RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it has been suggested we have a separate thread for reviews of this now available product so here we go. Please post your experiences here.
Hopefully this eliminates the need to go through the 10 or so pages of the original thread in group buy.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got mine today, threw it in and got a short ride in, about 10 miles. I have the Cobra autotune, Speedstar pipes, Church VBAK, Dyna coils and Magnecor racing wires. Bike started right up, let it warm for a minute and off we go.

I give it a mile or two because the Cobra needs to "learn" as it goes and after that I start road testing. Immediately noticeable is the smooth on-off throttle transition, no more jerking forward or back, WAY smoother almost like a ride by wire setup. Awesome. Noise on decel is just like I remember from the early 70s watching the McLaren Can Am cars at Laguna Seca when they would let off coming up the hill before the corkscrew; intoxicating.

Power is smoother and the bike definitely pulls harder, but where it is REALLY cool is 4th gear roll on which is NOTHING like it was before. Caught me by surprise the first time I tried it, I was like "HOLY SHITT!" Oh, and it is more than happy to keep building power much higher than the 4500 it used to crap out at.

Overall, bike is MUCH smoother, pulls WAY harder in upper gear roll ons, has more power (no, I did not put it on a dyno so I do not know if it now produces in excess of 500 rear wheel horsepower) and solved all of the fueling issues I have always had with the bike. Plus keeps pulling higher in the rev band. Far more enjoyable. Oh, and that decel noise? Guessing it will make certain females want you bad. Not kidding...

Ivan, I can't thank you enough for not only taking this on, but hitting it completely out of the park first time at bat. You sir are an artist. __________________

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Ok, it has been suggested we have a separate thread for reviews of this now available product so here we go. Please post your experiences here.
Hopefully this eliminates the need to go through the 10 or so pages of the original thread in group buy.
Moved to Product Reviews from Warrior General Discussion Forum.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops, thank you Sang!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just did my test loop with Ivan's reflash.WOW.. The only thing I would also add to California cruiser's review is Smooother,way less vibration. I run a P/R 110 kit,speedstar cams,springs, K&N's and Cobra CVT with a pro pipe.Ivan will call U on the phone as he reflashes your ECU. He has more than just one program.It is customer service to the Max... I would say the best money I have spent on my Beast.

·
Administrator
28,599 Posts
Well, I slaved-away for 12 hours and then went for dinner with wifey. Got home and unplugged-replugged and grabbed the key. Oh. My. God. Even in the garage. The sound is awesome. The throttle response is inspiring. Come 0-Light-Thirty I'm outa here for a ride!

Ivan's ECU Reprogramming plugged-in 25 March 2015.
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro CVT 92-1772AT and -AIS
Yamaha 2-1-2 Speedstar exhaust SPD-5PX09-90-04.
Churchkey VBak with K&N RC1290's plus chrome LCV filter.
Stock tire sizes, pulleys, trans gears, pistons, etc.
I will check CO1 and CO2 on this ECU tomorrow.

The motor still idles rock-solid but the throttle roll-on response is inspiring!

Come-on tomorrow!

·
Administrator
28,599 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I got lost on Mt Hood much of the day yesterday. With the reprogrammed 2004 ECU installed on my bike, my plan was to ride up there and mess-around on known roads and then pull over to adjust CO1/CO2 to match the original stock values on my 2003 ECU, and then ride around more. A comparo of sorts.

When she fired-up cold, it was again instant, blam up she came. I suddenly realized the cold start idle did not seem to be higher as if maybe the LCV wasn't being controlled anymore. I will look into that in the coming days, I might have simply blown-it-off and not noticed the high-idle. Either way, the Beast's idle was solid.

I geared-up and slid out the driveway, rode to the highway toward Mt Hood and blasted to 55 smoother than ever before. The pesky off-idle hesitation is gone and didn't rear its head even once all day. I went thru the small town along the way at the requisite 25 mph and it was easier than before, more 'normal' and more controlled to roll steadily that slow. Not one 'pop' out the exhaust and only twice were there small 'backfires' up the intakes when starting from a stop light, and I attribute both to the still-installed fuel tuner and it'll be an easy fix.

The bike's sound was more than I ever expected or hoped. The Speedstar exhaust was singing to me like it did back when I had perfectly-tuned the PC3-USB. But the voice was deeper and had more grunt and rolled-on like a true 1969 Chevelle SS 396 off the line and through the gears.

I'm astounded and happy that the engine braking when shifting-between-gears is all but gone. I had no idea the extent to which the stock ECU creates engine braking. Even tho the service manual describes some conditions where it does, there are other conditions not mentioned where engine-braking happened before and I now recognize it was the ECU only because now it doesn't happen and it makes me smile.

Speed-shifting was easier and softer (which I seldom do . . . but had to test). When going down declining mountain roads the engine braking did not help as much as it did before to maintain speed so effort was required to stay within sensible limits for the place and time of day.

Acceleration has quickened, seat-o-pants. Motor vibrations don't begin until 60~70 mph and are less intrusive. I did not elect to hit triples on this day's ride, I had other plans. But the candid fact is this: I was having too much fun and dammit I just rode all day, I didn't change the CO values or play with the fuel manager. I went riding.

It was all highways and back mountain roads and I still have visions of Mt Hood's snowpack gleaming bold white before my eyes then disappearing behind brilliant green trees or a jagged mountain ridge. The ECU swap performed so well that I didn't feel the need to worry, I just rode. My mind was around the next corner, not on the ECU.

There's a few miles of seldom-traveled back roads under trees near Hood and a sweeper just for fun, and I was alone. I can still hear the ~70 in 5th exhaust note dampened off the trees and bounced by the hillside, its that sound I have always loved. Sweet.

I still plan to adjust and compare CO values and etc but I have zero worry because it can only get better. fact is that if Ivan provided a discount for having a personal spare ECU reprogrammed then I'd send in my spare to be programmed for 2-2 exhaust so I can swap exhausts and still be solid.

I've said this before, but it has to be said again. When the gents here who started this whole thing brought it to reality and Ivan jumped on-board and did his magic, I knew this was a no-brainer. Sometimes that early-adopter situation has bit me in the butt and I don't usually join-in early I wait for others. But not this time. This was a no-brainer for me. And its purrr-fect imo.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we are going to see many more positive reviews, this is just a great mod. Sounds like you had a good day Mike!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I've been waiting sense last June to see this project come to completion just so I could read the Reviews, I expect soon to see someone say well I just traded in my Warrior for the new upgraded version and it didn't cost me much at all. To all you Ivanized riders have a great day.

·
Administrator
28,599 Posts
Okay I went for a series of rides on the same road, there and back again, so each ride was identical.

I rode ten miles with the 2004 reprogrammed ECU set just as it was yesterday.
As I posted earlier the settings on my 2004 ECU were CO1: -1 and CO2: -7.
I loved the ride, it was sooo much fun and sounded properly mean.

Then I changed CO values to what my 2003 ECU was bumped to: CO1: -2 and CO2: -5.
Nothing much really changed but I noticed a hint more vibration at idle.

Then I changed CO values to the original 2003 ECU settings: CO1: -3 and CO2: -6
Again nothing much changed except the vibration at idle subsided a bit.

Then I turned off the Cobra CVT autotuner so it was no longer managing air:fuel ratio. Vibration at idle stayed pretty much the same. I noticed I had to twist the throttle more to get the same acceleration rate as having the fuel manager enabled. Makes sense. But I didn't notice any other changes, acceleration and performance remained the same it just took more wrist twist.

I plan to leave the bike set-up this way (original 2003 CO values and Cobra CVT off) and check the exhaust for signs of lean conditions over the next couple weeks (weather here is in flux). If I find any lean air:fuel indicators I'll check spark plugs and then act accordingly.

This has suddenly become amazingly simple. I'm completely satisfied with the reprogrammed ECU at this point and if I decide to make any changes in the future it will likely be to simply turn the Cobra CVT back on.

·
Administrator
28,599 Posts
I did have a great day yesterday, and a great day today although it was short rides for a purpose . . . and that is not as much fun as having gotten literally lost yesterday in the stunningly improved experience of riding my Beast!

I think we are going to see many more positive reviews, this is just a great mod. Sounds like you had a good day Mike!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Finally got mine out for 20 minutes. It runs and rides the way i t should...pulls harder. Feels like it revs forever. Feels like a whole different and more capable bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have yet to down load Ivans map into my PCV. My girlfriend has the PC with her and will be home tonight with it. I also need to do the tps adj and throttle opening adjustment. Hopefully it will be done this week. So far I only installed my Ivanized ECU and made sure my Warrior started up, but I wont ride it till I do what else is needed to do.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i must be late to the party here???

what is this ecu reflash that everyone is raving about??

who is this magician ivan????

how do i get one????

:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 383 Posts