lol. Whoever added the pc3 used the ecu ground and left ecu ungrounded. Made a few new cables at work, added additional grounds while I was at it and she fires and purrs (and pops lol).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Good result ! Isn’t it great when you fix something so simply.

I’m not 100% sure but I’m wondering if it’s the wire that some owners cut to earth out to change the Air Fuel ratio via the bikes inbuilt computer. Wire #29? from memory but don’t trust this memory to much ...anyhow ... you got it sorted give your self a pat on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good result ! Isn’t it great when you fix something so simply.

I’m not 100% sure but I’m wondering if it’s the wire that some owners cut to earth out to change the Air Fuel ratio via the bikes inbuilt computer. Wire #29? from memory but don’t trust this memory to much ...anyhow ... you got it sorted give your self a pat on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I dont think it was. It was actually 2 wires that I believe originally connected into the factory negative cable through a spade connector. They were split off the main ecu harness 3-4" down the loom. Either way, yep! Great to find a simple answer and I'm SO excited about this bike. now that the mouse haven has been removed anyway lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Glad you got her going, but you may want to verify your grounds and wiring. In your first pic it looks like there is nothing in the factory ground location.

Unless I'm looking at this wrong, the place I circled in red is where the factory ground connects. Both the factory 12v ground and the PC3 are normally grounded there. Also be aware that the Warrior has 2 separate grounds. A 12v ground and a 5v ground. They are not the same and must be connected properly for the PC3 to work right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts