RS Warrior Forum banner

381 - 388 of 388 Posts

·
Administrator
28,818 Posts
7/30/2020 7:45 am PT (USA)

Adding Information from Ivan:

I spoke with Ivan ~7am PT (USA) this morning asking him about the current thinking with respect to the need for fuel managers on Warriors.

He said on stock bikes and bikes with intake mods and mid-length or longer exhausts, when installing Ivan's Warrior ECU Parameters Flash, a fuel manager does not appear to him to be needed based on his experiences.

He said his Warrior flash is the same as when it was developed. He also said that over time he has found that the Warrior can run fine with the flash and without a fuel manager unless you have a short (dump) exhaust or internal motor mods or turbocharger or supercharger.

He said if you want to dial-in your tune for peak performance then use a fuel manager. Or if your bike simply does not run right.

I promised Ivan I would post here so he could refer callers to this if helpful to him. Plus he might have more to add or clarify in his own words.

Hope this helps. I will add it into the companion thread for the Group Buy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll add my own personal experience to this subject. I don't have alot of experience with modding or tuning bikes, literally this Warrior is the first bike i've done anything other than simple maintenance to. The information on this site is endless and the mods plentiful so I've since completed many of them with success. The only engine "performance" mods I've done so far have been the Ivans Flash and Ivans stock airbox lid with K&N air filter along with Cobra Speedster Swept exhaust. I was under the same impression that a fuel tuner was not needed, and maybe it isn't "needed". However, after doing endless reading and chatting with "Arizona" I decided that I would take the plunge and order the Cobra Powrpro Black Autotuner. I installed the tuner about 5 days ago, which is a very simple install. All I can say is "wow", what a difference it made! Not only are the "throw you off the back of the bike" gains very noticeable, it pulls like crazy in every gear, but it also seems much smoother getting on and off the throttle, less of the herky jerky when trying to maintain a certain speed through town. The other thing that is noticeable is the bike seems to run much cooler, I'm thinking it was pretty lean before and I could really feel the heat from the exhaust on my right leg, not so now. I have no regrets buying the Cobra fuel tuner, as I said previously it may not be "needed", but I can sure tell the difference for the better. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
7/30/2020 7:45 am PT (USA)

Adding Information from Ivan:

I spoke with Ivan ~7am PT (USA) this morning asking him about the current thinking with respect to the need for fuel managers on Warriors.

He said on stock bikes and bikes with intake mods and mid-length or longer exhausts, when installing Ivan's Warrior ECU Parameters Flash, a fuel manager does not appear to him to be needed based on his experiences.

He said his Warrior flash is the same as when it was developed. He also said that over time he has found that the Warrior can run fine with the flash and without a fuel manager unless you have a short (dump) exhaust or internal motor mods or turbocharger or supercharger.

He said if you want to dial-in your tune for peak performance then use a fuel manager. Or if your bike simply does not run right.

I promised Ivan I would post here so he could refer callers to this if helpful to him. Plus he might have more to add or clarify in his own words.

Hope this helps. I will add it into the companion thread for the Group Buy.
When did you get your flash done? The newer flashes are supposed to have the fuel mapping in the ECU Program where I know the older ones did not. I ask this because I originally had the Powerpro Closed Loop (O2 sensor hookup) and it just didn't run right. I did the Ivan's flash recently on my Raider and removed the PowerPro before riding it per Ivan's recommendation and it rides great, extremely improved performance, but I get very subtle decel pops as if it is running lean and not getting great mileage. I also have the K&N mod and cobra swept exhaust and the flash, different bikes but similar enough setup. I am considering putting the Powerpro back on. When you put the Powerpro on did you hook the Powerpro in the O2 sensor since it is part of Ivans procedure to leave it unplugged? Also what made you want to add it? Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I'm searching for answers!!:geek:

·
Administrator
28,818 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I was among the first to buy the Cobra CVT for the Warrior. Because of the troubles, some of the guys connected with Cobra and they modified the CVT with one internal dial to dial-in warm idle. A few years later they introduced the Black model CVT with adds wifi.

Of course the Warrior ECU has a complete fuel map with instructions built-in. My understanding from his posts here is that his Warrior flash does not change the ECU fuel map. It changes the parameters surrounding the fuel map.

I believe it is the same with the Raider, just from conversations with others, but I have no personal experience with the Raider systems.

If Ivan's Warrior flash makes actual changes to the stock fuel map that is inside the ECU then it seems he would have said that when we talked. He is incredibly awesome to talk with, and next time I have the opportunity I will ask, and if anyone here on this forum with his Warrior flash has the opportunity to ask him, it would be great to post it here.

I have to say that I really believe his flash does not change the stock fuel map itself, just from conversations and everything he posted here. If he made some changes VERY RECENTLY then maybe get confirmation from him and then post here if you want. That would be helpful for certain!

Thanks for you great first post. Do you have a Warrior too?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the response! Although I do love the Warrior and may end up with one for the right price someday, I opted on a deal for a mint 2014 Raider SCL that I could not pass up. I also have a 2001 YZF R6 that I love as well. I am a Yamaha guy as all my toys end up being Yamaha so I respect the full lineup and love to learn about everyone's experiences. I also talked with Ivan and he is definitely a great guy and I respect his work. I'm new to my Raider and was disappointed initially after changing the exhaust to the swepts and using the Powerpro, so I did the Ivans Flash and it did make it 1000× better and smoother. I think the last change to the Raider flash is 2017-18. So I don't think it was extremely recent.. I am probably just being picky at this point with the subtle decel pops and since I have the Powerpro at home I was wondering if this would solve my nitpick. I guess it it worth a try, I should have tried it before I pulled it all out. I get worried every time I have to lift the tank off!

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
A few of her have both the Warrior and a Raider like myself. On my Warrior I will admit that the Ivan's flash helped plenty but with the overall feel something was lacking. I was running a little lean and needed to add fuel. Now with the Raider it did transform her and the torque on the lower end is much more apparent as he said there was some torque limiting by Yamaha and other stuff timing related to control that huge beast. I am still planning on getting a PC5 and having the Raider dyno tuned as well to see what I come out with. My Raider has 2 into 1 Freedom combat, open air box with a K&N and Ivan's and it does not pop at all.

381 - 388 of 388 Posts