RS Warrior Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
When I got the Ivan's ECU bump, they gave me 2 maps. 2-1 and 2-2. Mine backfired on decel before, had a flat spot at 1800 rpm., but no more. When I compared maps, Ivan's was leaner than I would have thought. I messed with many maps and richer-leaner setups, but after the reflash and map they provided, It is sweet.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah. I definitely should have reached out to Ivan this week. It would cross my mind while I was at work, then I would get pulled into something and would forget until late that night. Every day, it would repeat and I wasn't smart enough to just put it on my calendar. I called the dyno guy but not Ivan. (face palm)

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, due to my wife having back problems, I lost two days of tinkering and this morning was the ride so… I loaded the Dynojet stock bike map and zeroed my throttle position in the software. On my way to the meetup, it was running SO MUCH BETTER!! There are some flat spots I’d like to touch up but overall, almost no backfiring and when it did, it was predictable. I couldn’t have been more happy!!

As we rode out from the meetup (4 Warriors and ~20 other bikes), the popping started to get worse. Once we hit the freeway, the backfiring was hot and heavy, barking at almost every 4th to 5th up shift and every time I let off the throttle… it was so bad that when we got to our destination, I felt it only considerate to profusely apologize for all the back fires. I think everyone appreciated that after the shooting-gallery I had just put everyone through.

So, back to the drawing board (and I mean calling Ivan on Monday). I’m considering making marks on my BrakeAway cruise control so I can tell exactly what throttle position I’m at during key events. That should really help too to diagnose my problems. I’ll post that when I can.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,876 Posts
On the freeway did the header pipes feel hotter than before? (Maybe too lean up high)

After the low rpm street riding to destination, when you shut the motor off, did you smell raw fuel? (Maybe too rich down low)

The map can be wrong in several places as you know. But start addressing one rpm range. It'll happen fast after you get the first one solved.

Relax. It'll come out fine.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now with what you said that it got worse the hotter the bike got. I know I know but are you sure there isn't a header leak? Or even an intake leak?
I’ll check again. Might be a little while…

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
Hey Random Guy, for what it's worth my mods are very similar to yours and from day 1 the Ivan's flash solved nearly every issue I had with the bike, haven't had a backfire since. The one BIG difference between your mods and mine is I have the Cobra Auto Tune. Seems worth looking at given your struggles? Remember though, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey Random Guy, for what it's worth my mods are very similar to yours and from day 1 the Ivan's flash solved nearly every issue I had with the bike, haven't had a backfire since. The one BIG difference between your mods and mine is I have the Cobra Auto Tune. Seems worth looking at given your struggles? Remember though, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...
I've considered an auto-tuner multiple times. I wasn't planning on messing around with many mods and I found a PC-III for cheap before I did everything a while back so that's what I've got. But after all the hoopla about Ivan's Flash, I finally decided to take the plunge over the holidays and take advantage of his little holiday sale.

That's when my issues started. I wish we could read what the auto tune is running with regards to fuel settings but I know that's easier said than done... MUCH easier said....

It shouldn't be too hard to dial this in, but constraints on my time make it a much more lengthy process. In fact, virtually all of my posts on here are while I'm at work as that's the only time I have available to post. Ironic, right?!? My time away from work is so filled up, mainly with my daughter so I'm not actually complaining, that I don't have the time to really do the work needed... So, this project is going to drag on much longer than it should.

In the meantime, I appreciate any and all feedback and input as who knows, it might just be the right bit of info or advice I need to knock this out.

Right now, I've got several items to check more in depth to confirm my back firing is indeed from my map and not from other sources, such as loose AIS block off plates, exhaust leak (which I feel like I've confirmed, but I should check again in a more thorough manner, etc. Then it'll be time to start reading my plugs to confirm my ECU CO settings are correct. Then looking closer at my map at various RPM's/speed/throttle positions...

In the meantime, I'll be looking for an inexpensive, used auto-tuner (I can look for it, may not find it, but I can look) as my budget was blown to bits with unexpected medical and dental issues... should finances change anytime soon, I'll just swap my tuner and be done with it. For now, though, I'm learning a ton and look forward to learning more.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Alrighty. It's 10pm here and I've got a little ride on Saturday that I want to make so here I go.

1. I called Ivan today. He sent his Warrior map. Looks MUCH leaner than the ones I've been running but I gotta trust that it'll do the trick. I'll report on this later.

2. I think I'm done with my loud Speedstar Gen II at the moment. I'm by no means planning on selling it, but I am going to put my stock water heater back on tonight, if for no other reason than so I can do all the Ivan map install stuff tonight (adjust TPS voltage, load the map, etc). Also, I've found that at least some of the group rides, I'm by far the loudest guy in there. I don't need to get cops attention so I'm going to go stealth for a little while. On my last ride, guys were pushing their limits to get in front of me after they got tired of hearing all the pops and back-fires.

3. I still want to do the water heater mod so with my stock pipe back on, at least I'll be ready to just swap the cans when I'm ready. For now, I think I'll like the quiet... I know everyone else will.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks! Got her started up around 11:30pm, loaded Ivan’s map, checked a few other things, then put her to bed and did the dishes. Gotta keep wifey happy so I can keep playing with my toys. 🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Test ride this morning. I loaded Ivan's map last night. It definitely seems to have helped with the back-fires, but I still had a half dozen during some heavy decel. Luckily, my stock pipe muffled them so well no one would know unless you knew what to listen for.

I do notice that she pulls harder now. So much so that now I definitely need to do the 3-plate mod. I have all the materials so I just need the time now. Will probably be another midnight garage night project.

Still want to do some verification work on this map, though, to ensure I'm running a close enough to right air:fuel mix. Might be a while, though...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hey Random. Are you sure you don't have exhaust leak? I had one at rear jug from broken exhaust stud. It caused backfiring like you describe. It was very hard to notice the broken bolt until I took the rear pipe off then the little header pipe was flopping around like teats in the wind.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Hey Random. Are you sure you don't have exhaust leak? I had one at rear jug from broken exhaust stud. It caused backfiring like you describe. It was very hard to notice the broken bolt until I took the rear pipe off then the little header pipe was flopping around like teats in the wind.
Funny story. I actually DID have an exhaust leak from my front cylinder. When I swapped my stock exhaust back on, I never torqued the nuts. I had struggled so much with the shield that I lost track of tightening those nuts. Well, the other night, on a ride, I was listening to my exhaust a lot closer and realized there was a super minor leak that I could "control" with throttle (get on it, got loud... close throttle, hear sucking...). Then I went over all my steps I had executed and realized that when I was tightening the fasteners on the front pipe, it was the fasteners for the shield but I never did the nuts... I tightened them the next day and WOW does she pull now!! Still have the occasional backfire, but not like before.

I still want to look into the map a little more and potentially put my Speedstar's back on, but for now, I'm loving the quiet as I can jet out at night without worrying about waking up my daughter.

Pic for reference for those that don’t know what a stock front pipe looks like.
Eye Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
1,193 Posts
I’ve had an interesting day with regards to dyno tuning. I finally found a place that would do the Warrior. So it’s going to cost me $600 where 50% is paid up front and it not refundable. So I told them I had a PC3. So I was just about to make an appointment when I get a phone call from the Dyno place. They said “ oh we don’t do dyno tuning on those old machines” So to get it done they wanted to add an extra $800 for the latest Power Commander. I told them that $1,400 was a tad too much to pay.
So the biggest problem with the maps on here is that they were done in the Northerm Hemisphere. I’ve also noticed that when I send a map to the PC I notice if I look at it a few days later that the map I have sent to the unit isn’t there, the map it shows is all zero’ed out. Very confusing indeed and I too if that I’m still looking for a tacho.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Terrible news, mate! Maybe either there’s something wrong with your PC3 (I was told by a local dyno guy he wouldn’t touch mine too) or the lack of the tach is causing some memory problems (not likely). Perhaps it is time for an upgrade to an auto-tuner like the Cobra so you can knock two birds with one stone.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts