RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last month about how my bike season was over, but after reading everybodys posts telling me to tough it out, layer up, and keep riding, thats exactly what I did. I rode to work about a dozen more times wearing two pairs of pants, 4 shirts, and a jacket.

But here in Minnesota it's getting pretty cold. Yesterday was nice. 62 degrees and I took my last ride. Nothing special. In fact it was only about 15 miles round trip. Just rode around to a few different stores. This afternoon I removed the battery and put it on a battery tender. I wish I had a jack so I could get the wheels up off the ground, but it's just not in the budget right now. I was going to put the tires on some plywood just to get them off the concrete in the garage, but I only have one small piece. I'm going to have to find some more somewhere.

I also put Stabil in the gas tank, but like an idiot I put it in after I removed the battery, so I wasn't able to run it through the system. But I think it will be alright. I have a 5 gallon can of lawn mower gas that I let sit all winter every year, and I never put stabil in that, and it always makes it through the winter.

Right now I envy you guys that get to ride all year. This sucks especially because I just bought the bike in september. Why is it that summer always goes by so fast, and the winter just drags on forever?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
As the immortal Bill Clinton said, "I feel your pain!". Fortunately, I don't have to live the pain. Here's some advice, MOVE SOUTH!!!!!!!! I thought about moving north once then remembered that I wouldn't be able to ride as much. I couldn't live a "normal" life without being able to ride, my wife would end up killing me.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
I know what you mean, the difference between AZ and OR is extreme with respect to riding season. Your area gets much colder much longer but once the bike's been put away it takes awhile to prep it for the road so it stays in bed. It sucks.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i'd take the 5 or 10 minutes to put the battery back in the bike to run it long enough to circulate the fuel, you know you''ll sleep better at night knowing you've done this

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
it started to snow here in Chicago today. Nothing that stuck but cold enough to send the message for hibernation...I'm still in denial waiting for that nice weekend to take my final ride before her winter sleep...then is't stabil in the tank, run for a few minutes and up she goes on the motorcycle jack....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Scoper have you been to the MN/WI forum since you have been on here. There were about 6 of us out on Saturday and we had a **** of a ride. Several of us are thinking of getting together Thursday evening as it is supposed to be nice again, well nicer. In any case here is the link to the MN/WI forum.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/54970.aspx?PageIndex=42

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Scoper50 said:
Why is it that summer always goes by so fast, and the winter just drags on forever?

Those were my sentiments exactly when I lived up in IL for a few years. Which is why I moved to the good ole South! The summers here in TX drag on forever, and by the end, you're praying for winter. My non-riding seasonlasts less than3 months and I am a big wuss!!!I hate to brag, lol,butI don't even have to winterize my bike because I ride it during the winter from time to time on "warm" days. :) However, the down-side is we have a ton of days during the summer that I wish I hadn't taken my bike because I feel like I am being baked alive at every stop light! It's definitelya trade off I'm willing to bear though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well all I can say is, that sucks!!!!!!!!!! Arizona is getting to be real nice riding weather. In fact went out this weekend on the hayden winkelman loop. Absolutely gorgeous. Whats nice about here is in the summer ya ride north where its 15-20 degrees cooler than the valley floor, then in winter when its snowing up there ya stay south in the deserts and its b-e-a-utiful............

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hey Scoper50--get that thing back out of the garage!!!!!---its going to get into the low 60s on thursday here in central MN. I put the shadow, the vulcan, and both rd350s away today, got the sleds all fired up and ready to go, but the warrior is still sitting by the door just in case. Winter sucks, but its worth it because that first ride in the spring will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It also helps if you do what i do-go to Florida every jan or feb and rent a Roadstar. Drive it from Miami down through the keys wearing only shorts and a helmet(when its below 0 back home). Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
One of the greatt thngs about living in the south. I don't need a battery tender. Mine will not sit longer than two weeks without a ride.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Scoper, Home Depot has precut pieces of plywood that are really cheap. I heard you guys had snow yesterday, but like everyone else says, it's supposed to be a lot warmer by Thursday

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That's a shame... It's not over yet!!!

It was 25 degrees on my way to work this morning, but it got into the high 50's this afternoon. I got the bike out as soon as I got home, and rode til dark. Caught a glorious sunset as my hands froze off... it's totally worth it!!!

I'm one of the only bikes still out there everyday. It feels good to be the "noise" in my neighborhood.

You better run that monster one more time to circulate that Stabil. She'll be happier in the spring, when her injectors aren't all gummed up.

Anyway, I respect a man who can say, "Enough's enough." I'm just a 'last gasper' type of guy...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw the paper today, and it said a high of 62 on thursday. Unfortunately I'm working on thursday. And I work 2-10pm. I could probably ride to work, but it would just be too cold on the ride home. If we do get a nice weekend I'll consider putting the battery back in it. But I won't hold my breath. It'll be november in less than a week. I'm going to use the winter to work a bunch of overtime and build up some cash flow to buy some accessories. I already have the money for my street sweepers. But I need to make some money for the AIS blockoff kit, the rear brake reservior relocation kit, and the yamaha fender eliminator kit. I know I could make all that stuff myself, but I although I have the skill, I don't have the necessary tools at hand to fabricate such items. Well, let me correct myself. I have the tools, but they are all at work and generally my work frowns upon me using company time for personal projects. So I'm just going to save a bunch of time and buy the stuff. I'll probably start working on the bike early next year as long as it isn't too cold in the garage. I have a propane sunflower heater that does a really good job at taking the edge off, but I'm a little weary about using it in an enclosed space. Does anybody know if propane heaters expell carbon monoxide?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Man! I feel bad for you guys. I just got the chance to get my leather jacket out of the closet for the first time this year. It was 46 when I left for work. Thats cold for down here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am in Wyoming and hopefully it will be at least a month or more before i put the bike away for winter. As long as there is sunshine and no snow I bundle up and ride. I must say I do not get on the open road and take off, but around town I keep riding.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
mdfdwarrior said:
it started to snow here in Chicago today. Nothing that stuck but cold enough to send the message for hibernation...I'm still in denial waiting for that nice weekend to take my final ride before her winter sleep...then is't stabil in the tank, run for a few minutes and up she goes on the motorcycle jack....
Hey Thom, we had our first snowfall Saturday night...of course it didn't stick, but the salt trucks were out andthe roads bear their marks....I went out for a half hour ride yesterday, the daytime temp here was about -1 celsius, good thing I had the full -face on! Another couple of days and the season is done for me...other less steadfast individuals have put their Harleys away long ago! HAHAHAHAHAH!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts