RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Considering buying a Warrior and I'm looking for some input from owners as to whether it is a good choice for me. Some background:

I've only owned one other bike - an '88 750 Ninja. I rode it almost daily for 3 years. But I haven't ridden much or owned a bike in almost 15 years.

I figure I'm too old (36) for another crotch rocket, and I'd like to start taking some longer rides. The thing that appeals to me about the Warrior is that it seems to be good middle-ground between sport bikes and cruisers.

My concerns: the Warrior weighs about 50% more than my Ninja. I'm 5'10 and in good shape, but I'm about 140 pounds soaking wet. I'm also concerned that having ridden a sport bike for so long, I may be disappointed with the way it handles.

What are your thoughts? For those who have ridden sport bikes in the past, how does the Warrior handle in comparison? And for the smaller/lighter riders on the list, do you feel like the Warrior is too big and heavy to comfortably handle?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dean H.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum. The warrior has tons of power and still handles great in the twisties even with the fat tire conversion. If you want more power, you can do some simple upgrades as well as some modifications to make the warrior fit your ride style.

And lastly 36 is not old [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Insert Image:

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tactics

Hi folks,
I figure I'm too old (36) for another crotch rocket

Hey! Bite your tongue! [:I]
(I'm 39 and recently bought a GSX-R 750 and am LOVING IT.)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome to the site Dean. I don't believe you'll be disappointed in any way with the Warrior. My nephew who rides his R1 like he stole it, always gets excited when I allow him to ride my bike when he asks. He always comes back with a big ole grin. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] He always tells me the bike has the potential to hang with his R1 up through 2nd gear and he's always impressed on how far he can lean on it. I'm glad I don't see how he's riding it. [:0][8D] He posted a thread on here once asking if somebody would like to trade their Warrior for his R1 + $3000 I think. I believe that no replies among 10,000+ members kind of shows the love everybody here has for their Warrior.

Also, I'd say the Warrior is about the only bike that can have true multiple personalities by the way it's designed. Light weight for a cruiser with massive torque and power. Easy for it to change from a daily commuter to long distance cruiser to drag bike to twistie eater to show bike. Sure there are a few bikes in this category, the VTX1800, the V-rod and the M109. These bikes all have massive power but they are nowhere as close to as nimble and as light as the Warrior.

Good luck with your search for a new bike. If a Warrior is your choice then I believe everybody here will tell you that you made the right choice. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
LOL!! Too old??? That's too funny!! As far as the Warrior being good for you, well, everyone
is different in their abilities and confidence. It may or may not be good for you, only you will
be able to tell. Your weight and height really do not come into play here. It doesn't take much
to get the Warrior to start moving, just alittle twist of the throttle, thats it! Anyway, I think
you should be fine since you've ridden before daily for 3 years.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
hey I'm 49 and riding a Warrior.Am I old?[:0] he he I myself can't say much about the sport bike thingy ,It's never was my thing to ride one. but I own a 2002 and I wouldn't give it up for anything else.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
The answer to your question is YES!![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Get the Warrior , youll love it.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
My son "was" a crotch rocket fan. He is 5'11" and 150lbs. After riding my Warrior off and on for the last year. He now owns his own. Dont think you will regret it if you buy one.
By the way, I think he is the youngest member at 17 and I dont know who the most senior is but most of us fall in the 30s,40s and 50s.
I hit 40 this year.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I would imagine being 5'10" you should be able to handle it just fine. It definitely feels heavy compared to a sport bike, but it really only feels that way when you're not moving. The only way to know for sure is to go and ride one.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I believe you will love the Warrior. If you haven't had a bike for a while, you may be surprised with how well it handles. It's got awesome torque that will have you smiling all day long.

If you are thinking that you may not want another crotch rocket, then this is what you should do: Make a list of other bikes you would consider and take them for a spin. Here's a list of sport/performance cruisers:

The Warrior
Suzuki M109R
Harley V-Rod family
VTX 1800F
Victory Hammer

These are generally the bikes that are in direct competition with the Warrior. These bikes might be better than the Warrior at doing some things, but the Warrior wins hands down with its entire package. I think you'll be very pleased with the Warrior, especially compared to other bikes in its class. That's just stock. When you factor in aftermarket, the Warrior outclasses everything else by far.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey, I can actually add something here. I'm 37, 5'10", about 185. I currently own an '05 Interceptor. I test-rode a Warrior last Sept. and I'm absolutely in the market for one now. I rode the bike for about 30 minutes. It handled VERY well. I never felt like it was too heavy or too much to handle. But, this is coming from a guy who doesn't push a bike that hard. Aftermarket looks really interesting. Road Star aftermarket catalog alone is almost 200 pages (but that covers all Road Star models). I've been watching this site for months on mods other owners are doing (wider rear-end, lowering, and, of course, different exhaust really make the Warrior look spectacular). This site alone is almost enough to get one. Seems like a great bunch of guys (and probably gals) who are more than happy to provide support to their fellow riders.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I started riding a GSXR600 and was the same as you, I had ridden the GSXR a lot and I was really surprised when I bought my Warrior. I say go for it and you want regret.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts