RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
This is a good read everybody. Congradulations to those guys. CC Laws are the best thing to happen here in years IMO. The only thing they should do is make standardized classes in each state that alows CC so guns could be carried by anyone with a liscense in any state that has CC laws. This stuff were you can carry it in this state but not this one is rediculous.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
CCW needs to be extended nationwide to all citizens. Its rediculous not to have it any other way. Im glad things worked out for the cops in the end. They should have never been charged in the first place. The only part that irks me is that comment about if the SH^T goes does we want the cops to come out ok. WTF? Whoever was getting beat on should have the right to defend themselves, not just the cops!!!! IMO a leo should have no more rights or priviledges off duty than anyone else.

·
Registered
761 Posts
National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4330
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-197

Friday, January 23, 2009 U.S. Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), recently introduced H.R. 197-- the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009"--a bill that would provide national recognition for valid state Right-to-Carry licensees.

The bill would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if the permit holder meets certain criteria. In states that issue permits, a state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal standard would apply. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) is expected to introduce the Senate companion bill in the near future. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121, and urge him or her to cosponsor and support H.R. 197

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'm as glad as anyone to see the "good guys" come out on top but when I read:

the article under Fallout said:
The Seattle officers were first placed on administrative leave, then reassigned to other duties. Smith went to communications and McCoy took accrued sick leave rather than accept reassignment. Those with Customs were suspended with pay for 30 days and “received a letter that threatened indefinite suspension without pay, with the possibility of termination,” Shane says. After the suspension, these officers were placed on unarmed light duty and forbidden to work overtime, significantly affecting their income. Every five days they “had to request an extension that could have been denied, creating tremendous anxiety,” Shane says. Everyone, of course, was subjected to I.A. investigations.

“I had numerous awards in my files, a very successful career,” Shane says. “Now it was in the media that we were in a ‘brawl’ in a ‘biker bar,’ indicted on ‘weapons charges.’ Neighbors stopped waving to me. People thought we were smuggling guns through the border. They said, ‘There must have been more that went on than what you said or you wouldn’t have been charged. You must not be telling the truth.’

“We had lawyer fees and trips back to South Dakota to pay for. We didn’t know what they might do to us back there. Would I lose my house? My job? Would I have to do jail time? One of the biggest Hells Angels chapters in the world is near here, in Vancouver. The HAs are one of the largest violent criminal organizations there is. Would they come down and retaliate? It all put tremendous strain on our families.”

“Psychologically,” says Van Norman, “nothing is harder for a law enforcement officer than being charged with violating criminal law. Plus, they got stripped bare during the criminal process. Home addresses, home phone numbers were floating around. Some of these officers have done very dangerous work. They were all very, very nervous about the general public knowing much about them.”

I wonder why they would put themselves in a position where this could happen regardless if they did anything wrong or not. Surely they are always aware of these potentialconsequences occurring if certain actions on their part ever take place being in that type of a job. Why would you know that and then still think going out of state, carrying a gun to where HA would be drinking in a bar that you know you're probably not supposed to carry in would be worth the potential risk? Sure, everything they did was perfectly within their rights and legal but they still paid a price obviously and it could have been completely avoided by making better judgement calls in my opinion. Once again, it seems to be another case of just because we have the right to do something doesn't always mean we should.

If I were a politician I wouldn't visit strip clubs, frequent shady bars, or legal brothels and controversial churches because of how it could be used against me to discredit and embarass me and ruin my career. School teacher, lawyer, doctor, whatever.... whether legal or not there are just certain actions that can put any carreer at risk of ruin even though it's not right. There's a potential risk of a freak occurrance happening to anyone anywhere that we shouldn't let stop us from living our lives but this was more then that. This wasn't one of those "I can't believe that happened" moments, anyone with a brain knows if you combine cops, HA, and alcohol enough times this is practically inevitable. I hope they had a good time but to me Sturgis isn't near worth going through what they had to endure in their lives and in my opinion I just don't see how they thought it was worth it. Opinionsvary obviously I'm sure so please don't bother to bash minejust becauseyou disagree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts